40 series vs. 50 series

Tasty

:
2003 Protege5
So I had Ikon GT5 rims 17" with 40 series Yokohama Avids, and I slapped the stockers back on with Kumho Ecsta rubber on them (50 series). The ride difference is amazing. I don't know what to do now. I think I actually prefer the look of the stock wheels, and with the Eibach springs it doesn't much matter since overall wheel diameter is almost exactly the same. Any of you guys run 40s and then switch back because of the bumpiness? I may put one side stock and one side with the Ikons and get some thoughts with digital pics.

When I went from the original 50 to 40's I did experienced some bumpiness, but that is to be expected. However, when I replace the tires I went to 215/45/17's and the ride is almost like if you using 50's, very smooth. Remember that 45's if you going 17's is also recommended.

Interesting to know. The guy I bought it from had 40's on these particular 17's. Too little sidewall for me personally. The rubber is brand new though, that's the bummer about the whole thing. Will 45's on 17's rub with a drop? I think I have read mixed results on here. Perhaps that was different combos.

it depends on the wheel offset, If you are using a +48 offset you shouldn't have any problems, ant less than that you should check out "Rishie's Fitment Guide" -search it out.

I had 215/45/17s at first with no lowering & they would rub in the back if car loaded down & hit big enough bump. Now lowered 1.3 with 205/40/17s & fully loaded down doesn't ever rub. I'm thinking the offset on my rims must be a little under 48, like around 45 or so. The 45s were better on bumps but the 40s make the car handle more like it's on rails tho. Always the trade-off.

I rode with 50's for about a year and the ride was great except there was ocasional rubbing with going over big bumps or potholes. The dealer told me it was because with 50's there was about an 1/8th inch gap between the tire and the struts (Tokico Blues). I went with 45's after that when I bought new and yes the ride quality went down a little but the handling is much better (in florida with the rain).Even thou the dealer doesn't want anything to do with putting on 45's. They only like 40's with a 17 inch rim and no lowering.

Shoemakerpom06

The 45s on 17s make the speedo off more. 40s keep it closer to correct. 205/40/17s make it where the speedo says 60 you are really going 59.4. 215/40/17s will be 60.2 which would be closer but you need just the right offset to not rub. My car looked silly with 40s & no lowering. Only stayed that way to get home to replace the springs after getting the tires.

a 205/40/17 is slightly shorter than a 215/40/17

The middle number is the sidewall height of the tire expressed as a percentage of the width.

Oh I get it, I always thought the middle number was a measurement of the thickness/height of the sidewall.

Using a percentage of the tire width makes sense because a sidewall is round and therefore it cannot really be measured accurately.

OK so i dont know the offset on Mazda3 stock wheels, so will they fit my P5 on 205/45/17's lowered on Eibach Prokit springs??????? IM really trying to avoind going 40 series....

Don't know the offset, how much lowered? Incomplete formula..........probably...should...ought to...might

Last edited:
i12drivemyMP5 said:
Don't know the offset, how much lowered? Incomplete formula..........probably...should...ought to...might

I checked Mazda3 Forum and found out the offset on the Mazda3 stocks are 52.5.... So will 205/45/17 or 215/45/17 fit on my P5 with a 1.5" drop? or do I have to go with a 40 series tire?

I would think that that's gonna rub but maybe some forum tire fitment guru will chime in for the definitive answer. Or search for the tire/wheel fitment guide that's on the forum somewhere & see if it helps.

albrieva said:
I checked Mazda3 Forum and found out the offset on the Mazda3 stocks are 52.5.... So will 205/45/17 or 215/45/17 fit on my P5 with a 1.5" drop? or do I have to go with a 40 series tire?

ok... you are getting stock Mazda3 rims and ptting them on your p5?

I have 17x7 in rims on a 1.5"drop, 205/45's and at least 1/4 in clearance all the way around. and that is at +48 offset.

the difference between +48 and +52.5 is the +52.5 will be tucked even more than my rims... Not many people have gone above +50 but i believe that is what the MS Racing Harts offset is...

+52.5 your wheels should tuck, but will they tuck too much?

Bump

albrieva said:

If a 45 series wont fit, will 215/40/17's fit?? My first choice would be a 45 series tire... Anyone know???

I would venture a guess that they will fit -----IF----- the 52.5mm offset isn't too much.. I don't think anyone has mounted a +52.5mm rim, you are probably in new territory... +50 will fit with 205/45...

The biggest trouble I can see with +52.5 mm rims is you cannot just "roll the fender" to get it to fit (if it doesn't), but you can use spacers if you needed (if you trust spacers not to kill you)

Ive got the MP3 Racing Harts on my MP5 with stock suspension and I havent noticed any rubbing.

Back