2016 CX9 Owners Thread

I might be nitpicking here, but I have noticed a couple upholstery quality issues.

First, the driver arm rest seems to have a permanent indent from my elbow now. It has not come back to original form, which is strange considering there is foam under the armrest material.

Second, the door trim where the second row sun shade rests has indents on them from the finger grasp you use to raise the shade. I've had the shades up ever since we took it home, and they are still there.

I know these aren't major concerns, but when you pay $40K it comes with a certain set of expectations.

Does anyone know if there is a setting for the outside rear view mirrors to tilt downward when the transmission is placed in reverse? (I have the signature trim)

Does anyone know if there is a setting for the outside rear view mirrors to tilt downward when the transmission is placed in reverse? (I have the signature trim)

No, the last vehicle that i had that did this was my 2005 Acura TL. for me, the backup camera is sufficient to see the curb on my CX-9.

My 2014 Mazda CX-9 has this feature. I think it's available in Australia but not in the USA on the new cx-9

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My daily commute is 103 miles round trip. My Ford Edge was just under 6 years old and I had 145K on it. It was not a turbo and I had to replace the transfer case and the tranny was starting to slip. I'll take my chances with a very skilled Mazda engineering group and their turbo.

I agree. I had a Volvo S40 2005 Turbo and never had an issue with the Engine or turbo parts. Sell it at 178k, no issues at all. Turbo are super reliable this days, and Mazda add extra efforts to improve heat dissipation and other stuff. I pay 250 USD and my warranty was extended from 3 to 6 years and from 60 to 125k miles, so everything is covered by the warranty. I trust in Mazda. I had an cx9 2011 sport and never ever had an issue. I expect my CX9 Turbo 2016 GT AWD last at least another 5 - 6 years without issues.

I'm at the dealership and yes, you can adjust the trunk height if it's too low for you, You have to manually adjust it by pushing the lid up by hand to the height you want, then hold the request button until you hear two beeps and you're set, the trunk lid will open to the setting you set manually.

Obviously, vice versa if you want it intentionally low height and not hit garage ceiling,

This should be in the owners manual, but I'm not sure, I haven't bought the new cx9 yet.

Sidenote: in the sun, honestly the machine grey is not much different than the old meteor grey,

Thank you.

You send me exactly the same instructions I received from my dealer. I try it and works. The only difference is this instructions apparently are for the old cx9. The new cx9 when you press the button, you hear a long beep and nothing happens. Keep it pressing the button and then you hear 3 beeps. Now you are set.

I read the manual in full and don't find this instructions. There is another items regarding the trunk internal sensors to avoid hitting your head during closing and other stuff, but nothing about the custom adjustments.

209,000 miles on my 2010 CX9 GT... I travel 165 miles per day and....not one problem. Ever!!

I'm wondering if you need to sell your cx9 with so many miles, if someone will want a car with 165k miles. Wow, I sell my cx9 2011 with only 42k miles in order to get the new cx9. I was about to get the Pathfinder last year but when I see the new cx9 in the LA show, I just wait. And yes, I'm happy I now have this new GT AWD. I really love it!

209,000 miles on my 2010 CX9 GT... I travel 165 miles per day and....not one problem. Ever!!
Although that Ford transfer case in your 2010 CX-9 AWD doesn't even have a drain plug, but you must be fully aware the problem on that transfer case and change the gear lubricant very frequently otherwise that transfer case couldn't last 209,000 miles.

My 2014 Mazda CX-9 has this feature. I think it's available in Australia but not in the USA on the new cx-9
Like 8-way power driver's seat, this's another feature used to be there but been taken out from new CX-9. I wonder why Mazda keeps doing this, taking out some features were there and are available on all other competitors. Another recent example is some new 2016.5 CX-5 has added memory driver seat, but the adjustments got downgraded from 8 ways to 6 ways!

I wonder if the new CX-9 in Australia has "Side View Monitor" like their CX-5:

"Side view monitor

The side view monitor in Akera models helps you avoid kerbs or obstacles while parking. It displays the side mirror camera image on the central screen.

Clear guide lines of the front left side of the vehicle indicate extremities in relation to potential obstacles that might be in the way.
"

Hi all, just got a 2016 Mazda CX-9 white signature. Is anyone else having issues with seat comfort? I am very uncomfortable. There is no upper back support and the sides of the seat push my shoulders forward, as well as the headrest pushing my head forward. I cannot find a comfortable position, going to get some sort of cushion.

Just curious if anyone has had any issues?

Although that Ford transfer case in your 2010 CX-9 AWD doesn't even have a drain plug, but you must be fully aware the problem on that transfer case and change the gear lubricant very frequently otherwise that transfer case couldn't last 209,000 miles.

Agreed, absolutely no way 2007-2015 CX-9 PTU can go 209K without changing transfer case oil on a regular basis,

can any new 2016 AWD owners please confirm the maintenance schedule on new transfer case

or confirm that there's a drain plug now? thanks

Last edited:
Hi all, just got a 2016 Mazda CX-9 white signature. Is anyone else having issues with seat comfort? I am very uncomfortable. There is no upper back support and the sides of the seat push my shoulders forward, as well as the headrest pushing my head forward. I cannot find a comfortable position, going to get some sort of cushion.

Just curious if anyone has had any issues?
This has been discussed so many times here for lack of adjustments on new CX-9 driver's seat. You should test drive thoroughly on seat comfort as the 6-way power driver seat offers very minimum seat position adjustments. Each person is built differently and now you can only try any possible way to make you feel comfortable. The headrests on many newer vehicles are all like that for safety reason - very close to your head and push your head forward. It took me and my wife a while to get used to it with our 2016 CX-5.

This has been discussed so many times here for lack of adjustments on new CX-9 driver's seat. You should test drive thoroughly on seat comfort as the 6-way power driver seat offers very minimum seat position adjustments. Each person is built differently and now you can only try any possible way to make you feel comfortable. The headrests on many newer vehicles are all like that for safety reason - very close to your head and push your head forward. It took me and my wife a while to get used to it with our 2016 CX-5.

Ive been reading of the lower seat not being able to have tilting option, but I am referring to the back seat/rest, and leaving me to hunch my back forward. Wondering if anyone else has noticed this or has any problems, or it's just me. Are the seats the same shape for all trims?

Ive been reading of the lower seat not being able to have tilting option, but I am referring to the back seat/rest, and leaving me to hunch my back forward. Wondering if anyone else has noticed this or has any problems, or it's just me. Are the seats the same shape for all trims?

I haven't had any issues with the head rest or back seat rest. I like the power seat to be adjusted at a high level to give my legs more room to stretch out but had to lower the seat more than normal to get a comfortable seating position. Being 5' 11" has helped with sitting lower. What I have done to get a comfortable seating position is adjust the seat where I feel it's mostly good and save that to memory. If it's better I save that position in memory but if it's worse I return to what I had before. Makes it easier to adjust without having to start all over each time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

I wanted to list a few more observations. I am approaching 800 miles driving. At this point, i did go ahead and install Xpel Ultimate, which is a paint protection kit. I am so glad i did, as i had my first rock hit the front, and it did an excellent job of protecting the paint.

Testing the Temperatures in the A/C
I own a 2016 Mazda6 (we bought this 14 months ago and it's a 16, go figure), and decided to compare the A/C unit temperatures of both vehicles with my thermal temperature gun and here is what i found. I left each car on highest setting running for 10 minutes, and then shut off the vehicle and took the reading. i couldn't get a steady reading with the gun pointing at the blowing air.

The mazda 6 produced a temperature of about 55 degrees on average.
The mazda CX9 was able to produce a temperature of about 61 degrees on average.

Obviously this is not meant to be a statement of fact, and mostly curiosity, but those who are saying temps seem to take longer to come down in teh CX9 might have a case here. One thing i did notice. When disabling the rear temp control, the air was cooler coming from the A/C vents.

Fuel Mileage
I am on my 3rd tank of fuel, first two were filled with 87 Octane (dealer filled this).. 3rd I decided to fill with 93 Octane to see if there's a difference.
Tank 1: Average 21.6 Mpgs, (mostly highway miles).
Tank 2: Average 20.4 mpgs, (wife had the car for 2 days, but i was getting 22 before she took it).
Tank 3: Averaging 22.8 mpgs, (Only 100 miles into it).

So my take is obviously driving habits contribute heavily, but i don't think there's any huge difference with the fuel type. I certainly do not feel a power difference in type of fuel as i drive mostly between 2 and 4k RPMS. Rarely do i get over that.

Comfort
I see lots of complaints on seat comfort. I can honestly say this is the most comfortable seating i have ever had in a vehicle; and i have owned premium brands like Acura. The leather is noticeably top notch, and the seat position even with only 8 way power adjustable is good enough. This would really depend on your height and weight, but average people (like myself: 5'10", 180lbs) should have absolutely no issues with this vehicle. Rather than complain about the lack of adjustments, go to a dealership and see if you can find a seating position that meets your needs.. If you can't don't buy it. But i certainly wouldn't rule it out just because of the lack of adjustments without trying.

Surprises and Quirks
1. The first thing that i wasn't aware of after purchasing this was the auto high beam feature. I love it, and it works excellent. I never had a vehicle with this but it truly is one of those not noticed, but extremely cool features.
2. Also, i love the heads up display. At first, it was distracting especially getting used to it. But after a few hundred miles, i barely notice it and i certainly never look down to the analog speedometer gauge.
3. The information screen next to the speedometer was well done, especially comparing it to our Mazda6. For each trip, it keeps track of your average mpg, it has the safety feature display, and it even has a compass. I really like the information you get with the different options. A few of them are pointless, like the service due screen. But overall, it's another thing i didn't spend much time with at the dealer.

1. The first quirk i notice: there's really no coin tray. In the center console, i was hoping for some sort of place to keep my loose change, but this doesn't have any. Seems like a small miss.
2. Mazda is weird how it manages power. For example, if you shut the car off, you can't do anything like wind up windows or close the sunroof. In my Ford Edge, after you shut the car off, it would keep an auxiliary power, to do those few things until you opened the door.. So to get past that, you either have to restart the car, or push the start button twice. I know this because the first night i had the vehicle, i left my sunroof open. I completely lucked out that it didn't rain, especially since i don't normally park in a garage. That was a disaster avoided.
3. The sound system is very good, when you get it adjusted right. but i find constantly depending on what i am listening to or what the source is, i have to play with it quite a bit to get it right. It's not a big deal, but something i noticed.

Overall
I love this car. It is the best new car i have purchased, and when you factor in the cost, it's probably the best bang for your buck. It's fun to drive, it has plenty of power, and i have had many people compliment me on how it looks. For a vehicle designed for families, it really gives the class a not so boring choice.

I have now 2 weeks with my new CX9 GT AWD 2016 and I'm more than happy with the purchase.

I had the old cx9 V6 for 6 years so I had a very fresh idea about how the old CX9 compares with the new model.

I use it in the city, highway, when driving alone and with all full 7 seats in use. So far 250 miles driving it so I have a few observations as well:

GPS:

The GPS is not very clever. Sometimes the auto selected route is not the best at all, it's even ridiculous (3 blocks ahead I can go straight and the GPS wants several turn left - right - left).... like a joke. My wife's Nissan GPS and my old MIO are better. Maybe I need to adjust preferences. I used the GPS in the highway last saturday and have really big issues: the GPS restarted 2 times and the screen goes black!. I lost full control of the infotainment system until the system restarted, all this during driving in the highway. I will report this to our dealer tomorrow morning. I don't used the GPS after that.

AUDIO:

The audio have lot of power and great quality. I miss extra features like subwoofer level, Dolby (I had Dolby and Dual EQ in my old Volvo), Graphic EQ. And The audio (regarding high frequencies) are not as good as the audio I had in my old CX9 (I installed Infinity Speakers in the doors). If you move the fade control to hear only rear speakers, the audio is terrible.. TEST IT! and you see it. I don't know why. Maybe is the Centerpoint or other "Sourround" feature in the BOSE AUDIO. You need to leave it in the middle. But there is lot of power and some tracks have incredible stereo and sound. USB, Bluetooth and AUX works very good. I'm using a 32GB FAT32 USB3 memory and browsing is really fast.

ENGINE:

The Turbo engine is amazing. With 7 passengers I never had issues with the power. I need to visit my Doctor who is 30 miles away using the highway and with the old cx9, I need to press the gas pedal hard and the V6 drop 2 gears. I need to go up in rpm in order to keep good speed. With the new turbo, I don't have such issues. I just feel power and more power. Very, very nice.

AWD:

The AWD help me in slippery surfaces so I'm glad I get the AWD. I don't like I don't have any control at all (Like in the Pathfinder). I would like to have some kind of control to select FWD, 4WD and some type of surfaces like sand, rock, etc. but according to Mazda, I have 20+ sensors and the AWD will work in automode as required in realtime.

TRUNK:

I had issues with the trunk. I hit my head every single day. I contacted the dealer and they send me instructions in order to set a more higher position. the instructions they sent me work in the old cx9. the new model setup is slightly different. I adjusted the parameter and now the trunk goes higher when opened with the remote or the open button in the cockpit.

FUEL ECONOMY:

I don't see any savings so far compared with the old v6. Need to test more because I has been in heavy traffic for the last weeks.

SPORT MODE:

Initially I don't believe this will be useful but I use it last saturday about 5 times because I need to pass some cars on the highway. I'm glad Mazda add such a feature. When driving in sport mode is really like driving a car, not an SUV or Crossover.

COIN TRAY:

There is no coin tray like in the old V6. I check in Amazon if I can purchase something to keep my losse change but don't find anything we can use. How they forgot this! (boom02)

THIRD ROW:

Access to third row was very easy. Mazda improved this.

ELECTRONIC PARKING:

This is a great new feature. Is very comfortable compared with the old big pedal for the parking break. In the manual you can read this brake will go off automatically if all doors are closed, you have your gear in D and press the gas pedal (not tested).

I love this Crossover and I'm glad I get it instead of the Pathfinder. Is without doubt the best bang for your buck. Its really fun to drive, with lot of power and great acceleration. I'm happy I can now enjoy to accelerate like when I had my Volvo S40 Turbo, but is amazing this is happening in a big SUV! Friends and family only have compliment on how it looks in the exterior and interior materials. The interior are top notch, nothing to miss from Acura and Infiniti. We was about to get an Infiniti qx60 but the price is lot higher. The interior led lighting in the doors are really cool, the screen is superb and big. The control are very well designed and easy to understand. I dedicated 10 minutes to review all menus and now I can control everyting really quickly.

The rear traffic alert and blind sport alert are very useful. The lights are just incredible with the led in the grills you will never go unnoticed!

cubanomx,

thanks for your review, can you please post a night picture showing the LED grille lighting ?

so far, there hasn't been any pictures of it that I know of, much appreciated.

cubanomx,

thanks for your review, can you please post a night picture showing the LED grille lighting ?

so far, there hasn't been any pictures of it that I know of, much appreciated.

Sorry, I have a bad quality photo... but you can see the led light here:

1.jpg

9.jpg

Last edited:
Back