2016 CX9 Owners Thread

I see a HD Radio regional traffic map but it is huge and you can't zoom in on it and it's not part of the nav screen.

I would love to get real-time traffic routing on the nav --- am I missing something?? Sounds like your nav was able to route around real-time stoppages?

This is what I was using. And yeah, the image was a large map covering the whole atlanta area and it was in the applications menu, not the nav.
Whatever traffic info it was feeding to me (yellow or red roads indicating slowing or gridlock), historical or real-time, was spot on. I can only image that it had to have been real time.

EDIT:
It seems to use this : Clear Channel's Total Traffic HD Network. It appears they have a network of cameras and helicopters around major cities.

http://www.ttwnetwork.com/index.php/sigalert-sample

Last edited:
I love the real time traffic updates that I had on my 2013 CX9 though which I will miss. It gave me alternative routes as I am driving to my destination. Saves me a LOT of time, frustration and headache. Houston traffic can be very nasty.

i would rather Mazda spend what limited resources they have (time/people/money) on getting Car Play/Android Auto integrated into the firmware rather than real-time traffic for their mediocre Navteq navigation.

That would be a very nice upgrade indeed. A lot of people are wanting it and hope Mazda listens and will do the firmware upgrade in the future.

And might as well add the live traffic update feature on their nav, right? Since I'm pretty sure owners could find this be very useful especially if they drive a lot of miles everyday.

i would rather Mazda spend what limited resources they have (time/people/money) on getting Car Play/Android Auto integrated into the firmware rather than real-time traffic for their mediocre Navteq navigation.

With Carplay / Android auto it's possible to mirror the smartphone? It's possible to display the WAZE app in the 7/8 inch screen? Waze it's very useful for real traffic info and Gps.

With Carplay / Android auto it's possible to mirror the smartphone? It's possible to display the WAZE app in the 7/8 inch screen? Waze it's very useful for real traffic info and Gps.

That's the main point of Android Auto/Apple Carplay. Mirrors info and apps from your phone. In the case of Navigation, you get to display Google Maps (world's best maps/navigation) on your screen. And of course Google maps incorporates live traffic.

Yeah you won't be able to mirror Waze which sucks cause it's the best nav there is because of the alerts about cops etc.
It only lets you mirror certain apps - are you sure about google maps? I get the feeling it's only "Apple apps"

With Android Auto the apps aren't really mirrored. You get a trimmed down version of the apps you have on your phone. Regardless I agree Google Maps would be a better replacement. You get live traffic alerts pulled from Waze data.

2016-07-30%2019.31.52.jpg

Here she is - we named her Helen after Helen Mirren - cause she's gray and hot...

Yeah you won't be able to mirror Waze which sucks cause it's the best nav there is because of the alerts about cops etc.
It only lets you mirror certain apps - are you sure about google maps? I get the feeling it's only "Apple apps"

Google maps is way better than the nav that car companies make you pay for. so even if waze isn' supported YET, which im sure will be soon since is owned by Google, having google maps via android auto/apple car play is already a big benefit already

there is a hack for the mazda infotainment system allowing owners to mirror some Android OS version to the 8 inch screen using Castscreen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3FJ5HScUPQ

But I don't know if this is possible in the new cx9

I'm most certainly going to try this when I get my cx-9. I'm an amateur hobbyist hacker I guess you could say. Looks like it should be compatible.

Thanks. Give us updates. I'm pretty sure a lot of owners will be excited.

But the big concern is what are the risks involved? Will it void any warranties? Which I think it will.

I don't know about you guys in US and Canada, but my GT in Mexico has some bulbs that are not LED and I would like to swap them for led bulbs (license plate, rear turn signal, reverse). Does anyone know what color temperature are the LED headlights of the 2016 cx9 (how many kelvins)? I would like to use the same color as the headlights on license plate. Reverse maybe the whitest light and of course yellow for turn signals. Also, any brand you would recommend for durability? Thanks!

I don't know about you guys in US and Canada, but my GT in Mexico has some bulbs that are not LED and I would like to swap them for led bulbs (license plate, rear turn signal, reverse). Does anyone know what color temperature are the LED headlights of the 2016 cx9 (how many kelvins)? I would like to use the same color as the headlights on license plate. Reverse maybe the whitest light and of course yellow for turn signals. Also, any brand you would recommend for durability? Thanks!

Hi. I'm on the same channel like you, I notice some lights are not led. This is not acceptable, I replaced the bulbs for leds in my old CX9 V6. The turn signal in the front are cool leds, for sure.

I'm in MX City and have the same issue. I will check the manual to see the replacements we can use.

And how the dealer knows you updated the firmware if the unit just don't power up?

I don't think this is firmware but software. So there is no risk of bricking it. From what I've read briefly the system runs a version of Linux. And most Mazda Connect systems have Wifi built in, they are just not enabled (or at least a visible AP, again I don't have my CX-9 until tomorrow). So it's a matter of enabling it, SSHing in and making some changes, seems pretty straight forward!

Back