2016 CX5 Grand Touring alternator, 34,000 miles

Greetings all........AAA replaced a fried battery a couple of days ago - it was leaking on top and there was a lot of grey power. The same thing has happened over the last coupe of years and AAA has replaced the batter a couple of times a year. This time the technician said he suspected the alternator was putting too much power to the battery.

With the new battery installed I drove the car around the block but the engine was sputtering badly, was raving highly, the engine was rattling loudly, it wouldn't change gears, the exhaust was spluttering and the engine warning light, handbrake light etc came one. I rested the car for ten minutes and then started the engine and the issues had gone but the check engine light was still on but turned off later in the day. The AAA guy was still there and recommended a diagnostic at the local independent garage. They checked the alternator today but said it was normal and putting out 14 volts. But then afterwards the engine started sounding rough and the exhaust (passenger side) is spluttering. Any thoughts on this please?

Also:

Any tips for servicing the car at this stage of its life with 34,000 miles? Anything to look out for in particular? The brakes need replacing (rears are at 40%) and it hasn't been serviced since about 20,000 miles. Should I avoid a Mazda service center and find something cheaper in Los Angeles?

The car also needs a new set of tires so I was going to go for the Continental Cross Contact LX 25 (unless there's something better) and wondering if I still need the 19s? Does the tire ratio have to be 55?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Back