2016 CX-9 Recommendation

YTD sales of 7,787 units on Mazda CX-9 actually includes at least 1,161 old 2015 CX-9's sold from January to April this year. New 2016 CX-9 started available at Mazda dealers on May 20th, 2016. By looking at sales figure in the US of the CX-9 since May 2016:

MonthMazda CX-9
U.S. Sales 2016
May616
June1,904
July2,243
August1,863

We can see the sign of initial interest of a brand new model with the sales peak. But it worries me the downward trend in August sales.

Look at top-selling mid-sized CUV Ford Explorer which sold 20,980 units, but Mazda CX-9 sold only 1,863 units in August! That means Explorer out-sold CX-9 11 to 1! In August, CX-9 only out-sold Ford Flex a tiny amount, and VW Touareg, Toyota Venza, and Honda Crosstour! No wonder we can hardly see a new CX-9 on the road!

I believe Mazda is still lacking consumer's confidence to its reliability from past history. Even though the quality and reliability have been improving, but they still hit and miss IMHO. The lack of luxury amenities and brand reputation also hurt the Mazda sales too.

You wouldn't believe, this spilt of data is exactly what I was looking at on the cx9 , the drop in August concerns me as well. Have been deliberating since 2 weeks now ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't know where the reliability talk comes from...I've had Mazdas for years and never had any major issues! My 2010 CX9 GT-AWD has 216,000 miles on it and NOT ONE issue!

I don't know where the reliability talk comes from...I've had Mazdas for years and never had any major issues! My 2010 CX9 GT-AWD has 216,000 miles on it and NOT ONE issue!

I agree. My CX9 2011 don't had a single issue in 5 years before we sell it. BTW the reliability was one of the points who direct us to purchase another Mazda. Great reliability, warranty and low price for maintenance services.

Could be a perceived one, but again the new one apparently is a completely new design ground up ....not sure reference to previous models alone drives home the point on reliability

Could be a perceived one, but again the new one apparently is a completely new design ground up ....not sure reference to previous models alone drives home the point on reliability

yes, i think it is perceived. i had a co-worker a few years back who had an OLD mazda (323 anyone?) that he claims was the worst car he ever owned and will never buy mazda again. but Consumer Reports reliability ratings of recent suggest Mazda is one of the more reliable brands during the last 5-6 years or so. however, JD Power surveys suggest otherwise (which i think rates more "initial quality"? not sure what that means...fewer lemons at purchase maybe?). whatever the case, Mazda has a perception issue in the general public and people who don't research deeper into actual data probably will never change that opinion.

For your CX-9, I was surprised you haven't had transfer case, AC fan, and oil burning issues. These're well-known issues on 1st-gen CX-9!

Of course reliability issue I referred is from Mazda's history. Its rotary engines were a POS on reliability from many owner's experience. The reliability when Ford was a partnership was a joke. In fact, many friends of mine were Mazda owners before but they refuse to buy another Mazda vehicle after experienced too many problems. They're questioning my wisdom of getting our first Mazda, a CX-5. And the most questions I received when I was recommending a Mazda is about quality and reliability!

Even right now, Mazda's reliability, although is improving, is still hit and miss IMHO. Most CX-5 owners satisfy its reliability but a few suffered major transmission and engine problems. One guy in CX-5 forum even dumped his 10K-mile 2016 CX-5 due to transmission failure, and replaced with a Toyota Prius. As for our 1-year-old, 13K-mile 2016 CX-5, weak windshield and buggy infotainment system turn out to be true. Cracked windshield got replaced, and sudden non-functional navigation system is still waiting for a dealer visit.

If everything is so great on Mazda, why its sales volume is always at the bottom of the US market? Even Mazda's top-seller CX-5, the sales volume is still at the bottom batch of the compact CUV catagory, only ⅓ of the top-selling Honda CR-V, Toyota RAV4, or Ford Escape!

I agree. My CX9 2011 don't had a single issue in 5 years before we sell it. BTW the reliability was one of the points who direct us to purchase another Mazda. Great reliability, warranty and low price for maintenance services.
Great reliability? If a person concerns only reliability and longevity, I'd recommend a Toyota. Great warranty? I see its 3-year / 36-month new car bumper-to-bumper warranty is only on par with all other car companies who offer the worst warranty. See Hyundai. And low price for maintenance services? Have you checked how often you need a set of new spark plugs on new CX-9 turbo? And have you checked how expensive the Mazda PY8V-18-110 spark plug is for CX-9? For a CX-9 AWD, have you checked how often you need to replace the gear lubricant on transfer case and rear differential? (Although nothing specified other than submerged in water, but 30K-mile on schedule 2 for CX-5, the same AWD system as CX-9) And have you checked how expensive the Mazda Long Life Hypoid Gear Oil SG1 is?

Mazda will NEVER compete in volume...it's a much smaller company!
If you were the VP of U.S. Sales Operations in Mazda North American Operations, and tell Masahiro Moro that the exact words you just said above, see what would happen on your career with MNAO! :)

Small or big, every company wants higher sales volume. Mazda is not in the situation that supply couldn't meet demand. Its sales staying at the bottom of the US automobile market is a fact, even for its top-selling CX-5. The perception of poor reliability on Mazda is still there, and Mazda has to make extra effort to get the trust back. Current hit-and-miss quality and reliability from Mazda simply is not good enough. And it takes time to see the result. I like the innovative thinking from Mazda, but their quality and reliability have to be much better than Toyota and Honda, or they eventually will get absorbed by much bigger car company such as Toyota.

I think one thing to consider with 2016 CX-9 sales is that most potential buyers are waiting for the 2017's. For a few reasons. Lot's of people simply avoid first year for kinks to be worked out. The late release of the 2016 wasn't worth jumping on right away when 2017 is around the corner. From a perception standpoint and even for resale, 2017 is better than 2016. It was a mistake right out of the gate for Mazda to label this a 2016. Even if it had come out way back in January of '16, they still could've called it a 2017. And since this is an all new turbo setup from Mazda, people want to see it proven, at least for a little while. No one wants a major engine issue on a new car, however unlikely as it has been internally tested many 10's of thousands of miles.

If you were the VP of U.S. Sales Operations in Mazda North American Operations, and tell Masahiro Moro that the exact words you just said above, see what would happen on your career with MNAO! :)

Small or big, every company wants higher sales volume. Mazda is not in the situation that supply couldn't meet demand. Its sales staying at the bottom of the US automobile market is a fact, even for its top-selling CX-5. The perception of poor reliability on Mazda is still there, and Mazda has to make extra effort to get the trust back. Current hit-and-miss quality and reliability from Mazda simply is not good enough. And it takes time to see the result. I like the innovative thinking from Mazda, but their quality and reliability have to be much better than Toyota and Honda, or they eventually will get absorbed by much bigger car company such as Toyota.

It's one thing to want to increase volume. It's another thing to "compete" on volume. Honda sells more Accords than Mazda sells cars. They can't just wave a magic wand and suddenly "compete" on volume. Not only does it take many more customers, it takes more infrastructure and plants to be able to crank out the vehicles.

I think one thing to consider with 2016 CX-9 sales is that most potential buyers are waiting for the 2017's. For a few reasons. Lot's of people simply avoid first year for kinks to be worked out. The late release of the 2016 wasn't worth jumping on right away when 2017 is around the corner. From a perception standpoint and even for resale, 2017 is better than 2016. It was a mistake right out of the gate for Mazda to label this a 2016. Even if it had come out way back in January of '16, they still could've called it a 2017. And since this is an all new turbo setup from Mazda, people want to see it proven, at least for a little while. No one wants a major engine issue on a new car, however unlikely as it has been internally tested many 10's of thousands of miles.

Mazda really blew this. The new CX-9 debuted in May--they should have just declared it the '17 and moved on.

You wouldn't believe, this spilt of data is exactly what I was looking at on the cx9 , the drop in August concerns me as well. Have been deliberating since 2 weeks now ...

I think the drop in sales has to due with most folks deciding to just wait for a 2017 even if there is no change in equipment. Why buy a 2016 that in theory has a year of depreciation(even though its only been out for a few months). Every other competitor is either 1) selling a 2017 or 2) giving incentives to get rid of 2016 inventory this time of year(August/September), meanwhile some Mazda dealers are still trying to get close to retail for a CX-9 Signature. I walked away from my most local dealer who only wanted to take $500 off. Fortunately my next most local dealer was willing to take off a more reasonable $2300. At any rate, this is the time of year that you either buy a 2017 or get big incentives on a 2016, Mazda offers neither of those right now in the CX-9.
R.

I think the drop in sales has to due with most folks deciding to just wait for a 2017 even if there is no change in equipment. Why buy a 2016 that in theory has a year of depreciation(even though its only been out for a few months). Every other competitor is either 1) selling a 2017 or 2) giving incentives to get rid of 2016 inventory this time of year(August/September), meanwhile some Mazda dealers are still trying to get close to retail for a CX-9 Signature. I walked away from my most local dealer who only wanted to take $500 off. Fortunately my next most local dealer was willing to take off a more reasonable $2300. At any rate, this is the time of year that you either buy a 2017 or get big incentives on a 2016, Mazda offers neither of those right now in the CX-9.
R.

Well--I'd love to know the OTD price of a '16 Signature with $500 off, vs. a comparably equipped Pilot Elite or Highlander Limited, with the year-end incentives. I bet it's pretty close, since the Mazda's MSRP is $2,000 to $3,000 cheaper to start.

For your CX-9, I was surprised you haven't had transfer case, AC fan, and oil burning issues. These're well-known issues on 1st-gen CX-9!
I had a 1st generation CX9 v6 for 5 years and never ever had a single issue either.

Most CX-5 owners satisfy its reliability but a few suffered major transmission and engine problems.
The engine and transmission in the cx9 is the same used in other models?. I see lot of cx5 here in Mexico City, BTW for each Honda CRV I see, I can view 5x CX5. The same for Civix/Mazda3. There is lot of more Mazda 3 than Civic here. I know myself several people with cx5/mazda 3 and they are all extremely happy with reliability and quality.

One guy in CX-5 forum even dumped his 10K-mile 2016 CX-5 due to transmission failure, and replaced with a Toyota Prius.
I believe this is not very common at all. I had a Volvo and my transmission go kaput in 2 years. I go to a service shop and for my surprise, the shop was full of Volvos, Jaguar and a couple of BMWs.

If everything is so great on Mazda, why its sales volume is always at the bottom of the US market? Even Mazda's top-seller CX-5, the sales volume is still at the bottom batch of the compact CUV catagory, only ⅓ of the top-selling Honda CR-V, Toyota RAV4, or Ford Escape![/QUOTE]

At least in Mexico they increased the sales by 12% in january - march 2016.

it's been pretty quiet on the infotainment reboot issue on the 2016's , could it have been a hot weather issue ? now that the weather has cooled down .....

I read somewhere on the internet that someone's CX-9 would keep rebooting after sitting in the sun +90F , then he bought a custom fit windshield shade and tinted his windows and the reboots went away.......

and also now that summer is over we're hearing less of the reboots issue..... just a thought unless a 2016 chimes in and says otherwise.... and still see reboots in cooler temp weather

Mazda really blew this. The new CX-9 debuted in May--they should have just declared it the '17 and moved on.

It really is simple Marketing 101. I was reading that Kia launched the 2016 Sorento in Jan or Feb of 2015 for this very reason. They came out and said that people simply desire the latest and that includes model year designation. It was an easy decision for them to call it a 2016 and sales have been huge for them. It may be superficial, but that's reality.

it's been pretty quiet on the infotainment reboot issue on the 2016's , could it have been a hot weather issue ? now that the weather has cooled down .....

I read somewhere on the internet that someone's CX-9 would keep rebooting after sitting in the sun +90F , then he bought a custom fit windshield shade and tinted his windows and the reboots went away.......

and also now that summer is over we're hearing less of the reboots issue..... just a thought unless a 2016 chimes in and says otherwise.... and still see reboots in cooler temp weather

Also not hearing much about whether the AC is too weak... ;)

Here's the first one on one video comparison with the Highlander. It's an Australian review but aside from them driving on the wrong side of the road, most things are the same. Toyota had to name the Highlander the Kluger in Australia because of Hyundai's trademark of Highlander in Australia. Anyway, I found interest in this video because these are the only two I'm considering when I buy in about 6 months. The reviewers basically share the qualities I'm torn on.

My quick distinctions:

CX-9
- More fun to drive/dynamic
- More design flare inside and out
- More passionate and engaging to own (less appliance like).
- Feel of more low end torque and smoother transmission
- Better 3rd row seats

Highlander
- Toyota reliability/longevity
- V-6 top end power
- More features available
- More storage space up front
- a little more suitable off road

Based on sales figures from Good Car Bad Car, this is also shocking to me:

Year
Mazda CX-9
U.S. Sales Yearly
in August

This means August sales this year with brand-new 2nd-gen CX-9 is the second worst August since 2010, the first year monthly sales data are available although CX-9 1st-gen was in the US market started with 2007 MY. With new design and all the good reviews, it only out-sold 110 units over the worst August last year with 8-year-old out-going model! Like I said, Mazda CX-9 is not in the situation that supply can't meet demand. I can see there're plenty of new CX-9's at my dealership. I don't think Mazda can "compete" easily with those big auto makers in volume, but if you can't beat your own previous-gen model in sales, I think you have a serious problem.

Back