2016 CX-9 Recommendation

i have a Nexus 6P as well and it kept disconnecting. i then turned my WiFi off while in the car and it seems to disconnect a lot less. if u haven't tried that already, i suggest doing that.

I have a Blackberry Classic and Samsung S5 Mini and have no issues at all with the Bluetooth. My wife have a Samsung A3 (or A5?) and Iphone 5S and no issues at all either in the last 2 months. We have a CX9 2016 GT AWD

I have a GT FWD.

After 1,300 miles; approximately 20 mpg on regular gas in mixed driving with the A/C running constantly in the 100 + degree heat.

The infotainment system failed to boot properly on one occasion. A hard reset cured the issue and it's been flawless since.

How you make a hard reset?

It was the 2017 MDX with tech package. Not sure if it was SH-AWD though.

One thing that my kids wished that my CX9 has is the wide screen overhead player from the MDX. But then again the price tag is not worth the extra money. I can certainly add a factory matched headrest player later on for less then 2k installed.

You can purchase at amazon a tablet base for your CX9. You can find price ranges from 15 to 40USD. You can add one or two to your CX9 and use an Ipad or cheap Tablet for video playing. Today most video material is available via download - streaming so is better than DVD. The Pilot have Bluray but we have bunch of kids videos on mp4 and mkv so the tablet is a better solution. I don't want to convert mkv / mp4 to DVD/Bluray format. Actually we just upload the videos to Dropbox and have all kids videos available on Dropbox so everything is available on the cx9.

I would definitely recommend the car. Even after a month of owning it, I look forward to driving it every morning.

I agree. I look forward to driving this beauty every morning. Enjoy the driving a lot. Lot of fun!

We had a highway trip last weekend and I enjoy it a lot, we had a 400 mile trip with 7 passengers and lot of baggage. Was amazing 90% of the time I drove at 1800rpm (cruise) ! Lot of power!

Thank you all for these wonderful thoughts and observations. Thus far, I have driven the Pilot, the Highlander, the Volvo XC 90, and this. After getting in to the CX-9, and even before driving it, the first two appeared tired and old. The XC 90 has much to recommend it, but gosh, it drives like an old Pickup truck, and its seats, even in the Inscription version, are not even remotely as comfortable as the GT. As many of you are pointing out, it is also quite a bit more expensive, and worse, drinks higher octane gas, without showing much for it by way of mileage, despite being four cylinders. Ultimately, the two features I love about the XC 90 are its adaptive cruise control at low speeds, and its carplay integration -- albeit without the HUD if one uses Carplay for maps.

I loved the suggestion that one test drive this thing five times. I recall, back in the day when I was young, I was told that one should always go on three dates before calling anything off or getting too excited. In this case, I am rather infatuated, and your comments make more a bit more so. But the suggestion about five dates sounds wonderful -- and since are about 3 weeks left before any potential Labor Day savings, I am going to do just that.

One more question, please. Someone lamented the lack of integration of real time traffic. I thought this thing had SIRUS as well as HD radio, and I thought that the sales guy made some kind of pitch about that. Are you sure there is no real time traffic data in the nav system? Not a deal breaker, but it will be good to know.

Once again, many thanks for all your comments. If you have other thoughts, please do keep 'em comin' in.

Best, JK

I test drove the Nissan Pathfinder and Honda Pilot before getting the new cx9. Please notice I had the old cx9 v6 for 6 years so my initial fear was related with poor performance due to the new 4 cyl engine. I was wrong. The new engine is more fun and have lot of power and torque. 310 lb-ft of torque since 2000rpm is a lot. I notice in a very high hill we have near my office where the old cx9 needs to downshift 2 cycles if I want to go up at 50mph. The new cx9 just deliver more and more power... this engine / transmission skyactive design is just amazing. Mazda hit a homerun here.

I had the problem with the NAV reboot 4 times. In my last trip was very anonying and I solved by removing the usb 32GB memory with mp3 music. Perhaps is related and I just need to use smaller USB memory stick.

I don't even test the Volvo because I had a volvo in the past and have really bad experiences (high maintenance prices, issues with battery, brakes and engine supports) and the resale value is terrible (no one wants to purchase it when used, even the Volvo dealer rejected to take my volvo back after only 4 years and 25k miles!). So volvo was out of the equation.

The Nissan Pathfinder was 1500+ USD more expensive (not a real problem) but have rear heat seats, panoramic sunroof and 360 camera view. But looks old and have CVT. CX9 have better interior materials, exterior design, great MPG, a turbo engine, great performance, lot of torque and better handling. So we get the AWD GT Red Soul and very happy with this.

The Pilot was bulky. The cx9 looks and feel better from the interior with such great finishs and materials. Seems like a competition for Infiniti and Acura, for sure.

@panuara -- very interesting. Can you please tell us exactly how you set it up so that the onboard nav unit pulls real time traffic data from the cell phone, please? I'd love to try this out when I test drive the car again this weekend.

@ pholway -- the Volvos, including the inscription, appear to have two different types of seats. I forget the names, but they are akin to comfort and tight fit jeans. On the Momentum series XC 90s, you'll be OK if you are the body type that moulds well with these seats. I am a bit on the thin side of things, being a runner and biker, and both seat types felt like park benches to me. I was expecting the Inscription to be better, given the obvious extra padding, but again, there is something about the shape of these seats that did not work for me. It might just be me. The Pathfinder, which I drove late last evening, appeared to have the most comfortable seats; but gosh, it was such a boring car to drive, compared to the Mazda and even to my old Outback!

I respect that my Aussie post may have no relevance to US market, however, having set up a wifi hotspot in the car (external/portable wifi device I leave permanently plugged in to the USB in the car) I get real time traffic updates along my route and weather report for my destination.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm interested to know as well.

I have the 2016 AWD Sport. So I can't answer #2 on the nav issues, but should have some relevant feedback related to the driving experience. I, too, came from Subaru (2002 WRX). It was a fun little car (modified) so I wanted something similar or as close to a fun driving family car with a 3rd row that DID NOT require premium fuel. Pilot felt floaty and steering was a bit numb. XC90 I liked but it was too pricy and I believe premium was recommended. Cx-9 hit the sweet spot for me for overall driveability. Those engineers really figured out how to make the CX-9 drive like it was much smaller. It handles well for a long, 4300lb SUV. I have no regrets and really like how the turbo kicks in so early in the powerband. And the torque just puts a smile on my face. Makes my daily driving duties (i.e. driving the kids and getting to work) even more enjoyable.

Oh and I went on 3 test drives before buying (leasing). And I'm getting 20.8 avg mpg 80/20 city/highway with the AC on everyday (it's been 90+ degrees since I bought it 2 weeks ago). I'm almost at 700 miles and will admit they've been spirited drives on the back roads where I live which may account for the lower MPG I'm getting compared to others.

I did my test drive number 2 today -- mainly highways this time. Again, love the way this drives. The only issue of course was android auto / carplay not being available. I brought this up with the sales guy, and he, after hesitating a bit, told me that the car does have the capacity, and it is a fairly simple DIY fix. He then pointed me to the source -- without saying anything about whether this will void the warranty (I am sure it will). Here is the URL: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFYsfnatReo

The question is -- what on earth is keeping Mazda from releasing this kind of software themselves?

I did my test drive number 2 today -- mainly highways this time. Again, love the way this drives. The only issue of course was android auto / carplay not being available. I brought this up with the sales guy, and he, after hesitating a bit, told me that the car does have the capacity, and it is a fairly simple DIY fix. He then pointed me to the source -- without saying anything about whether this will void the warranty (I am sure it will). Here is the URL: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFYsfnatReo

The question is -- what on earth is keeping Mazda from releasing this kind of software themselves?

No one on earth can guarantee Mazda will add mirror/Apple Carplay/Android Auto in the future, for future versions or as a firmware upgrade. The video you shared is for cx3/cx5, current cx9 have 0.58 version who is incompatible with the hack. And in the MX forum are some users who broke the Infotainment system with the hack attempt and now only have the Mazda logo on the screen. They go to the Mazda dealer and are now without warranty.

I hope we will have an updated version of the hack stable enough for hacking ours. So far is not available.

And yes, the unit is powerful enough to have mirror and other features. Come on, this unit even have SQL light database.

But I purchase it even with the knowledge we don't have Android Auto and Apple carplay like Pilot because there is other good items here: exterior look, materials, design, performance, turbo, handling, fun and price.

A quick shout out to all of you. Thank you for your candid comments. I went ahead and did everything you recommended -- including test driving it many times (four times to be exact), and in the end, drove home with a Machine Gray GT. Absolutely love the car so far. Real fun to drive. I've had no issues with the aircon, and as everyone remarks, the interior quality is top class. Thanks again!

A quick shout out to all of you. Thank you for your candid comments. I went ahead and did everything you recommended -- including test driving it many times (four times to be exact), and in the end, drove home with a Machine Gray GT. Absolutely love the car so far. Real fun to drive. I've had no issues with the aircon, and as everyone remarks, the interior quality is top class. Thanks again!
Congratulations and enjoy!

Why aren't there many CX9 on the road in east coast? I hear a lot of great reviews and attest myself on that ride quality....but seeing very few to none is surprising. I do see a lot of cx5's thought

Why aren't there many CX9 on the road in east coast? I hear a lot of great reviews and attest myself on that ride quality....but seeing very few to none is surprising. I do see a lot of cx5's thought

i agree....i've only seen one and it happened to be in my own town. early adopter uptake seems low up here....plus Mazda dealer network in northern NJ doesn't have a great reputation maybe?

Likewise, I have seen NONE.

I purchased mine in June. From June to the end of September, I don't see another single CX9 Turbo on the street here in Mexico City.

Was funny because 3 weeks ago I go to eat in a restaurant and see 2 CX9 in the parking lot!. Amazing! but I ask the restaurant owner and figure it out they lease some space slots to a Mazda Dealer located 50 meters from the restaurant. Haha.

http://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2016/09/midsize-suv-sales-in-america-august.html?m=1

US sales fig show that ~7K have been sold YTD Aug ...wonder where are they hiding ...lol
YTD sales of 7,787 units on Mazda CX-9 actually includes at least 1,161 old 2015 CX-9's sold from January to April this year. New 2016 CX-9 started available at Mazda dealers on May 20th, 2016. By looking at sales figure in the US of the CX-9 since May 2016:

MonthMazda CX-9
U.S. Sales 2016
May616
June1,904
July2,243
August1,863

We can see the sign of initial interest of a brand new model with the sales peak. But it worries me the downward trend in August sales.

Look at top-selling mid-sized CUV Ford Explorer which sold 20,980 units, but Mazda CX-9 sold only 1,863 units in August! That means Explorer out-sold CX-9 11 to 1! In August, CX-9 only out-sold Ford Flex a tiny amount, and VW Touareg, Toyota Venza, and Honda Crosstour! No wonder we can hardly see a new CX-9 on the road!

I believe Mazda is still lacking consumer's confidence to its reliability from past history. Even though the quality and reliability have been improving, but they still hit and miss IMHO. The lack of luxury amenities and brand reputation also hurt the Mazda sales too.

Back