2016 CX-5 Loud Clunk when Braking

My daughter-in-law has a 2016 CX-5 with 107K. My son changed brake pads and rotors a week ago because of brake shudder. She has probably driven over a 100 miles since pads and rotors were changed. This morning when she came to a stop after driving 25 miles to work, there was a loud clunk from the front end. Seems to be driver's side. After you come to a stop, there's a loud clunk. Harder the braking the louder the clunk. Also lurched a couple of times when taking off from a stop. Changed ABS sensor, no change. Greased caliper pins, no change. Hopefully video works. Any ideas?

efu

I would guess that the brakes were not replaced correctly. The pads may be sliding around. I would check it ASAP.

Since the caliper bracket ( the bracket that the caliper mounts to which in turn is bolted to the spindle/knuckle) has to be removed to remove rotors, I would suspect the bolts aren't properly tightened. I could see that when the caliper grabs a spinning rotor, that the bracket would shift with a lot of force producing a definite clunk. The torque on those bolts is listed as 68 to 81 ft-lbs in my 2104 shop manual and they definitely need to be tight as they transmit ALL of the braking force to the knuckle. If that's the case, ignoring this is a real safety issue. Applying 68-81 ft-lbs is a lot of effort using for instance just a 3/8" or 1/2" ratchet or wrench.

I don't have any good input, but watched the video and noticed the clunk looks to happen after the vehicle is fully stopped.

Also, the clunk sounds more like sheet metal popping, more of a hollow sound (if that makes sense).

If you stop very gradually, does it still pop?

Often the pads slide in the holder and give this noise on the first forward stop of the day. No problem if that is the cause. Ed

Unfortunately, the problem is the transmission. The cost to replace the transmission is $6500-$6800, which is too much compared to the value of the vehicle.
Thank you everyone for your input!

Unfortunately, the problem is the transmission. The cost to replace the transmission is $6500-$6800, which is too much compared to the value of the vehicle.
Thank you everyone for your input!
Is it the whole transmission or just one part, like the torque converter? I'm surprised no one else noticed in the video:
And not just a clunk. You can see the car shudder.

Back