2014 Mazda3?

Hope the diesel option happens. That would be sweet. I like the Golf TDI from a distance, but after having already owned a VW, I vowed never again. If Mazda offered one, my dilemma would be over.

Hope the diesel option happens. That would be sweet. I like the Golf TDI from a distance, but after having already owned a VW, I vowed never again. If Mazda offered one, my dilemma would be over.

My exact feelings too... Diesel torque in the 3 would be awesome. Hope Mazda corporate sees the opportunity to take some D sales from the German market.

I worked at a Mazda Dealer recently, and there will be a 2014 hatchback out end of this year. they have already scheduled training for it late this summer for employees

Really, that early??
Hopefully they keep the same horsepower and torque ratings for the 6, CX-5 and 3 if the new 3 does get a diesel. I'm still a little boggled at the fact that Mazda's diesel has less power than Mercedes's 2.1 on the GLK 250 despite being a wee bit larger. Could it be because of the lower compression ratio on the skyactiv-d? Also anyone know if they're ever gonna change that puny 5.8 inch screen out for something a little bit larger?

From what I understand the hatchback will be out before the sedan. They are planning on using the 2.5 Skyactive.

The MPG should be higher than the current 3 because the current 3 does not utilize the same header configuration as the 6 and CX-5. So its likely the new 3 will have more HP and Better gas mileage than the current

From what I understand the hatchback will be out before the sedan. They are planning on using the 2.5 Skyactive.

The MPG should be higher than the current 3 because the current 3 does not utilize the same header configuration as the 6 and CX-5. So its likely the new 3 will have more HP and Better gas mileage than the current

huh, so its looking like it'll only be the 2.5 or the diesel? That would be nice if it can top the 6's mpg estimates. Though a turbo'd skyactiv-g on a speed3 sounds good too lol

With it being an ALL new body, and being made in Mexico, it will probably be a good 3-4 years before there is another MS3. Just like the delay from the MSP to the MS3.

As far as motor options, I have no idea what motor options what will be offered, but from what I understand the 2.5 Skyacitive will be the primary for the hatch

I don't really mind if the car is built in Mexico as long as the quality isn't affected.
If what you say is true regarding the MS3, it shouldn't be that hard for Mazda to get the 2.5 or the diesel to match or exceed the hp/tq ratings of the Civic Si or Jetta GLI for those wanting more power. Doubt a car thats projected to weigh at less than 2800 lbs. is gonna need more than 210hp.

I don't really mind if the car is built in Mexico as long as the quality isn't affected.
If what you say is true regarding the MS3, it shouldn't be that hard for Mazda to get the 2.5 or the diesel to match or exceed the hp/tq ratings of the Civic Si or Jetta GLI for those wanting more power. Doubt a car thats projected to weigh at less than 2800 lbs. is gonna need more than 210hp.
You can never have enough power!

More power is always good as long as it doesn't sacrifice mpg's too much especially for the 3. IMO, the 3 should come with 4 trims, skyactiv-G 2.0 (155hp), Skyactiv-D (173-200hp), Skyactiv-G 2.5 (210hp) and Speed3 (250+hp) Personally, a 210hp skyactiv-g 2.5 hatch will be a perfect car to drive daily especially since diesel prices seem to never go cheaper than premium in my part of LA.

Anyway, anyone see the interior spy shots of the new 3 yet? http://www.autoblog.com/2013/05/08/2015-mazda3-interior-spied-for-the-first-time/
So far so good for the interior, liking it a lot.

nope, they are moving them to Mexico so they compete cost wise with the other compacts in the market

Reports indicate we may see a new Mazda3 sometime this fall. The plant in Mexico is not scheduled to open until sometime in the 2014 calendar year. It looks to me that the next Mazda3 we will see will come from Japan. Also, If there is a 2.5L offered, a 2.0L will be too. No way Mazda abandons the 2.0L this soon into production. I suspect the new Mazda3 with a 2.0L motor could reach 42-43mpg highway, or something like that. If it is not higher than the 40mpg the current one gets, it will be a disappointment.

I keep seeing the diesel mentioned as well. Very curious to see if speculation is true. I'm still waiting for the Mazda6 diesel. Still no sign of it here State-side.

Reports indicate we may see a new Mazda3 sometime this fall. The plant in Mexico is not scheduled to open until sometime in the 2014 calendar year. It looks to me that the next Mazda3 we will see will come from Japan. Also, If there is a 2.5L offered, a 2.0L will be too. No way Mazda abandons the 2.0L this soon into production. I suspect the new Mazda3 with a 2.0L motor could reach 42-43mpg highway, or something like that. If it is not higher than the 40mpg the current one gets, it will be a disappointment.

I keep seeing the diesel mentioned as well. Very curious to see if speculation is true. I'm still waiting for the Mazda6 diesel. Still no sign of it here State-side.

Exactly, there's just no way they're gonna drop the 2.0. What looks to be happening is that the 2.0 is getting stuck as the base engine with the 2.5 and diesel being optional engines. The fact that there's cars coming out that slot between base Golfs and the GTI/Golf R, cars like the Veloster Turbo, Jetta GLI, and Forte SX, just says that it would be worth Mazda's time and cash to get a second version of the 2.5 hovering around 200-210hp to sit in between the base 2.0 gas car and the MS3

On another note, did anyone take a closer look if that nav screen in the spy shot looks larger than the one on the CX-5 and 6?

Last edited:

That is what I have heard as well. Mazda is trying desperately to get the new Mazda3 into dealer showrooms before the years end, but it appears that they will not have the sedan ready for production at launch.

Back