2014 CX-5 AWD Transfer case seal dripping

dahalcon

:
2014 CX-5 GT
mazda leak.jpg

I've got a Hypoid SG1 fluid leak on the front end of my 2014 GT AWD. I've wiped it down a few times to be sure it's coming from the arrow-indicated spot. My question is: How tough is it to replace that seal in there? And what would I tell a mechanic if it's more complex than I want to bite off? I'm calling it a Driveshaft Axel Seal, but I think that might refer to the side ones that go to the front wheels, not the one going longitudinally to the rear wheels. Any tips appreciated!

Off hand, and I'm purely guessing, I'd say it's one of those you pry out with a screwdriver and tap the new one back in with a seal installer. You'd have to pull out the axle shaft.

Off hand, and I'm purely guessing, I'd say it's one of those you pry out with a screwdriver and tap the new one back in with a seal installer. You'd have to pull out the axle shaft.
Thanks, yeah, that's what I'm figuring. I've seen what the seals look like, but I've got no clue how tricky it might be to drop an axle shaft. I was hoping you'd say "and that's easy with just two bolts!" :)

View attachment 327097
I've got a Hypoid SG1 fluid leak on the front end of my 2014 GT AWD. I've wiped it down a few times to be sure it's coming from the arrow-indicated spot. My question is: How tough is it to replace that seal in there? And what would I tell a mechanic if it's more complex than I want to bite off? I'm calling it a Driveshaft Axel Seal, but I think that might refer to the side ones that go to the front wheels, not the one going longitudinally to the rear wheels. Any tips appreciated!
If you have never changed the gear lube in front transfer case, the factory fill for 2015 CX-5 and prior is traditional 80W-90 GL-5 gear oil. Mazda switched to SG-1 since 2016 CX-5 and it’s very expensive. Have never dropped the longitudinal drive shaft on CX-5 but had done that on my old 1987 VW Vanagon Syncro. It shouldn’t be too difficult, and you work it from rear and remove one section at a time, and pull it out from the leaking seal.

Back