2014 CX-5 2.5 Liter Option

I never danced beyond the VIII, as our son was born and I couldn't trust myself with boost. That said, Shiv tuned my car on a few occasions down in Georgia when he flew into Dyno4mance. Small world!

Really? ;)

I used the boost metaphor to explain what the car would feel like pre to post break-in, not literally implying the two Skyactiv engines I own were aspired in a fashion I wasn't aware of.

Yes, really.

And yes we know how you were using boost metaphor, no prob.

I never danced beyond the VIII, as our son was born and I couldn't trust myself with boost. That said, Shiv tuned my car on a few occasions down in Georgia when he flew into Dyno4mance. Small world!

Yeah, Dyno4mance! Same for me. I assume you know Andrew, but what about Seth Hester and Eric Waterman? (both live in Nashville.) If so, yeah, talk about a small world!

More journalist rumors say that the 2.5 will only have 170hp.

I will be VERY dissapointed on both accounts if that is the case. This engine should be 2.3 for efficiency, and defnitely no more than 2.4. The koreans have been getting 200hp out of their DI 2.4 for a few years and it doesnt even have skyactiv high compression.

But mazda cant get past 170hp with a 2.5 and high compression?!!!

It SHOULD be 2.3, close to 200hp, and get same or BETTER MPG as the 2.0 due to lighter engine load and more aggressive overdrive gearing.

but that wont happen, because mazda still cant design a competitive engine.

No one knows whether Mazda is even going to make 2.5L Skyactiv - these just speculations.
As for the koreans, they mostly over-promise and under-deliver, in both power and MPG terms - go to their forums and read about users complains of poor mileage they get.

No one knows whether Mazda is even going to make 2.5L Skyactiv - these just speculations.
As for the koreans, they mostly over-promise and under-deliver, in both power and MPG terms - go to their forums and read about users complains of poor mileage they get.

Absolutely true. We bought a 2011 Hyundai Elantra as a daily driver expecting to hit 40mpg but never happened. The most we got on the highway was 34mpg...at best...totally under deliver:(! On the other hand, the 2012 VW Passat TDI my wife drives over delivers. We consistently get 42mpg (90% hgwy / 10% city) and the torque is so addicting:)! Everyone has to experience the new diesel engines. They made a believer out of me. Just can't wait for the CX-5 Diesel to make its' debut.

I wouldn't hold my breath for the 2.5L . If anything, the 2.2 Diesel will get here in the CX-5 before the 2.5L IMO.

Yes, I won't be holding my breath for either engine (2.5L or 2.2 diesel) in US market, could lead to a purple face.

As for a 2.5L, don't bet on it. If we get another engine it will either be diesel or turbo.

the only engine option you will see on the CX5 will be the diesel option.

As the 2014 CX-5 w/2.5L engine is soon to appear in dealerships......

Great news about 2.5L, (even if it's only 8 months after this thread was started) better late than never. Since the 2.5L is here today in US in the Mazda6, shoudn't be long.

the only engine option you will see on the CX5 will be the diesel option. want more power, you'll have to look at the CX9. (CX7 is being cut from the line up)

As the 2014 CX-5 w/2.5L engine is soon to appear in dealerships......

if you were posting just to say "I told you so"... let me say, i'm glad to be wrong! a bigger engine will only make the CX5 that much more of an attractive option against the competitors. more sales and volume means more investors, which means more money and a longer life.

if you were posting just to say "I told you so"... let me say, i'm glad to be wrong! a bigger engine will only make the CX5 that much more of an attractive option against the competitors. more sales and volume means more investors, which means more money and a longer life.

Cool! I can't say "I told you so" since the CX-5 wasn't even on my radar when those statements were made and I just joined the community last month after a family member took delivery of a 2013 CX-5 after my recommendation. Unless there's something else on the near horizon that I don't know about, I'm planning on the CX-5 2.5L as my next vehicle sometime between it's release and this spring. My last Mazda was similar to this beauty, a 1988 626 LX Hatchback:

Mazda-636-hatchback-turbo.jpg

Back