2014 CX-5 2.5 Liter Option

My next mazda will be diesel for sure. Had they offered it this year I'd have bought it. I marked out the few gas stations that sell it around me and realized while I couldn't go to most, there were a few that had it and it would work for me.

In California not every gas station carries diesel. And it tends to be 5% more costly than premium fuel.

I'll take 30% better mpg even if the costs are 30% higher for fuel. It'd wash out economic gains but we'd have a much more powerful engine. Thankfully there still is an economic advantage over the mpg and increased fuel costs.

Wow, 30% mileage gain over 2.0L, if only that was true.

Back to the 2.5L Skyactiv rumor/OP's topic, haven't seen any other source mentioning this so far.

Wow, this dissolved into the typical OMG DIESEEEELLL talk quickly, didn't it?

As for a 2.5L, don't bet on it. If we get another engine it will either be diesel or turbo.

Sure, but not every gas station sells diesel fuel, do they?

I fear I'd always be worrying about where I could and couldn't refill. But I've never owned or even thought about a diesel before, so I have no idea what it's like.

The US commercial transportation system runs on diesel....you can find it anywhere that you see semis and other delivery trucks driving....so everywhere. I would have bought the diesel had it been available in the US.

For those of you that don't have much knowledge of modern diesels, check out this to get an idea of the performance potential.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audi_R10_TDI

They absolutely dominated Le Mans series when they came out.

Does the 2.5 (or 2.3) SKYACTIV engine officially exist?

I don't think I've seen it mentioned except as wishful thinking for the Mazda6. But most things I read say the Mazda6 is getting the 2.0 SKYACTIV engine.

I'm kinda thinking that we could possibly have a awd turbo 2.0 skyactiv speed cx5. What do you guys think of that? 250ish hp, 26mpg combined? 20" wheels, lowered, bigger brakes and MT. Starting around 29k.

the only engine option you will see on the CX5 will be the diesel option. want more power, you'll have to look at the CX9. (CX7 is being cut from the line up)

I'm kinda thinking that we could possibly have a awd turbo 2.0 skyactiv speed cx5. What do you guys think of that? 250ish hp, 26mpg combined? 20" wheels, lowered, bigger brakes and MT. Starting around 29k.

Sounds good! But 29k?!?! I would want leather seats.

That wiki link has incorrect information. Some of the quoted links are not valid any more. CX-5 fuel economy by metric system, based on Mazda Australia, is 6.9 L/100km combined for 6AT AWD. It is 5.7 combined for 6AT 2.2L diesel AWD, so reduction of consumption by 17.5%.

Also, note that mpg calculation is not linear. You need to really calculate fuel consumption, not mpg when consider percentage of increase or decrease. 10mpg to 15mpg improvement is vastly different vs. 30 to 35 mpg improvement.

Given that the diesel fuel cost is high, and that the diesel model will surely be more expensive (probably $2,000 USD at least), the diesel will be a tough sell in the U.S. - and that has been the case for all diesel cars these days. Unlike other markets, U.S. diesel fuel price is not subsidized.

Since 6MT is not gonna be available with the diesel, I think maybe a larger 2.5L petro may be relevant for vehicles such as CX-5 and CX-9, but the power output really needs to exceed 200 HP though. I think a turbo charged 4 based on Skyactiv will be coming along to power the next Mazdaspeed3 and CX-9. 250hp/250torque would be good to have.

What is it with the 2.0 gas engine not having enough power. I personally think it does a decent job, peppy in the city and decent on the highway especially considering the 34 mpg I just got. With a 25% increase in displacement you'll get an equally big hit in the mileage numbers. Mazda already tried offering a more powerful engine in the CX7 and not enough people bought one but when they offered the naturally aspired 2.5 in the CX7 the sales climbed.

A key advantage of Skyactiv G is the high compression ratio you can get by getting as much of the hot exhaust out of the cylinder with the big 4-2-1 header. This will not play well with a turbo. A turbo restricts flow out of the cylinder (the exhaust backpressure drives the turbo) causing knock, so you loose some of the high compression ratio advantage. Maybe they could put a blower(supercharger) on the G and drive it with an electric motor combined with the larger alternator/capacitor used for braking that Mazda has developed for electrical accessories. A good design would take the braking energy & use to compress air for the engine boost as most of the power demand (supercharger demand) would come when in stop and go where the braking energy is highest so high economy is possible. In an extended power demand like a hill climb the alternator + capacitor/battery would have to be big enough to drive the supercharger for an extended period or perhaps reduce boost until you brake again and rebuild the capacitor...

The turbo is not an issue on the diesel as it needs some hot exhaust left over to provide the compression ignition.

In my opinion the gas engine is pretty awesome with 6MT. I put my foot down and it revs to redline in first real quick, then a hard shift into second gets the tires chirping. The engine makes a kind of unusual but still interesting noise. It is entertaining. It feels good when I go down a country road and I'm spending all my time over 4K RPM. It is not fast but it feels fun, and that's what really counts, if you ask me.

Chances of a turbo performance CX-5 are very low and next-to-none in the U.S. Chance of a diesel here is not high and if it arrives it will be expensive and a high-trim model only. Remember, if the manual did not get a really nice highway MPG number, we probably would not have received a manual option here either. Mazda clearly put out a 6MT base model only because of the EPA numbers they can advertise.

^ Yes, 2.0L does develop peak power at higher revs than many engines and both MT and AT (especially in manual mode) can take advantage of that. My preference is to not have a 4 cylinder engine larger than 2.0L, that tends to be the largest in-line 4 banger size with desired smoothness. Balance shafts on larger 4 bangers do help but they tend to be compromised (some are good at smoothing mid-range revs, others at smoothing high revs, none good at both).

Now not only is the CX-5 MT showing by far the best EPA gas mileage numbers, but also CX-5 AT is showing best in class EPA numbers for both the fwd and awd versions. CX-5 gas mileage beats new 2013 Escape 1.6L turbo in all configs (official EPA numbers for the 1.6L turbo were only recently published). The 1.6L turbo Escape is the engine with best EPA gas mileage numbers and expected to sell in highest volume.

Last edited:
Back