2013 Mazda3 Steering rack leak

steve333

2013 Mazda 3 iSport Automatic SkyActive
I was told I have a steering rack leak and the only fix is to replace the rack.
How much should this cost and my steering doesn't feel any different, wouldn't it feel worse in some way?
They said between a 1 being the least issue and a 3 being the worst it's a 2
Should I just have them add steering fluid and wait? I was just told it will be $1600 to replace the rack and wheel alignment
I bring my car to them every 6 months even though I don't put many miles on the car. The guy understood my money issues and said they would check the fluid every time I bring it in (of course with an oil change)
I see no fluid at all on the ground and have been looking ever since they said 6 months ago that there is a leak and to get it diagnosed this time.
Thanks

Take it to a different shop and get a second opinion. Sounds like they're attempting to scare you into a $1600 bill.

Take it to a different shop and get a second opinion. Sounds like they're attempting to scare you into a $1600 bill.
They have always been very honest with me and have never pushed me into any repairs.
They also sent me two pics with my inspection report.
What do you think?

Attachments

• 53AD448C-A6B2-4995-B5D9-AB10BA37B4E1.png.jpeg
    53AD448C-A6B2-4995-B5D9-AB10BA37B4E1.png.jpeg
    45 KB · Views: 59
  • 0392A100-F2C5-4199-A655-D903E29A5FD2.png.jpeg
    0392A100-F2C5-4199-A655-D903E29A5FD2.png.jpeg
    45.4 KB · Views: 60
I'm not a mechanic. Those two pictures do indicate a leak, but again, I would get a second opinion, if only to get a quote. There is nothing wrong with expanding your options. If both of those shops can provide quotes with price breakdowns, it will help you to understand what the $1600 bill consists of. You can also inquire about bringing in your own parts if it will help save money, or you can talk to the shop to see if there are more inexpensive parts that can be used in order to bring the price down.

The leak should be dealt with though. Like engine oil, it can leak and you can still drive the car just fine, but when it leaks enough oil you'll notice that there is something wrong, and by then it might be too late.

I'm not a mechanic. Those two pictures do indicate a leak, but again, I would get a second opinion, if only to get a quote. There is nothing wrong with expanding your options. If both of those shops can provide quotes with price breakdowns, it will help you to understand what the $1600 bill consists of. You can also inquire about bringing in your own parts if it will help save money, or you can talk to the shop to see if there are more inexpensive parts that can be used in order to bring the price down.

The leak should be dealt with though. Like engine oil, it can leak and you can still drive the car just fine, but when it leaks enough oil you'll notice that there is something wrong, and by then it might be too late.
I sent the pics to another service place to see what they say, I'll bring it in if they want me to.
I am going to check the levels every few days and keep a bottle of steering fluid in my trunk

I bought steering fluid to keep in my trunk, hopefully it is the right one for my car. NAPA looked it up
Royal Purple Max EZ Power Steering Fluid

I decided to check the steering fluid level after I drove yesterday and it was higher than it was when I started driving.
Then I checked it today and it was a little lower than it was in the first place.
The steering also seems kind of loose like the steering wheel can keep turning even though the wheels are already going left or right.
The service place had said on my last oil change that there was also a leak in the power steering hose from the reservoir to the pump, could that be causing this issue and not the leak from the steering rack?
I was quoted $1600 for replacing the rack and a wheel alignment, not sure how much replacing the power steering hose would cost but I'm hoping it's this issue since I assume it would cost just a couple hundred dollars or so?
Any thoughts? I know I have to bring it in, just don't want to freak out until then, money is tight.

If I have to get the steering rack replaced I was wondering if I should get my front struts replaced at the same time, they are the originals. I'm thinking maybe they would charge less for labor since they have to drop the steering rack

Back