2010 Mazda3 Gas Mileage Roll Call...Please...

I'm generally between 350 and 400 miles per tank. Figure 100 miles per quarter tank. Note that this is the 2.5 cylinder, so I'd expect your 2.0 to get a little more than that.

2010.5 MZ3 s Sport 2.5l 6-MT:
I'm averaging about 29.5-30.5 MPG on tank fill-ups this winter (on winter tires) down maybe 1-2 MPG from summer driving on the OEM 17" tires. Most of my driving is between 5000-9000ft elevation (literally that range multiple times per tank) on 85-octane EF10 gasoline; I squirt the throttle now and again, but try to roll most of my miles in a way that wouldn't get a second look from a sheriff or highway patrol car... I probable do get a slight aerodynamic boost from the thin high elevation air (and derated NA engine). :)

Calling it 30 MPG, this is the least efficient vehicle I've owned in 17 years of driving, but has the most torque and horsepower and most fun handling, so I'm loving it. I don't want to see $5/gal gas, but if we do, I'll still be loving it. :p It was the right vehicle for mountain driving, though I've heard the 2.0l's are revvier and can change RPMs more nimbly, so I suppose what's best boils down to driving style and location...

I'm generally between 350 and 400 miles per tank. Figure 100 miles per quarter tank. Note that this is the 2.5 cylinder, so I'd expect your 2.0 to get a little more than that.

That's what I thought too but I think something is off with this. I'd be damned if I ever see 400 miles per tank, but I think the only way I'd see that is if the whole tank was on highway driving. Evens so... I should still see 350 at least before I get the low fuel warning light...

'10 MZ3 Sport 5-door, avg about 26 mpg on my first tank of gas. It consists of city and highway driving.

Well, i just did a loooong drive to North Carolina and back. And on the way back I filled up and the Trip read out was 554miles. So under the assumption of a 15 gallon tank you are looking at 36mpg. Which seems on par. I drove 350 miles straight and still had a quarter tank left afterwards. And that is with going up and down steep hills and a couple spirited sprints.

2010 Mazdaspeed 3----36mpg Highway

Having a smaller engine doesnt always mean better gas milage. The 2.5 is a little more stout with better HP & TQ. Both cars are about the same weight. So with the extra HP and TQ you will use less gas to pull the weight of the car and/or overcome aerodynamic deficiencies at highway speeds. Thats why most 6 cylinder trucks make worse highway milage than their V8 counter parts.

Just an update. Winter gas + really cold temps + remote start = bad mileage. I'm now at around 150 miles per half tank, maybe even worse.

If I missed this, I apologize! How many rpms are you turning with your 5-speed or 6-speed at 60 or 70mph?

Another update. Thanks to the mild weather and my commute consisting of mostly highways, I'm now averaging 29.7 mpg and 45 mph.

(I last reset it back in the beginning of March when I got my new tires, so this average is over the last 5,000 mi. or so.)

After reading this thread, I think a person may expect around 30 mpg with this car. The reports of mid-30s fuel economy are exceptional. We have had 4 Mazdas to date, none with impressive highway fuel economy. The next car will have a minimum of 35 mpg highway and hopefully over 40 mpg. I hope Mazda provides that car in the relatively near future (1 to 2 years from now).

After reading this thread, I think a person may expect around 30 mpg with this car. The reports of mid-30s fuel economy are exceptional. We have had 4 Mazdas to date, none with impressive highway fuel economy. The next car will have a minimum of 35 mpg highway and hopefully over 40 mpg. I hope Mazda provides that car in the relatively near future (1 to 2 years from now).

You won't have to wait too long for a 40mpg Hwy Mazda. The new 2012 Mazda 3 will have a SkyActiv Engine with 155hp and 40mpg!
http://www.caranddriver.com/news/ca...daspeed_3_official_photos_and_info-auto_shows

Thanks! First that I have seen that. I wondered what they were going to do with that engine. 12:1 begs for ethanol tho I have not noticed any of the new high compression engines boasting of E85 compatibility.

Last edited:
I am taking it to the mountains and then well see the low numbers. Then its time for a break. I believe I have enough miles on it for now.
The only downside was it made a ton of noise, so I added some foam around the seal and it seems to have made an improvement.

as of 20,936 miles, i've averaged 28.348 mpg. not bad considering many of those months are the midwest cold ass winters. i'm happy with my mpg. i recently hit 475 miles on my last tank. i think i could go well over 500 if i was driving a straight shot.

As a runner, I detest diesels! ;-)

I'm a runner as well, and while typical diesels are annoying, the new Golf/Jetta TDIs are so benign that I don't even notice them (from an air sampling perspective) when they drive by; I have every faith that the 2013 Mazda3 with the SkyActiv-D will perform at least as well. Said another way, "Bring it on!" :)

Back on topic: 35 mpg in my 2009 Mazda3 i Touring 5-Speed is easy, even at speeds into the 70s; taking it easier I've managed just a hair over 39 mpg. My mileage is more like 29-30 in mixed driving.

Last edited:
Best I've got so far is 35.6 Mpg @ 44 Mph Avg. I think that is pretty good. But that is the 2.0l Manual sedan.

Back