2003 P5: ABS and BRAKE lights on together while driving. Also a couple more questions

5spdP5

:
2003 P5 5 spd
So I got my P5 about a year ago and a couple months ago I started to get the BRAKE light and ABS light simultaneously. Also, sometimes while driving slow through a parking lot, I will try to stop and the brakes will grind like the ABS is activated but I am going very slow and barely applying the brakes on dry pavement. Has anyone else experienced this? I hope it wont cost too much to fix.

Also, I just passed 65k miles. Would you do a timing belt now, and how much should this cost, or should I just do it myself?

And I just got new tires yesterday and found out one of my wheels is bent. Where is a good place to pick up a new one in south central PA/northern if craigslist fails?

Thanks a lot everyone, I look forward to getting help from you guys, and hope you dont convince me to buy a bunch a stuff I didnt even know I "needed" (lol2)

I just had mine (timing belt) done for right at 500 bucks. You can get a kit of all of the parts for the full service (belts, gaskets, water pump, etc) for about $270 on amazon if you wanna do it yourself. I've had that brake and abs business since I've owned the car, but it just means that the abs doesn't work, which is a win in my book. I'm assuming it's either a bad control module or wheel sensor on the front brake. Hopefully someone else will have a better answer for you on that part.

No need to do the timing belt right now.

Take the car to a shop that can read the abs codes. That will tell you if it is a sensor or some other problem.

i borrowed a code checker from my friend but nothing came up. the lights dont come on every time i drive the car, just some times. and im pretty confident that the abs works since it kicks in... even when it isnt supposed to(while the lights are on). this leads me to believe it is something besides the main unit. would a speed sensor be the only possibility?

An ABS fault won't be recorded as an OBD code. So code reader won't tell you anything. The ABS code is stored in the ABS module. The process to check ABS codes is something like: connect a couple jumpers on the ABS module, then count the number of flashes of the ABS light on the dash. Or something silly like that. The procedure is in the Protege workshop manual. Or just take it to a shop.

thanks for the tip yangsui. i figured all of this out the hard way yesterday and wish i would have just seen this post first. im gonna see if they can check it for me for free today, and if not ill check it myself tomorrow morning. thanks.

Back