2003.5 Mazdaspeed Protege Upgrades!

What is everyone's opinion on getting the ECU TSB flash? Im not even sure if i have it or not, but should i get it done if i plan to keep everything stock?
Save the $100 for an AFC instead of the reflash, reflash won't help anything my car was flashed and had the worst hesitation.

walboro high pressure fuel pump 90$ at protege garage, i just don't see a downside to it

Stock pumps work fine until well over 250whp, no need to upgrade to a louder pump.

afc ss v2 or if u planning on forge internal go with a stand alone ( you can set the timing, lauch control etc with it)
otherwise the afc v2 would be the best option , for having no more hesitation and a way better power line.

Agreed, the Split Second AFC is the popular choice if you don't plan to build the motor and run a standalone EMS. I have one and they are relatively easy to install and setup and mine has been very reliable.

Agreed, the Split Second AFC is the popular choice if you don't plan to build the motor and run a standalone EMS. I have one and they are relatively easy to install and setup and mine has been very reliable.

Where would you recommend to purchase from?

UPDATE: NVM Saw another thread you replied to a got my answer! Now its all about installing this bad boy.

Last edited:
The directions have been reposted in that thread or one one of the last pages of the map thread.

The next job im doing will be to replace the front sway bar bushings. I had recently did the rear and all clunking/squeaking has been completely eliminated. The front ones seem a little harder to get to but will update when completed. A few questions i did have were:

1. What point should I jack the car up from?
2. Where is the correct area where jack stands should be placed?

*Future upgrades coming soon*
- Projector lights
- HID Bulbs
- Spark Plugs

there are jacking points that have reinforced welds on the chassis. that line up with the door jam pretty much on the underside of the car. pretty hard to miss. u can jack and put the jack stands there.

there are jacking points that have reinforced welds on the chassis. that line up with the door jam pretty much on the underside of the car. pretty hard to miss. u can jack and put the jack stands there.

Thanks for that tip. Will check it once I get home later on.

The next job im doing will be to replace the front sway bar bushings. I had recently did the rear and all clunking/squeaking has been completely eliminated. The front ones seem a little harder to get to but will update when completed. A few questions i did have were:

1. What point should I jack the car up from?
2. Where is the correct area where jack stands should be placed?

*Future upgrades coming soon*
- Projector lights
- HID Bulbs
- Spark Plugs

The front ones don't suffer from the same wear problems as the rear. I would check to see if they need to be replaced before purchasing them and going through the effort. I'm at 112k miles and my front sway bar bushings are still in pretty good shape.

The front bushings wear just like the rears, I highly doubt your bushings are in good shape. You just assume they are because they aren't making noise.

The front bushings wear just like the rears, I highly doubt your bushings are in good shape. You just assume they are because they aren't making noise.

Even when just going over a speed bump I used to get a lot of squeaking from both the rear and front. Ever since I've upgrade the rears and used energy suspension grease no squeaking at all when I go over those damn speed bumps, you only hear it from the front. With the winter approaching the east coast, I want to get these replaced asap, I have the replacement bushings just haven't found the time lately.

Exhaust, intercooler, intake pipes running to and from turbo, BOV :) then TUNE ITTTTTT. oh and slam it obviously.

slam it obviously.

(headshake NO-GO to that mod. A modest drop using the Eibach Pro kit would suffice without him having to change/upgrade his shocks. Remember that he's got limited funds and wants to maintain as close to OEM.

You can run any spring on these Tokico's, no need to change struts. Coilovers certainly are worth the money considering most MSPs need new struts and strut mounts anyway.

Back