2003.5 exaust cracks????

Yea I know a dude who is hooking me up big time. Down pipe, high flow cat that I will buy, all the way to the stock muffler, 3 inch, mandrel bent, INSTALLED 300 bucks. (naughty)

wow lots happened here,

Ya I clicked a link I saw futher down...posted by TheJohnny...thats the one. Round tip small ressinator(sp??) and pretty loud. I like what someone posted "the sound is not rice at all". I spoke to the service dude at mazda he told me it might take a week or two before it comes in. I'll wait, for a free better sounding (hopefully more performant) exaust.

BTW:II-Savy, You are an SOB if your getting all that you said for 300$ ;)

would anyone happen to know if i could still get my 'muffler' fixed if...

i did a custom catback exhaust and i just cut off the 03.5 tip and had it welded on to keep the stock look. i read this thread, got kinda interested, and went out to check. sure 'nuff, there are cracks around the edge. i stopped by the dealer today to just show them, but i didn't mention that i don't have a muffler (i went straight pipe from the cats).

think they will b**** that my catback did the cracking? i guess i can only hope...

drew.

Now that I've had the muffler for some time, I just started to notice a resonation at higher speed on the freeway, it's not bad, but it's there. Just to inform you.

Up-date...

So I went to mazda, the service guy looked at the cracks. Said it was a common problem with the oval shaped exaust, the metal that over laps to form the 'lip' isn't thick enough. So he ordered me a new one. 10 to 14 working days, bah, I could wait. Plus its FREE. So any of you guys that notice small cracks on the muffler tip, go to mazda, they will replace it with a better sounding one for free!!!

New Muffler

Got it this morning. This muffler makes a slightly louder and lower growl than the racing beat muffler. My fiance doesn't like it, but I do.

Attachments

• MSP muffler.JPG
    MSP muffler.JPG
    314.3 KB · Views: 113
Hmmm...I'm thinking it might be a good idea if I throw the stock one back on and drive it until I see some cracks, get it replaced, and then sell the replacement to a regular protege owner, or sell it on ebay or something. BTW, that new exhaust looks sick.

i kinda like the oval style...kinda euro style....is this replacement part a real mazdaspeed..do you guys know who made it..or is it still racing beat...if its original mazdaspeed then im in line to get one..mines crack bad...

as far as I know, it is the Mazdaspeed one. this is not the same one that is on the 2003 Model Speeds. It's the aftermarket one that anyone can buy.

It is the Mazdaspped one for sedans, not the Racing Beat made 2003 MSP muffler.
The replacement one has a smaller canister muffler, hence the louder sound and growl.
A guy in the TOP club has one.

Ok all is done, got the new exaust this morning and have driving around all day. I need someone (friends are working) to take thw car for a spin so i could hear the sound from outside the cockpit. Sounds killer inside the car...nice low grumble sounds pretty sweet when shifting gears too!
All-in-all i'm a happy camper, FREE nice sounding exausts are my idea of happiness. Thanks to all who replied and to anyone who hasn't gone to change it yet, WTF are you waiting for. It's free!

How is the drone at highway speeds TheJohnny was talking about? I'm still thinking about this and if it doesn't sound bad at highway speeds that will seal the deal and I'll go get it.

Hmmm im trying my luck on the cracked exhaust. Mines pretty bad. So im calling the dealer and bringing it in tomorrow morning for that if possible. Also have to get my wing brake light cover replaced, its cracked :(

goku4658: I would not be the one to say!!!! When I had my Impreza, it was outfited with a Tanbee full cat back. So i'm kinda used to the 'drone', acually its almost pleasent when you put it 5th. Stays low not that loud.

Ljspeed: dude don't worry man if its cracked they will replace it. Its like a re-call that they didn't re-call. Thats what the service d00d at mazda said to me.

Back