2003.5 exaust cracks????

Msp_guy

:
blazin yellow 2003.5 MSP
Morning boy and girls,

I met another MSP (2003.5) owner last nite and he asked me if I had any cracks on the tip of the muffler. I had previoulsy noticed small hair line cracks starting to form so I said "yes". He then told me to go to my dealership and make a complaint, and that they would order me a new (old 2003) axel back. He then proceeded to show me his. The look is a little different, instead of the nice oval outlet its a round 3' tip with the MAZDASPEED logo on the side. The sound is what i'm tripping over... nice low grumble with a nice pitch higher up. I was just wondering if a) this has happened to anyone else and b) if the new (old) exaust is more performant than the stock. The resinator(sp??) is much smaller on the replacement and like I said louder. This is direct replacment on warrenty so it come as a freebie. (2thumbs)

ok......this has happened to a number of other MSP owners....this is a free replacement, im not sure about the axleback part......i was just under the impression that it was the muffler only that was/is being replaced. performance wise, i dont think there is one but, hell i could be wrong. just my .02 worth.

the cracks are normal i guess (ive heard a LOT about it)

goto dealer and get it warranteed.

Last edited:
well I made an apointment at mazda, the guy I spoke to (service dept.) said its not the first they would have to change. He was also preety cool about it and said "oh ya the new one sounds so much better than stock". I'm under the impression they will change it no questions asked.

BTW pdhaudio83, what do you mean the mazdaspeed muffler will not fit a MSP???I'm pretty sure its the same car were talking about!

sorry, edited post. i remember they have the mazdaspeed aftermarket muffler for sedans too.

mazdaspeed protege has a racing beat exhaust.

Yes all true. I have an appointment for this Saturday morning to get the new muffler. I called and they said it is round. There is a thread here somewhere with pics and everything.

OK, I started a thread on this but to lazy to post link...

Yes, make an appointment, hopefully your dealer has one in stock because mine did, otherwise from what rumor control is saying, there on national back order. Everyone, and I mean everyone is getting this done. I had mine done for about two weeks now and I just love the sounds. Deep sound with no rice. You'll love the sound and I personally love the looks.

I posted on that thread, no where does it say the NEW ROUND one crack. The pic you posted is a pic of the new one, NOT a pic of a cracked one.

The replacement is round, a lot more solid and sounds really good. Took my dealership a week or so to receive it. Well worth the effort...

Has anyone that got it replaced notice any performance gain? Is it a free'er flowing muffler maybe?

I have the butt dyno saying that I've got a 2.3 whp increase. II-Savy, I was messing with you, but look at the pic, I swear it looks cracked to me. Not just a reflection but a crack on the bottom and top left. If my beer goggles are working I'm right.

TheJohnny said:
look at the muffler it's cracked around the tip.... damn, call me a liar why don't you.
I didn't call you a liar. That pic is one someone posted to show what the new one looks like. Not that it cracked. The oval 3.5 mufflers crack.

II-Savy said:
I didn't call you a liar. That pic is one someone posted to show what the new one looks like. Not that it cracked. The oval 3.5 mufflers crack.
OK OK OK..... I'm not going to keep this going... I believe that your right, I hope so because I don't want to go through this again with the muffler. Especially when I just got my Sub-woofer and Stereo replaced, don't want to go back again.

TheJohnny said:
OK OK OK..... I'm not going to keep this going... I believe that your right, I hope so because I don't want to go through this again with the muffler. Especially when I just got my Sub-woofer and Stereo replaced, don't want to go back again.
Well exactly, cause I'm like what the ****. I'm getting a new one and IT'S gunna crack to?!? (dark)

I hate the dealer, I mean I have an awesome service writer, VERNON, but it's not him that messes things up. They left something in the sub enclosure and it keep rattling. anyway, the muffler is tits, I love it. Heard it for the first time yesterday when my Fiance drove it away...... ahhhhh so nice. Can't wait to get DP with Highflo Cat on the car...

Back