2001 Protege 2.0 random misfire - symptoms

I just bought one (didnt do me any good btw) from autozone and it was $40.

dont know where you get your information. autozone website says $40 as well

They raised their prices. I bought one 6 months back in Cedar Rapids, IA and it was $18 before tax. Sorry for the misinformation.

not sure if this was fixed,but i had the exact same issue a couple of days ago. Magstar wires are s*** and fell apart in my cylinders. Check your wires. Coil packs could be the issue, but then again remember with our distributerless systems 1 and 4 fire together and 2 and 3 fire together, at least i think those are the correct numbers.

magstar? are those those cheap colored ones for like $15? Please tell me you didnt buy those.

i gave up on mine, im just going to drive it like is until i get MIL or it starts to run bad.

Im getting the same code today P0300, Bought 2 new coil packs 39.00 each and a wire set also 39.00 and 4 new plugs all at auto zone. Also I am going to put in some injector cleaner in the gas tank. Total was about 140 bucks.

I had the same problem this morning, rough idle and funny smell, (but I have no Cats on the car). Car runs fine. Its just when I sit a light or idle in park it will do this. After market bosal exhaust and obx headers ( I have had these on the car for 6yrs now), I have 43,000 miles on my 2002 protege 5 its an auto. I also had my EGR valve replaced at the dealer about 2 years ago, cost 400 bucks. (come to find out I could have just cleaned it)

Well I will keep you updated later today. After I reset the lights.

Im getting the same code today P0300, Bought 2 new coil packs 39.00 each and a wire set also 39.00 and 4 new plugs all at auto zone. Also I am going to put in some injector cleaner in the gas tank. Total was about 140 bucks.

I had the same problem this morning, rough idle and funny smell, (but I have no Cats on the car). Car runs fine. Its just when I sit a light or idle in park it will do this. After market bosal exhaust and obx headers ( I have had these on the car for 6yrs now), I have 43,000 miles on my 2002 protege 5 its an auto. I also had my EGR valve replaced at the dealer about 2 years ago, cost 400 bucks. (come to find out I could have just cleaned it)

Well I will keep you updated later today. After I reset the lights.

Just finished- everything is running smooth (flash)

I came to this thread for info and found that I have posted a bunch of times. Now it is your turn, help me.

Check out this mess:
  • Ignition coil replaced (second 1.8 coil after replacing those crappy 2.0 coils three times)
  • Spark plugs cleaned and then replaced with long reach plugs
  • Seafoamed the tank and intake system
  • New air filter
  • Cleaned EGR valve
  • Replaced the fuel pump and filter(screen)
  • Wires are about a year old.
No hesitation until I hit half a tank and then Misfire Cylinder One. Plus it hesitates on hills and curves. If I fill up the tank the problem goes away.

A friend owns a shop and stated that the injector doesn't know how much fuel I have so if it was bad I would have issues from get go. I say this because I thought about swapping the injector from cyl one to two.

It has over 180K miles so I always smell a hint of oil when I park. When I have had the hesitation is smells a lot stronger, to the point that you want to pop the hood and expect a mess everywhere. No leaks other than my oil pressure sending unit that leaks a little but that can't be the issue as I am holding solid pressure.

Any suggestions?

I am also having a recurring P0300.
I have head work, twiggy cams, and 1.8 coils.

We have checked plugs and wires.
Next we're going to see if the cylinder code changes if we move around the coil packs.
My mechanic sez its not the injectors, that the cylinder doesn't know if its got fuel. The code should be specific to the ignition system.
We're also re-checking the 1.8 coils connections.

I came to this thread for info and found that I have posted a bunch of times. Now it is your turn, help me.

Check out this mess:
  • Ignition coil replaced (second 1.8 coil after replacing those crappy 2.0 coils three times)
  • Spark plugs cleaned and then replaced with long reach plugs
  • Seafoamed the tank and intake system
  • New air filter
  • Cleaned EGR valve
  • Replaced the fuel pump and filter(screen)
  • Wires are about a year old.
No hesitation until I hit half a tank and then Misfire Cylinder One. Plus it hesitates on hills and curves. If I fill up the tank the problem goes away.

A friend owns a shop and stated that the injector doesn't know how much fuel I have so if it was bad I would have issues from get go. I say this because I thought about swapping the injector from cyl one to two.

I'm finally about to replace #3 injector this weekend. We'll see if that clears up my misfire problem. I hope so! I actually got a set of 4 used from a member here for cheap. Awesome deal. :D

man, this is crazy. Why do i not get a code at all, but accordign to my timing light, have many and prolonged misfires, yet the car seems to run fine?

I'm finally about to replace #3 injector this weekend. We'll see if that clears up my misfire problem. I hope so! I actually got a set of 4 used from a member here for cheap. Awesome deal. :D

Replace #3 and tell me if that fixes it. If so sell me a green one for cylinder 1.(naughty)

Maybe your fuel pump is going bad. 180k seems like a reasonable life for one of these.

Pump and filter are new, maybe 400 miles on them.

I am thinking either:
  • #1 injector
  • fuel gauge sending unit(the stopper on the fuel pump) because it shows few issues until it gets at or below half a tank
  • fuel pressure regulator because the acceleration isn't up to par throughout the power band
  • Or drive it off of a cliff

i should clarify, P0300 is a RANDOM misfire event and I am specifically getting a P0303 indicating cylinder #3.

Code did not change when we switched coil packs around.

i should clarify, P0300 is a RANDOM misfire event and I am specifically getting a P0303 indicating cylinder #3.

Code did not change when we switched coil packs around.

Swap injectors and see if it changes. That is where I am at with this issue. I have P0301. Argh!!

Crazee D, same here man. 303 code all the time. Though today nothing so far. yay! Getting #3 changed tomorrow!

I dont geven get a mIL on mine, but i know its misfiring. has anyone else paced the inductive pickup lead of a timing light on their plug wires to check for a misfire that way? granted, it only works on cyl 1 and 3, but i cant get mine to fire normally (cyl 3). I think it must be a fault in the ECM

Back