2000 front wheel bearing

jeff4880

:
08.5 speed 3
I just aquired a 2000 Protege and it has a wicked rumble in the front left wheel. I'm thinking it's a wheel bearing. Anybody know whats involved in replacing the bearing?

there's an easy way to check for wheel bearing. jack up just that wheel then support with a jackstand. pull the parking brake and start the car with you foot on the brake. then shift to drive and SLOWLY lift off the brake and let the wheel spin. then SLOWLY press the brake, shift to p, and turn off the car. it's good to check cause my passenger side front wheel bearing went and i would have bet money it was the drivers side before i checked. unfortunately the protege has press in bearings. so if you don't have a press you have two options. either buy the bearing and take the whole spindle to a shop and have them press the bearing in for you or just take it in to have it changed. mine was $80 to replace with part and labor. it took about an hour.

Thats a good idea I will try that. $80 is a really good price. The best price I got was $180. I have a press anyway (I have a entire machine shop for that matter) so I'm going to do the job myself.

Back