2 questions: oil cooler and oil pan

neox.286

:
2003 Spicy Orange MSP
ok first question:

how do you get the nut off for the oil cooler? (the 'sandwhiche plate' between the crank case and the oil filter with coolant running through it)

the bolt that the oil filter screws on is too long to get even a deep socket around the nut, and its not a big enough opening for pliers =(

second question:

what material is the oil pan made out of?
and what material is the windage tray made out of?

I think the windage tray is alluminum, and the oil pan is steel....correct?

.....its a nut not a stud

but if your asking about the head studs yes they are bolts with very large allen wrench fittings inside

If you were cool like me..you would have "Studs" with allen Fittings inside of them.....(evil)

This part is Correct.

As far as the Nut...Can you not get an Open end Box wrench on it?

thanks for the verification (thumb)

as for the nut, no you cant...because the nut is inset inside of the oil cooler entirely....

quick drawing attached

the nut is also too large for any open end box wrenches I have, but even if I had a big enough one the 'forks' on the open end side would be too thick to fit between the nut and the outside of the cooler assembly

Attachments

• oil cooler.jpg
    oil cooler.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 129
I bet the whole assembly spins off like a filter.
You likely dont even need to emove the nut to do it.
What are you up to anyway?

I tried that, but there is no real way to grip it without bending/snapping the inlet-outlet nipples (they are like vacuum line connections)

Im rebuilding my forged motor (remember the ****** up piston? lol), but the new crankcase I got was from a p5 motor so it is lacking the oil cooler assembly, so I gotta switch it over from my old motor

is it even a neccessary part? Ive heard it is from some and that it isn't from others

u can buy from the dealer two of theose same nuts to jam together near the tip of the nipple(the oil filter stud) and use that to get it off. i actually have a set iwas going to use to get mine off to cut it down for my sandwhich plate..i can try to get the part numbers for u later..for the nuts...

wait....you mean you jam a nut inbetween the nut and the oil cooler and is that to twist it off?

or if you are not reusing the threaded piece just grab it with vice grips and rotate if the earlier method doesnt work out.

thats what I'm trying to avoid, I'm kinda hoping to reuse the threaded piece

I'll give that method a shot though

Back