Poll 2.5T Coolant Leak/Engine Replacement

Who is having coolant leak issues and have had their engines replaced?

• Yes

Votes: 48 40.3%
  • No

Votes: 71 59.7%

• Total voters
Took my 2018 Signature CX-9 with 82,300 miles to the dealership today to get it checked out for the coolant leak. I could not find the source of the leak. Attaching a picture that shows a drop of coolant on the highest pipe I could see.

20240206_154809_resized.jpg

Did not get a warm fuzzy from the service advisor. Doesn't seem like the type to go to bat for the customer. He also acted like they had only seen a few cases of the cracked head. Pretty sure I'll have to call corporate to see what they can do for me, if anything. This was my 6th Mazda, and depending on how they handle this, it could be my last. If they hadn't modified the cylinder head and gasket, I might feel differently, but since they know it was a design flaw...

Update: The service advisor said it would be a couple of days before they could look at my car, but about 3 hours after I dropped it off, it had already been diagnosed as a cracked cylinder head. I think they saw big money headed their way and moved me up in the queue.

Last edited:
Good luck with Mazda’s “Customer Service “….
My 2016 is still in the shop. Going on 3 months. Mechanic says he’ll never work on another one. Once I get it back, it’ll be sold. Never again Mazda!

I disagree. Was the testing extensive enough? Did Mazda run round-the-clock driving on a simulated street track with pro drivers for a few hundred thousand miles? This probably would have shown up. Or were the heads cast under-spec? And was adequate quality control testing done? As well as the defectively designed rear brake calipers on the 2016 (see the TSB). And the clogged heater cores we're hearing about due to excessively long recommended coolant drain intervals. Ditto for their choices in the gen 1 cars, the transfer cases that turned into briquets and the choice of buying that Ford engine with the disastrous water pump. No cars are perfect, never have been, never will be. But some things that should have been found were not, and Mazda should cover their negligence.

If I do everything listed in the owner's manual (except using the dealership for maintenance*), then I expect the car to last a few hundred thousand miles these days. In what way am I wrong? (*My nearest dealer is 1-1/2 hours away, an oil change takes a half day with driving time, and the all-stars there lied and failed to change the oil & filter on the car's first time, so I haven't been back.)
I think the problem with testing is that it was probably done on a dynamometer or a smooth test track, not potholed American roads. Therefore, the repetitive bouncing and vibration was not placed on the turbocharger to head flange. The loads of a turbo bouncing up and down are different than on a dyno. Also, unless all of your driving is on the freeway, you aren't replicating test track procedures. Most people run far more heating and cooling cycles than is done on a test track, where they are trying to accumulate mileage quickly. (It would not be unreasonable for synthetic oil to run 25,000 miles between changes on a test track, where the engine might not be shut down more than a few times during that period.)

I wish that I had been taking my CX-5 to the dealer through the 60K oil change (I just assumed the whole warranty ended at 36k, but it had been 12 years since my last new car purchase). I stopped after that 36k because the dealer did damage to the car that they claimed was my fault (cracked cowl piece, and misplaced undertray looking for noise).

And my previous 2 Mazdas had been pretty bullet-proof. My '90 Protege LX had a crank-snout keyway failure at around 180k miles, and went through half-shafts, but when we pulled the original clutch (to replace the throwout bearing) at 238k, there was still about 50% left. And that car had been an autocrosser for 15 years at that point. It's replacement, an '07 Mazda 3 hatch is awaiting a new manual transmission at 198k miles, but other than that and front brakes at 155k has been just oil changes and belts. I fully expected to keep this CX-5 for 12-15 years and 200k miles. But not anymore, which is a shame, because I really like it otherwise (although it's been sitting since July as I can't afford both payments and repair).

(although it's been sitting since July as I can't afford both payments and repair).
Am I missing something? Why are you still making car payments on an 8 year old car? That seems wrong to me. It should have been paid off years and years ago.

Just got my car back with the cylinder head replaced. I spent a couple of weeks going back and forth with corporate via phone and email, and they called to say their final offer was to pay $3,500 toward the $7K+ cost. I wrote one additional email back expressing my disappointment, and then authorized the work. I had the cylinder head replaced and tranny, diff, and transfer case fluid changes done as well. It took a little over a week. In that time, I did not hear back from corporate. I was expecting to be invoiced for over $3,500 just for the head, but they had done a good will replacement, and only charged some kind of 'deductible' of $650 for the replacement. It was a total surprise, and a very nice one, that they had taken care of this long-term customer. My love for Mazda has faded a bit due to this experience and knowing that they are probably not telling prospective buyers of the CPO vehicles affected by this design flaw that it exists, but I will remain a customer.

Note that I went directly to corporate, because the service manager made no offer to go to bat for me. even though I was very displeased by the repair cost. I also felt more confident making the plea directly, because my own words would reach corporate rather than what someone else would say on my behalf.

I suggest anyone trying to get financial help on this go directly to corporate, and make your case politely and with respect. Writing an anger-filled email will probably get you nowhere (FYI, I called the customer experience number first, and once a case was assigned, communications was via phone and email).

Just got my car back with the cylinder head replaced. I spent a couple of weeks going back and forth with corporate via phone and email, and they called to say their final offer was to pay $3,500 toward the $7K+ cost. I wrote one additional email back expressing my disappointment, and then authorized the work. I had the cylinder head replaced and tranny, diff, and transfer case fluid changes done as well. It took a little over a week. In that time, I did not hear back from corporate. I was expecting to be invoiced for over $3,500 just for the head, but they had done a good will replacement, and only charged some kind of 'deductible' of $650 for the replacement. It was a total surprise, and a very nice one, that they had taken care of this long-term customer. My love for Mazda has faded a bit due to this experience and knowing that they are probably not telling prospective buyers of the CPO vehicles affected by this design flaw that it exists, but I will remain a customer.

Note that I went directly to corporate, because the service manager made no offer to go to bat for me. even though I was very displeased by the repair cost. I also felt more confident making the plea directly, because my own words would reach corporate rather than what someone else would say on my behalf.

I suggest anyone trying to get financial help on this go directly to corporate, and make your case politely and with respect. Writing an anger-filled email will probably get you nowhere (FYI, I called the customer experience number first, and once a case was assigned, communications was via phone and email).
Your head replacement should have been done gratis no matter which way you slice it. It is a factory defect that they need to be accountable for. In no way should you have to beg or barter to get what you should be entitled to from a defect that Mazda is responsible for. It's piss poor materials and workmanship of any manufacturer or vehicle that needs major engine work before 100,000 miles

Your head replacement should have been done gratis no matter which way you slice it. It is a factory defect that they need to be accountable for. In no way should you have to beg or barter to get what you should be entitled to from a defect that Mazda is responsible for. It's piss poor materials and workmanship of any manufacturer or vehicle that needs major engine work before 100,000 miles
Absolutely, except these days there should be no major engine work for 250,000+ miles.

MAZDA, STAND BEHIND YOUR MISTAKES...CRACKED HEADS, DEFECTIVE REAR BRAKE CALIPERS, ALL OF THEM.

It would not be unreasonable for synthetic oil to run 25,000 miles between changes on a test track, where the engine might not be shut down more than a few times during that period.
I have not seen any examples of this. Oil loses viscosity due to fuel dilution and heat, both of which will be acting on the oil the entire time of the test.

If you can point me to an example that backs up what you're saying, that would be great.

I have not seen any examples of this. Oil loses viscosity due to fuel dilution and heat, both of which will be acting on the oil the entire time of the test.

If you can point me to an example that backs up what you're saying, that would be great.
I promise you, they change oil WAY before 25,000 miles. Way, way, WAY before.

Who the hell would be insane enough to risk damaging a $100,000+ motor over $25 worth of oil?

Hell, they even tear the motors down to check them between races! Races are generally either 1/4 mile for drag, 500 for closed circuit, or 3500 for endurance. I assure you, they aren't reusing old oil.

Wow. You had a much better outcome than we did with our 2016 CX-9 that had 78K miles when it went into the shop with the head coolant leak problem. I'll spare you the details. Mazda comped us about $3K for the repair.

This poll should have had three options, because I'd have to answer No.
No
Yes (engine)
Yes (cylinder head only)

Our dealership included an unlimited powertrain warranty for as long as we own the car. If I do the oil changes, I have to show a log and receipts for the oil/filters, or from a shop or dealership.

Have others gotten a similar warranty from a dealer?

They claimed that this warranty would be honored by other dealers as well.

I'll pull it out and read it. We are still on our honeymoon phase with our 24 CX-5 T.

Our dealership included an unlimited powertrain warranty for as long as we own the car. If I do the oil changes, I have to show a log and receipts for the oil/filters, or from a shop or dealership.

Have others gotten a similar warranty from a dealer?

They claimed that this warranty would be honored by other dealers as well.

I'll pull it out and read it. We are still on our honeymoon phase with our 24 CX-5 T.
Unlimited for how long?

Until I die or no long have possession of the car.

It's non transferable.

Medical Center Mazda

Nice. Canadians get unlimited mileage only. Still 3 year basic, 5 year powertrain, 7 year anti-perf. A truly unlimited warranty is really nice, provided the requirements for maintaining the warranty are reasonable.

Back