#1289 - A story of rebirth

Well I got some good news and a little bad news.. mostly good.

My gauge rings from Hydra got screwed. Nothing that can be done. Beau called me and is sending me a Lightweight harmonic balancer instead (he was offering the cam gears, but I am too nice) So at the end of the day, I still came out pretty damn good on that deal. On top of that, Hydra is producing like a 100 of the gauge rings (to be ready in a few months) and there will be a price drop on them. Keep your eyes out..

The black tape can only be removed on 2003.5 models FYI. On earlier ones it was painted on. There was a gal on here that removed the tape on her titanium, and it looked stupid. Might want to find her thread and see if it's worth it.

A local has a black 03 MSP with the vinyl removed, and I have seen an 01 in the junkyard the same way, are you certain about that? I have it done to my car I think it looks a lot better than sun faded vinyl. (shrug)

Also, the factory paint isn't "oil based." It's solvent based acrylic enamel.

Well all I know is the shop told me they used oil-based paint and it matches perfectly and the shop that said they used 'environmentally friendly water-based paint' did a horrible job and it doesn't match at all.

Everyone that has the Pope downpipe can speak for it it is amazing
Save up and get the manifold and downpipe together I believe you get a discount

The DP is ok, it definitely runs better but it overboosts on my friend's MSP and even with an AFC, no boost controller and stock wastegate it always hits fuel cut at full throttle. But you don't have any other options.

And don't waste your time with the 626 intake manifold, you lose low end and don't gain any top end. Just delete the VTCS flaps or look for an FSZE or 505zoom intake mani. 1.8 coils look better under the hood but do not offer any performance benefit on 99% of Proteges on the road (maybe the 1% running really high boost notice a slight difference in the minutely shorter dwell time) but considering how expensive they are to replace when they fail and their location directly above the 700* turbo and manifold I find it cheaper and easier to stick with the stock coilpack setup.

It's 'normal' for the boost to taper off slightly, if the WG was bad you would know it. You can add a boost controller to help keep the boost from dropping. And the wheel locks can be easily removed, take an old 12pt 19mm socket, hammer it on the lock until it grips it well, then just take a socket wrench or breaker bar and turn the lock loose. Once you remove the socket take a 1/4" extension and tap it with a hammer to pop the lock out of the socket and repeat for the next wheels. Did this on my friend's MS3 not long ago, works like a charm and no damage to anything.

Last edited:
I had the same issue when I increased the air flow of the engine so dramatically with a CIA and my Pope DP and 3in exhaust. It came down to two issues causing it to hit fuel cut. The vacuum source for the waste gate was inefficient source is two far away plus you really don't want your waste gate actuator swing boost and vac. After that I didn't Spike boost and didn't hit fuel cut. Next issue was I didn't even have to go wot for the car to accelerate like it was bogged down. I also discovered that I was was running lean. Upgraded my fuel pump and the car is awesome now.

I have all the butterflies deleted from my stock intake basically makes it the same as a 626 no issues. And the coils are 20.00 each. That's cheep.

I have all the butterflies deleted from my stock intake basically makes it the same as a 626 no issues. And the coils are 20.00 each. That's cheep.

Interior volume of the 626 manifold is much smaller. Therefore less volume for the turbo to pressurize, quicker spool up, better flow, more power.

The DP is ok, it definitely runs better but it overboosts on my friend's MSP and even with an AFC, no boost controller and stock wastegate it always hits fuel cut at full throttle.

Those are symptoms of the downpipe doing exactly what its supposed to do -> flow A LOT more air. Reroute the vacuum lines to eliminate the overboosting and avoid fuel cut.

Got it all washed and put the cover back on the engine. I think its pretty damn clean

Then today I finally got to painting the other 3 calipers and cleaning up my shocks/struts. I like it a lot. I think it gives it a little kiss of color (that it needs)

Now I just need to get tinted...

Just now seeing this - it looks AWESOME. You've done a great job with it! You should be very proud, especially looking at how the car started out, and how much you've learned.

Thanks man.. Since my last post, I've done a 3" DP, and tapped the turbo for the wastegate signal..

I have DaveB rings, rear end links, lower control arms, and an Exedy clutch that still needs to be installed. Then I need to work on fabricating the rest of my exhaust..

But its coming along.

So whatever happened with this car? Anything new. Liked how you brought it back from almost dead.

Back