1/0 awg and firewall

Euphorism

:
2007 MS3
who has successfully taken a run of 1/0 awg through the firewall? where did you go through? how? if you have pics that would be awesome. this is the 1st car ive worked on where i couldnt find a location after a few minutes of looking. need help people. thanks.

We ran 4awg through my buddies MP3 firewall. Im pretty sure I could have gotten an ot cable through there. Ill have a look at it and see if I can get you a guiding point to go by. I know its to the right of the power steering pump assembly on the driver side.

well for the ms3 best place is to go the same route as a regluar 3. open hood looking straight into the engine bay on the left side there is a rubber grommet where the main harness goes in. you gotta get the exhaust shield out of the way tho. i used to work at a audio shop b4 so i have access to all the audio tools i need when i do my stuff. easiest way for me was a power wire grommet tool. its basically a huge needle with a handle. it pokes through the grommet and you can feed what ever wire size you need through and the wire comes out right b4 the glove compartment. also you need to pull the carpet and drop down the fuse panel. if i can find my dig camera i'll snap some pix.

Oh, Im sorry. I misread that. MS3, In my head I thought MSP...

Yeah, totally different from Protege to 3. I apologize.

i ran 0awg but i had to drill a hole next the spot behind the glove box... it was the only spot i was confident in not hurting anything and still having easy access

Here is a pic of running a 8g wire through the firewall right behind the glove box. I don't know what 1/0 awg looks like but you can use this to compare.

firewall.jpg

You can use a coat hanger and run it through the inside of the car and tape the wire on to the end to pull it through. Remove the heat shield for easier access and make sure you let the IC cool off before you do (laugh)

Last edited:
Kosh said:
Here is a pic of running a 8g wire through the firewall right behind the glove box. I don't know what 1/0 awg looks like but you can use this to compare.

firewall.jpg

You can use a coat hanger and run it through the inside of the car and tape the wire on to the end to pull it through. Remove the heat shield for easier access and make sure you let the IC cool off before you do (laugh)

thank you for that picture. it is possible to get 1/0 through that stock grommet, but its just incredibly hard. i got it through. (cheers) it took quite awhile and it was done at about 1/2" at a time. yay

thats why i said screw it and drilled my own hole and stuck a grommet on it... took 10mins

dommo_g said:
What kind of system are you building that you need to run 1/0 guage wire?

Eclipse 8053
Elemental Designs 9.2x
DLS Nobelium 6.2's
Elemental Designs 9.1
Elemental Designs 13av2

The 9.1 doesnt not have a regulated power supply like most amps, so its capable of much more power than rated.. the downfall to that is its very sensitive to voltage drop. The best way to fight voltage drop is larger awg wire.

Ill be doing the charging system (alt to batt, batt to ground, chassis to block) with 1/0 also. I will also have a dry cell battery in the back.

nice...look to see pics when done...I am working on sourcing components now for my build in the next week....just bought CDT 62's, CDT 6.5 Coax, Audiocontrol LC6 (to use stock hu), Phoenix Gold Xenon 100.4 and a 600.1, and my sub is a tcsounds.com TC-9 12 inch. I am thinking 4 awg will be enough....opinions???

mcopare said:
nice...look to see pics when done...I am working on sourcing components now for my build in the next week....just bought CDT 62's, CDT 6.5 Coax, Audiocontrol LC6 (to use stock hu), Phoenix Gold Xenon 100.4 and a 600.1, and my sub is a tcsounds.com TC-9 12 inch. I am thinking 4 awg will be enough....opinions???

4 awg is fine. the pg amps have regulated power supplies on them. the tc-9's have great motors on em. im not a fan of that company cuz the owner is a douche, but im sure youll love the sub. looks like a great setup so far.. and not a ton of money at that.

Another quick question....I do not have time to do the install, I got quotes from a couple of local installation places for about $300 to install all of the gear above. Is that about right?

$300 is pretty cheap actually. if its a reputable place, and you arent comfortable doing it yourself, i would jump on it.

i didnt quite understand what you meant by passing on the eds for the tcsounds to save on trunk space.. the eds take less enclosure volume than the tc's do. ed used the tc9 motors on the flatcone a series subs from about 3 years ago. the current line up is more efficient and requires smaller enclosures.

this might be a little late but i guess better late than never. if you're car has an auto tranny, you could use the hole that's meant for the clutch assembly of the manual tranny variant.

G85 said:
this might be a little late but i guess better late than never. if you're car has an auto tranny, you could use the hole that's meant for the clutch assembly of the manual tranny variant.

its a manual. i dont think the ms3 comes in an auto... its been taken care of though. thanks. i mounted my main fuse in the same location as your pics.

Back