'03 P5 or '04 6 ?

jad0110

Hello all,

I currently own a red 2003 MP5 5 spd with leather interior and 43k miles. She is a sweet car in like-new condition (garage kept since new, and I park it away from everyone else), and has given me years of trouble free service. The only obvious features missing are a sunroof, subwoofer and auto-dimming mirror.

I have an opportunity to buy my sister's black '04 Mazda6 V6 5 door (hatchback), with tan leather, bose audio, 5 spd, power seats, sunroof, climate control, etc. The only thing missing is a Nav system, so the options are piled on. It has 55k miles on it. The interior is flawless, though even though it is garage kept the exterior does have a few scratches.

Basically, I can sell my P5 for about what her car is worth, so I'd about break even. My car is paid for, so I can simply sell it and buy hers with cash.

So, I'm trying to decide which route to take (bang) .

P5 advantages:

Better MPG (about 31 vs 24, average), better clutch (the 6 clutch engagement is just downright stange), finish is in better shape, 12k fewer miles, better visibility, better steering feel, better brake feel, and overall more personality / character. It also feels a lot lighter on its feet (duh) and is therefore more confidence inspiring than the porky 6. Also, something tells me that the P5 has a significant advantage in reliability, but I could be wrong.

Mazda6 advantages:

Way more power with the V6 (and that V6 has an awesome snarl at WOT too), better center armrest, more comfy seats (though the P5's aren't far behind), it's loaded with goodies, Bose audio, tan seats won't fry my anus as bad in the NC summers, more room, telescoping steering wheel (I'm 6'7", my wife is 5'), better handling (though it doesn't feel like it), handling is more neutral (less understeer than the P5), smoother ride and it probably has better crash test ratings because of the extra mass, something my wife finds particularly attractive.

I haven't yet checked the insurance differences, but I will on Monday.

At this point, I lean more towards keeping my P5, simply because I have grown attached to it. She has been a great companion. The P5 is more carefree and playful, the 6 is more grown up. But, I'd like to hear your thoughts and opinions.

Last edited:
although I do miss the nimbleness of the protege sometimes, V6 snarl FTW

really I could go either way

the true winner would be a protege with a V6 :)

Well that can be done, but it costs a bit. Though I think that is not the point of his question.

Protege5:
Handles really good, and get even better!
Good gas mileage, can you say $4.00 a gallon?!?
Lower maintance cost

Mazda 6:
Handles really good, but does not give confidence to do so
Good power

Personally, I would say keep the protege5. I personally think a light an nimble car would keep you from an accident more so than a bigger heavier car. I would also point out is the possibility of make more power with the P5 using NA mods and getting better mpg. If you do not care about mpg you have four options:

1.) Turbo the P5
2.) Drop a KL-ZE in your P5
3.) Get the Mazda 6
4.) Wait and get the new Mazda 6 when it comes out

tough question. My wife wants a 6 for her next car so we test drove one and while the pick-up was decent, it didn't have the buttoned down feel of the Protege. I'd say go with the 6 though. I think once you get used to the mass, you'll appreciate the extra giddy-up.

Well, you posted in the P5 section.. so I think we know what you want ;)

I wouldn't get it. I work at a Mazda dealership so I've had a lot of time to compare. The turning radius rivals that of a boat, and plus, I'm just not too fond of how they look. Plus, I personally don't like auto climate, and hate that tan interior, and wish that my prot didn't have a sunroof. Last thing that I look at when getting a car is the audio. That is always easily upgradable

Honestly I don't think there's that big of a MPG difference. The way I had to drive my protege to get it to move at all, the mileage was never that good anyway. Once or twice, I eaked by a 30 mpg fillup on all-highway. But most fill-ups I was between 23 and 27 mpg. The 6 isn't much worse. All highway I get 27, around town/mix I get maybe 22-23. The protege was fun, but there was never any extra power in reserve. I was already using all of it just to keep up with minivans at half-throttle. The header helped give a little extra kick around 4500 rpm, but it wasn't much. Highway driving in the 6 is a breeze; you almost never have to use 4th gear. The suspension could be "buttoned down" a little more, like some have said, but handling is still quite good. If it really bothers you, some shocks/sways, and maybe some springs will do the trick.

The one thing that hasn't been mentioned yet: the drive-by-wire throttle. I think mine is one of the earlier defective ones, but throttle lag is a b****. I have been too lazy to get the new version, so I can't really complain until I do that. But I do miss the simplicity and directness of the cable actuated throttle.

If I were faced with that same decision I'd swing for the 6. As stated, the extra torque gets you moving easier and ultimately keeps you about the same MPG IF you are WOT on the P5 trying to keep up with everyone.

The 6 has more room, stock suspension on the P5 isn't amazing and neither is the 6 so each will need springs/struts/sways to really wake it up.

Sedan body, hatch rear, V6 and 5 spd... sounds like an awesome combination. Nodoby else offers a simple 4dr sedan body style with a hatch rear, so that is pretty dang cool, and useful too.

I'd go with the 6. P5's a great car, but I think the 6 is up a level in terms of refinement.

Thanks for all the advice everyone.

I have personally decided to keep my P5, the price gap between my car in hers is more like $2800. My P5 seems to have taken a bigger than normal depreciation hit in the last 6 months, wherehas her 6 has held steady. My sister offered to knock her 6 down to the loan amount (bring the gap to within 1,000), but I can't do that to her. She can get more $$$ by selling to someone else, something important to her after her back surgery. That's her main reason for selling her 6, BTW. She want's something with an automatic at a higher ride height to make getting in/out and loading/unloading stuff easier, so she is looking at used Hyundai Santa Fes.

My wife will get a shot at driving the 6 tomorrow, if she likes it enough I'll dip into savings to buy it, but I'd rather pass on that.

In the end, I guess I am just too attached to my sweet P5, something that I realized just this morning. Maybe a light pressure turbo is an option for the future, I'll have to do some research on that. Preferrably something that would still run on regular.

Thanks again!

Last edited:
In the end, I guess I am just too attached to my sweet P5. Maybe a light pressure turbo is an option for the future, I'll have to do some research on that. Preferrably something that would still run on regular.
no such animal

Yeah, My aunt has a 6s and well... Its fast and fun. But one word, well two

FEED BACK

When you drive the P5 there is alot of feed back from the road, making it easier to corner and allowing you to 'feel' the corner, the 6 is lacking. Keep the p5 and wait until gas is $4+ a gallon, you'll be happier (thinkbeer

I have the same sort of Q? I have 03 p5 my girls car is peace o s*** thinking she takes mine so I can buy a speed6 they've gone down in price a bit the u can find 06 with 30 to 40k miles for under 20k and it is a very sweet car twice the power my slo5 is makin so I want some opinions

Back