02 P5 gas tank issue!

redsand71

Hello everyone!
I have a 2002 P5 ,and I recently hit something that popped a small hole in my gas tank. I tried JB weld ,but it only lasted 4 months..It only slightly leaks if it's above 3/4 full.I was thinking of REPLACING TANK..any advice , directions or comments on doing this myself.. how much woulda garage charge if I supply parts?? do u recomend replacing fuel filter too?? it has 67,000mi's

thanks for any help on this..
also....if anyone can provide a step by step replacement of tank and filter(or at least take it out) ,please please do so...
thx!

Last edited:
i'd replace the tank if i were you. you don't want more probs down the road plus you are wasting money with the gas leaking and polluting. it'd prob be a couple hundred dollars for the tank alone. at least a few hours for labor.

The fuel filter is in the tank and is meant to be a "lifetime" item (boom07) so no need to worry about that . I'd be more worried of a stray cig butt rolling under my car. You may be able to repace it yourself if you have the room/time/tools.

Bala de Plata said:
The fuel filter is in the tank and is meant to be a "lifetime" item (boom07) so no need to worry about that . I'd be more worried of a stray cig butt rolling under my car. You may be able to repace it yourself if you have the room/time/tools.

cig butt lighting it is impossible, thanks mythbusters

i would just go ahead and replace it and check on the fuel filter, but it can be spendy, so if it is a "lifetime" part (thought that was impossible these days) just skip it

just drill a screw into the hole, you could also use that screw to ground a power amp as well, just an idea (stoned)

jordanserre said:
cig butt lighting it is impossible, thanks mythbusters

i would just go ahead and replace it and check on the fuel filter, but it can be spendy, so if it is a "lifetime" part (thought that was impossible these days) just skip it

I love that show ... I havn't seen it in a while due to me downgrading to "basic" cable to save a few $$$. Good to know this is a non-issue. When I picked up my first Protege, I didn't have a owner's/service manual and went everywhere looking for a fuel filter ... nobody had one. Turns out that its a "sock" on the in-tank pump ... I don't buy the "lifetime" BS either.

NoRotor said:
just drill a screw into the hole, you could also use that screw to ground a power amp as well, just an idea (stoned)
hehehe, u trying to give zoom zoom boom a whole new meaning, aren't you?

Bala de Plata said:
Maybe I'm completely stupid (hey, anything's possible) but I thought the fuel filter was in the fuel pump. Which can be found under that little trap door thingy under the back seat cushions. Are you talking about some 'other' fuel filter?

I'm looking at the shop manual for an '02P5 and it shows a high pressure and a low pressure filter that is part of the fuel pump assembly. I figured that eventualy one or both of these filters would need to be changed. They are filters after all... eventually they clog up with the crap they're filtering.

Maybe you're just expected to replace the entire fuel pump once the filters start to fail.... I dunno.... that seems like it would be expensive.

Are you all talking about some other fuel filter that's 'a permanent part in the fuel tank'?

beetlecat said:
Are you all talking about some other fuel filter that's 'a permanent part in the fuel tank'?
Nope ... I didn't know there are two filters, but I was told it was a "sock" and part of the pump assembly.

beetlecat said:
Maybe you're just expected to replace the entire fuel pump once the filters start to fail.... I dunno.... that seems like it would be expensive.

Quite possible - at the dealer. I tried all the major parts stores in my area and came up short looking for an aftermarket one. I was going WTF?! ... so I started looking a little deeper and found something like this: http://replacement.autopartswarehou...RO--005&category=All&part=Fuel Screen&dp=true

I was then told by the friendly guy at the parts counter of my local dealer that this "sock" is considered a "lifetime" part. I'm with you, this must gunk up eventually ... but probably outside the unofficial seven year lifespan most manufactures give to their vehicles. I was looking for a traditional in-line fuel filter to replace (like one's I've had on all my other cars) and the Protege does not have one.

*Edit* - added a thumb from the shop manual. Yep - they say there are two. I hope I never need to mess with this. :confused:

Attachments

• fuel pump.JPG
    fuel pump.JPG
    100.5 KB · Views: 250
Last edited:
To further confuse matters... I see in the Owner's Manual the Maintenance Schedule for Chile calls for replacing the fuel filter every 24K miles. WTF!

What fuel filter is Mazda referring to here....
The sock-like 'lifetime' filter that has been mentioned in this thread.
Or the high pressure fuel filter in the fuel pump? How about the low pressure fule fliter in the fuel pump? And wow, why would you have to replace the fuel filter so often in Chile? Do they have really dirty gas or what?

I'm so confused. If the manual calls for replacement... what part are they refering to and why do they only say to replace it in Chile.

Could Mazda be less clear? (uhm) (rei)

There is another inline fuel filter located between the tank and the engine...I'm not sure exactly where it is located on this car, though. Should be able to find it by looking under the car for something about the size of a beer can.

Eric

yeah, the drill and plug it idea is the best so far.
JB weld should've lasted longer though. Did you prepare the surface before application?

but, obviously, don't actually drill it. unless of course you want to let us know exactly what filter got plugged up with metal shavings! (evil)

beetlecat said:
To further confuse matters... I see in the Owner's Manual the Maintenance Schedule for Chile calls for replacing the fuel filter every 24K miles. WTF!

What fuel filter is Mazda referring to here....
The sock-like 'lifetime' filter that has been mentioned in this thread.
Or the high pressure fuel filter in the fuel pump? How about the low pressure fule fliter in the fuel pump? And wow, why would you have to replace the fuel filter so often in Chile? Do they have really dirty gas or what?

I'm so confused. If the manual calls for replacement... what part are they refering to and why do they only say to replace it in Chile.

Could Mazda be less clear? (uhm) (rei)

I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed the Chile section of our maintenance guide. IIRC it also says to replace the timing belt at 60k, not just inspect it. I have no clue why it is, is the climate really weird there?

A couple of years ago I hit some "fallen rock" and holed the fuel tank. Got a repair from a Big O tires in Nephi Utah (don't ask..) Held for a year, but finally had to spring for a new tank. Best bet is to buy a new tank, patches do not last...

Buy a new tank. ANd the inline filter is beghind the tank, under the side of the rear bumper. It's a small cylinder. Doesn't ever need to be replaced though.

Maxx Mazda said:
Buy a new tank. ANd the inline filter is beghind the tank, under the side of the rear bumper. It's a small cylinder. Doesn't ever need to be replaced though.

So that's what that thing is, every time I'm under there I wonder.

mazdaddy said:
A couple of years ago I hit some "fallen rock" and holed the fuel tank. Got a repair from a Big O tires in Nephi Utah (don't ask..) Held for a year, but finally had to spring for a new tank. Best bet is to buy a new tank, patches do not last...

did you repair it yourself or goto garage??
I got a quote for a 'used' tank for 100.00 bucks and was thinking doing it myself...

Uhhh...re-read what I posted.. Big O in Nephi Ut repaired it...so I did not do it myself (eyeballs) ... They only charged me the cost of the repair kit & labor... Good Mormons I had the fortune to run into... any where else they Knew they had me by the short hairs and could have charged me up the ying yang... and I would have paid it( WTF else could I have gone!!) Held up for a year, but any repair of this type is not permanent. Save yourself some grief and REPLACE THE TANK!.
BTW.. when the road signs indicate free range cattle & fallen rock Believe It! I hit the rocks because I was dodging Cows On The Road!

I forgot to add... after the patch failed I went to the dealer for the replacement...$800...Ouch!!
But my usual mechanic had sold his business to a guy who only works on cars from Europe so I was SOL...

Back