16x8 +50 Offset Fitment?

sean22306

Contributor
:
2003 Mazdaspeed Protege
I am picking up a set of FD's tomorrow and just curious about fitment. I had some on my car before with a 225/50/16 and had rubbing issues. I used 5mm spacers front and rear. Without the spacer it hit the strut. I needed a smaller spacer on the rear. Here are some pictures from before:

fd4.jpg

fd5.jpg

The fender gap looked good but rubbed.
fd6.jpg

With the 5mm spacers the front sat pretty flush but the rear stuck out pretty far.
fd3.jpg

They look pretty good and weigh nothing. (and the stickers are gone now, I bought the car with them on there)

This time I will get either a 215/50 or a 205/55 to go on them. Any ideas on what will work best and what size spacers to use let me know. I can get a pair of 3mm spacers off my buddy.

Also the car is lowered and I would like to stay away from fender rolling.

Any help is appreciated! Thanks

I bought a set and took it right off because I was having issues with the offset too.

The fronts rub on the struts BIG TIME! The rears do not need spacers. They are fine as is.

a 205 may be too narrow for a 8" wheel. Send a PM to xelderx. He had these on his P5 before it was totalled

a 205 may be too narrow for a 8" wheel. Send a PM to xelderx. He had these on his P5 before it was totalled

Yeah, it's perfect for a 7", although MSPs use 215. The FD wheels I have are 225/50/16 Blizzaks. Snows FTW in CANADA!

I am doing the same thing. Here is what I found on the forum.
245/45-16 Hankooks, FD rims, Pro5
3rd Gen RX-7 Wheels on the Pro5

What I gathered from the thread is that a small spacer is required in the rear and a 15mm was used in the front but that was to fit the 245's and not the 225's or smaller.

From what you have said no spacer in the rear and a 5mm in front; or maybe a 10mm in the front to even the stance out.

Let me know.

Last edited:
I am going to pick up the set tomorrow then I'll order my tires. I think I'm going with the 215/50's. Rim and tire width shouldnt be too big of an issue, just have a little stretch like the "euro" guys. I'm excited I found a rare set of the chrome stockers. $150 for the set :)

When I tried the fd's with no spacer on the rear it rubbed the strut. That was also with a 225 tire. Would the tire make that much difference? I was hoping the narrower tire will eliminate the rub.

I checked out xelderx's thread and he has a lot more clearance than mine did with the old ones on. I barely had a 1 finger gap. I bought the car lowered so I'm not sure what springs were on it or how much lower it is. I think I'll try the 3mm spacer on the rears (unless they fit without rubbing) and the 5mm up front.

Last edited:
When I tried the fd's with no spacer on the rear it rubbed the strut. That was also with a 225 tire. Would the tire make that much difference? I was hoping the narrower tire will eliminate the rub.

That added too much rim and tire to the inside. FD is 5mm closer to the center of the car to start with and then the .5 inch that was also added.

I checked out xelderx's thread and he has a lot more clearance than mine did with the old ones on. I barely had a 1 finger gap. I bought the car lowered so I'm not sure what springs were on it or how much lower it is.

xelderx probably has double the spring rate that you have when compared to most aftermarket drop springs. He probably is riding higher also.

I think I'll try the 3mm spacer on the rears (unless they fit without rubbing) and the 5mm up front.

Heres my take on you setup.

I dont think its the 225 tires because that will work on a stock system; its an offset issue.

+50mm on the FD
+55mm on the Stock Racingharts

One-inch wider wheels will add 25.4mm total width. The 5mm spacer puts you at an affective offset of +45 which is 3mm total LESS clearance on the inside and extends 23.5mm total. The inner fender starts to slope down to the ground giving you less tire to inner fender clearance. xelderx makes this work with 245's because of the stiff spring rates, the suspension rarely compresses that far to rub.

So with the 5mm front and the 3mm rear I think the wheels should fit and have minimal rubbing with a 225 tire possible none with the 215.

If that does work let me know and where you get you spacers.

Found this in my PM's from xelderx

They will fit the same as the regular Protege. The centerbore has to be enlarged slightly to fit the Protege hubs, but that's pretty simple for any machine shop. I had to use a 3mm spacer front and rear to clear the stock style struts. my AWR coilovers are spaced a little differently and I don't need the spavers anymore, although I do have 15mm hubcentric spacers in the front to help fill out the fenders a little better. They would be a tight squeeze on a MSP with stock spring rates. The fact that they are 8" wide doesn't leave much room for the outer fender/tire clearence. I'm running 450# springs in the back to keep the tires from getting up into the fenders too much

So basically enlarge the centerbore some then I should be fine with the spacers I have?

Here they are
ChromeFD.jpg

Last edited:
Here was a test fit with no spacers. 225's rubbed the strut in the rear and fronts only rubbed when wheel was cut petty far. I think a 215 will eliminate the rear and I'll try a 3mm on the front. If not I'll throw 5mm's on the front and the 3's on the rear.

ChromeFDside.jpg

ChromeFDangle.jpg

Latest posts

Back