AWD Mazdaspeed 3, STI killer

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/au...arconcept.html

dgmotorsportsawdmazdaspeedmazda3rallyecarconcept.mazdaspeed3dgf34340.img.jpg

DG Motorsports AWD Mazdaspeed Mazda3 Rallye Car Concept

What is it?
DG Motorsports AWD Mazdaspeed Mazda3 Rallye Car

What's special about it?
You may think the DG Motorsports AWD Mazdaspeed Mazda3 Rallye Car looks like a typical hyped-up sport compact at the SEMA show. But the truth of the matter is that Mazdaspeed and the team at DG Motorsports in Oceanside, California, have done more than build the average tuner car.

We'll say that they've built the car that Mazda should have created in the first place.

We like the Mazdaspeed Mazda3, but can't help but feel that its explosive power potential could be better harnessed by all-wheel drive. You know, like the system in the Mazdaspeed Mazda6. It turns out that David Green of DG Motorsports apparently agrees, because his company has created an STI killer by transplanting the drivetrain of the Mazdaspeed 6 into the confines of a Mazdaspeed 3.

The great miracle of it all, according to Jack Stavana, Mazda's director of accessory operations, has been that the Mazdaspeed 3 chassis required very few modifications to accept the all-wheel drivetrain. There was adequate room in the floorpan's central tunnel to sit the driveshaft just a hair below the chassis line thanks to a little fabrication. The Mazdaspeed 6 rear differential is supported by the stock Mazdaspeed 3 rear suspension, which DG says has proven more than adequate. The brakes received a minor makeover courtesy of new pads and rotors.

The enhanced stoppers hide behind 18-inch Rays wheels, which have been fitted with sticky Toyo R888 tires. Considering the tire choice and a ride height that's 1.5 inches lower than before, we'll assume this "Rallye Car" has been set up for an asphalt stage. The other clue to the car's tarmac-stage setup is the swath of custom carbon-fiber pieces, ranging from the front spoiler to the rear aero diffuser. Also note that the body is slightly wider than stock and there is a carbon-fiber ram-air hood scoop to help the engine ingest cold air.

The air enters by way of a cold-air intake into an engine that is otherwise stock. That's no bad thing, since the factory turbocharged inline-4 pulls hard even at speed. With the help of a custom dual exhaust, the engine is said to be good for an additional 30 horsepower over stock, so we're talking a total of 293 hp.

Inside, it's all business. Sparco seats replace the stockers and are equipped with Sparco five-point racing harnesses. There's little left of the factory interior, with a lot more raw paint visible than factory plastics and carpeting.

What's Edmunds' take?
Mazdaspeed and DG Motorsports have built the Mazdaspeed 3 that should have been. Build it, Mazda. James Tate, Contributor

I've heard from numerous (knowledgeable) types that the AWD system in the MS6 is crap. Adequate for most of the market, but nowhere near as advanced as the systems found in the Sti, Evo or even base WRX. Something about it basically being a FWD car until the need to engage the rears kick in.

Who knows? Maybe that was bad information... I know about as much about drivetrains as I do about crocheting. I'm just sayin what I heard.

link is broken... strange for a users first post but interesting stuff if its true...

this has been posted more than 1 time... Info about it is somewhere else on this forum, as well as a few times on the other forum.

I went to edmuns insideline site and couldn't find anything, sooo....
I'm calling :bs:

OOPS!!! Nevermind found it. Click here

Last edited:
I read it twice....I think that the MS6 awd is garbage compared to the competitors...But i dont think thats what they used i maybe wrong...But im sure they had some upgraded axels or something of that nature...

I've heard from numerous (knowledgeable) types that the AWD system in the MS6 is crap. Adequate for most of the market, but nowhere near as advanced as the systems found in the Sti, Evo or even base WRX. Something about it basically being a FWD car until the need to engage the rears kick in.

Who knows? Maybe that was bad information... I know about as much about drivetrains as I do about crocheting. I'm just sayin what I heard.

They should re up on their knowledge, there is nothing "advanced" about the wrx's awd system, its just 4x4. The 08's might be different, but they just run very simple 50/50 splits. Im sure the mazdaspeed 6 version can be tweaked with through the computer to send more power to the rear, kinda like skyline gtr's. The mazdaspeed 6 system is very similar to the one found in the old s4 and the s60r, you really dont need the rear power to kick in until your front tires loose traction anyways. Whatever way it works, it still is 100x better than being fwd and I hope someone comes out with some sort of kit for this, it would make the ms3 untouchable in my mind in terms of an overall package.

I don't know man... I think you might be off here. The WRX, by comparrison, has a rwd bias... while the ms6's awd system is more biased towards the front wheels. that's a huge difference and one that can't be overlooked.

This CG mock-up shows the sheer amount of custom carbon fiber on the AWD concept car ram-air hood, front splitter and blistered fenders. The giant rear wing is complemented by a carbon-fiber rear aero diffuser

Even though Mazda's awd system is front biased, it will help. All the awd cars I can think of with a transverse mounted engine are going to be front biased. The Evo has a manual controller for bias.

I used to have an Audi TT and that was a front biased Haldex system (the same as on the R32). I know that Haldex offerred a differnet brain for it that changed the onset and ratio of power transmission to the rear wheels. I don't see why it couldn't be done in this situation, if needed.

LOL @ STi killer.

That's never going to happen. How many years of experience does Subaru have perfecting their performance awd transmission systems compared to Mazda?

Latest posts

Back