New P5 Owner!

Fetish

New P5 Owner - I love her!

I just picked up my Laser Blue 2003 P5 in San Jose, CA this past Saturday. Traded in my 98 Honda Civic LX with 153K miles for her. What a fantastic car! She's already hauled a couple loads of groceries that I never thought would fit in the back! This weekend, I move the rest of my stuff out of my house and I'm sure she'll surprise me again with the amount of stuff she can haul.

There weren't any car accidents reported on her carfax report, but my boyfriend and I noticed that the passenger side fender was a bit off from the hood. Coupled with the fact that the alignment is WAY off, I'm starting to wonder if she met with a curb or some other low speed "oops". As part of the deal, the dealership is putting 4 new tires on her and doing an alignment if it's then necessary. When I went in to have them order the new tires, I asked if the OEM Dunlops were covered under the workorder, I eventually was told that they would be installing "Nexen" brand tires and the OEM Dunlops would be additional. I quickly researched Nexen and didn't come up with much, only that they were mentioned most frequently on Corvette and Mustang forums and seemed to be liked for high performance cars.

I'm hoping to start doing some work on her - first a stereo. I need my Sirius satellite radio and ipod adapter back so I'll be looking at what Alpine has to offer that will fit in this car. Looks like that'll run me about $650 with parts and install. Also looking at Lojack for the insurance deduction (I'd make up for the cost of the Lojack in the first year of ownership). Also looking at a new cold air intake and some other performance mods, but much more research will be required for that.

All in all, I love this car. She has a nice performance boost over my Honda and she looks fantastic.

Last edited:
Also, as a follow up - not sure when the last oil change/water pump/timing belt was done. She's only at 60K miles right now, so I'm thinking that it's unlikely that she has had the timing belt done. For my Civic, I was told that you can't really tell when it needs to be done as it doesn't show "wear" as other belts might - Is this the same on the Mazdas? How much do I need to worry about getting this done soon?

Additionally - Do you guys continue to use dealerships once their car goes out of warranty or do you find a local mechanic for all work? I'm looking for a good mechanic in the San Francisco area if anyone has any recommendations! =)

(mswerd)
Fetish said:
I just picked up my Laser Blue 2003 P5 in San Jose, CA this past Saturday. Traded in my 98 Honda Civic LX with 153K miles for her. What a fantastic car! She's already hauled a couple loads of groceries that I never thought would fit in the back! This weekend, I move the rest of my stuff out of my house and I'm sure she'll surprise me again with the amount of stuff she can haul.

There weren't any car accidents reported on her carfax report, but my boyfriend and I noticed that the passenger side fender was a bit off from the hood. Coupled with the fact that the alignment is WAY off, I'm starting to wonder if she met with a curb or some other low speed "oops". As part of the deal, the dealership is putting 4 new tires on her and doing an alignment if it's then necessary. When I went in to have them order the new tires, I asked if the OEM Dunlops were covered under the workorder, I eventually was told that they would be installing "Nexen" brand tires and the OEM Dunlops would be additional. I quickly researched Nexen and didn't come up with much, only that they were mentioned most frequently on Corvette and Mustang forums and seemed to be liked for high performance cars.

I'm hoping to start doing some work on her - first a stereo. I need my Sirius satellite radio and ipod adapter back so I'll be looking at what Alpine has to offer that will fit in this car. Looks like that'll run me about $650 with parts and install. Also looking at Lojack for the insurance deduction (I'd make up for the cost of the Lojack in the first year of ownership). Also looking at a new cold air intake and some other performance mods, but much more research will be required for that.

All in all, I love this car. She has a nice performance boost over my Honda and she looks fantastic.
Hey, welcome!! and FYI you can only get Lo-jack from the dealer-ship, and if you didnt get the car from them you probably wont get it

TreFlip999 said:
(mswerd) Hey, welcome!! and FYI you can only get Lo-jack from the dealer-ship, and if you didnt get the car from them you probably wont get it

I did actually pick up this car from the dealership, so I do have that option still. I just need to wait for a paycheck before I drop the $800 on the system.

26d93aa9a6e0b9237a84a96dce191e280_large.jpg
good job on ditchin the honda...Welcome to the P5 world

Hey, I was going to do my own "new Owner post" but i saw yours and and just decided to ad on to yours. I just bought one a few days ago, also in San Jose Ca. Mines an 03 Metallic Blue P5. So far i just put on some rim but will do some suspension work as soon as the new Nasa season starts.

These are my rims off my old celica. I have new tires on so i didn't want them to go to waste so i put them on my P5. I will get bigger rims later. But i really like these for now.

IMG_0109resize-1.jpg
IMG_0108resize.jpg

No good pics yet. She sits under a tree at work, so she's DIRTY!! I need to find a good car wash place to take her since I don't have any place at my house to wash her myself.

I had the new tires put on and balanced and it's a HUGE difference in the drive experience. Before the tires, I would drive to work (~45 miles) and by the time I got here, my hands would be numb from the wheel shaking. There's none of that now.

I do have another problem though... the rear wiper fluid sprayer seems to be clogged... initially, it was a brown dribble, but now it won't spray at all. Any suggestions for getting this unclogged myself?

Fetish said:
No good pics yet. She sits under a tree at work, so she's DIRTY!! I need to find a good car wash place to take her since I don't have any place at my house to wash her myself.

I had the new tires put on and balanced and it's a HUGE difference in the drive experience. Before the tires, I would drive to work (~45 miles) and by the time I got here, my hands would be numb from the wheel shaking. There's none of that now.

I do have another problem though... the rear wiper fluid sprayer seems to be clogged... initially, it was a brown dribble, but now it won't spray at all. Any suggestions for getting this unclogged myself?
safety pin..

Hey, welcome both of you, I think thats the 3rd new p5 owner in the bay in the last week! We should all go for a drive sometime.

Oh and a word of caution. Avoid Oak Tree Mazda if thats where you were going, they treated me horribly.

It's actually Oak Tree Mazda where I picked up my car. It's already having to go back in. 4 brand new tires on Tuesday and as of this Thursday morning, I have a flat? Oh, and the alignment that they said it didn't need? Travels left the moment I take my hands off the wheel. Have a call in to them now. Not too impressed as of yet. What problem did you have with them?

What other Bay Area Mazda dealership do you recommend?

Back