First CEL on Mazdaspeed3

RPI-Speed3

:
2007 Mazdaspeed 3, 2004 Mazda RX-8
Just bought my Black MS3 Monday and got a CEL this morning around 11am. Ran through the gears and RPMS (up to 5500) and the car is running fine. Its at the dealer getting hooked up to the scantool as we speak. I'll keep everyone posted as to what it was.

yeah i would imagine its the purge selonoid code something to do with the evap system... common problem on the reg 3...

thought mazda would update the newer cars with better pcv valves already-- there's nothing more disheartening than getting a CEL the first month of ownership. It's most likely a loose gas cap.

tsunami said:
yeah i would imagine its the purge selonoid code something to do with the evap system... common problem on the reg 3...

You got it tsumami. Just got the word back from my mechanic. Bad purge valve. He said it was common on the 2.3L turbo engine and in the Mazda 3s. He said he's personally replaced around 35 of these since te CX-7 came out. He said not serious and for me not to be surprised if i see the CEL for the same reason again.

oh damn i forgot the cxc7 was running the same valve... you think mazda would have beat their supplier into submission with the bad ones by now???

RPI:

My wife had the same issue with her CX-7. Dealer ordered her a new gas cap and the CEL never came back again.

Guess this is something to keep an eye out when I get my 3.

RPI-Speed3 said:
You got it tsumami. Just got the word back from my mechanic. Bad purge valve. He said it was common on the 2.3L turbo engine and in the Mazda 3s. He said he's personally replaced around 35 of these since te CX-7 came out. He said not serious and for me not to be surprised if i see the CEL for the same reason again.

Thanks for the heads up. Kudos to the dealer for being available on a Sunday. Not gonna happen here in the bible belt.

They could be using the last of those defective gas caps. They probably discovered the problem when the Mazdaspeed 3s are into production.

thebeansoldier said:
thought mazda would update the newer cars with better pcv valves already-- there's nothing more disheartening than getting a CEL the first month of ownership. It's most likely a loose gas cap.

purge valve != pcv valve

Renesis8 said:
They could be using the last of those defective gas caps. They probably discovered the problem when the Mazdaspeed 3s are into production.

the 3s never used the same gas cap as the MPV/MX-5/RX-8/CX-7

That's weak! Whether it's serious or not, for many, bringing a car back to the dealership for ANY problem is a hassle. The closest Mazda dealership for me is about 30 miles the opposite way I go to work. I'd be ripped if I just bought a new car and had to return it for something so "common". Hey Mazda, if you're reading this, get your $hit together! haha

haha, that's not so bad. I work at a chevy dealer and you should see the amount of practically new cars that I have to work on for the dumbest problems over and over again...

Well this was a big pain in the butt. I had to cancel a meeting and an appt to get window tint on the car. I actually had to sit @ the dealer for about 2.5 hours.

What is the difference between the PCV valve and purge valve?

pcv = positive crankcase ventilation...keeps your crankcase from developing pressure(don't want that)

the purge valve is part of the evaporative emissions system and it releases fuel vapors that have gone through the canister(basically a charcoal filter) to be recycled back into the engine.

I just threw a CEL light also, about 3 days ago. I'm bringing the car in on Tuesday. It's a 45 minute drive there and back. I'm not pleased.

damn, 45 minutes one way...and thats the closest mazda dealership?

there are 9 mazda dealers within 45minutes of me. 2 of them are less than 5mins away(lol)

Back