GI : Big Brake Upgrade

:
2001 323 Astina SP20 (P5)
hey guys,

yes yes yes i know this is in the wrong forum, but we are a pretty close bunch so i thought i'd express the idea here

how many ppl would be interested in my big brake upgrade?

basically i'd suppy the hat, rotor, brake lines, you just need to supply the series 5 rx7 4 piston caliper and you'd be ready to go with a little bit of work.

just to give you an idea on pricing, the rotors cost around $500aud (that's apx $400usd - they are full on race rotors and can handle anything you throw at them) retail so hopefully i could get them a good bit cheaper, brake lines probably not much and the rest of the cost would be the hat (price to be determined), shipping and you buying the caliper (or i could supply a rebuilt caliper).

just a reminder of what it looks like (inside stock wheels!) :

brakes.jpg

295x25mm 2 piece rotors, series 5 rx7 4 piston caliper. pad area apx 20% larger than stock protege5 and certainly a lot lot more braking power!

Interested. I can't run them right now in the class that I race, but if I ever move up to the next class I'll probably be looking into a brake upgrade. I already have the Calipers and the SS brake lines. I just need the rotors and the mounts for the calipers.

guess what i found today - they do!

i went to a shop and test fitted a volk te37 15x7.5 +43 offset

fits fine, with about 4mm clearance. the offset was wrong as the wheels stick about 5mm outside the wheel arch, but for drag racing that'll be fine. i'd think if you could get some of the 15x7's with +43 offset or 15x6.5's with the +45 offset they'd work great.

ps, damn they are light! fark me! i was looking at getting a pair of 15x7's which weighed around 20lbs as those were the only ones at the time i could find that fitted. these te37's weigh only 11.3lbs! gotta love that!!!! that'll certainly help with getting better drag racing times

hahahaha....as soon as i know, you'll know.

just need to hit up the rotor manufacturer to get some wholesale prices and work out how much the slabs of 6061 aluminium will cost and how much time it'll take to machine, and how much time another thing will take to make and i'll be set

*nods* Cool... Hopefully not too bad. I'd probably just need the rotors, since you're in AU, and I'm sure shipping for a set of calipers would be a b**** and a half. You had to hogger out the threaded section on the mount to get the new calipers to fit, right?

Bah...these are the times I wish I had a 3rd gen. Big brakes=slow car normally, but if they fit under 15s, that's not too bad.

that is a great sized rotor for the car!

i'd love to jump n, but im saving for the n/a MPI right now... :(

i havent bought the te37's yet, but if they are still available in a week or two then yes.

and yes they are bronze. so so so sexy

and did i mention the price? remembering they are used (but still have the original rays stickers inside the wheels so they cant be too used), the price is $480aud for the pair. that's around $380usd. i'm going to offer the guy $400 cash (316usd) and see what he says.

josh, you might be in luck. a guy here has a BG astina SP (hope you know what that is) and we're going to see what we can do with his brakes and this kit.

twilight, is there any way you can test these out on a 4-lug protege that has disks up front and rotors out back? if they fit, I'll have to go ***** myself out for some extra cash. lol

discs up front and drums out back you mean? but yeah, a few ppl here in oz have the 1.6 and 1.8 cars and we'll make it fit on them

yeah, I mean drums in rear.(screwy) I had just waken up. lol I have the 2.0, dont know if that makes a difference from the 1.6 and 1.8, but prob not.

i've just woken up too. however it's 7:39am here and i'm at damn work.

i'm pretty certain the 1.8 and 2L are the same setup, the 1.6's are slightly different from what i can gather. so with the 1.8 and 2 being the same, it'll just be a matter of drilling 4 holes instead of 5

That sounds cool. Let me know Andrew. If you can make this work, there'll probably be a lot of guys on clubprotege that would go in for them too.

Hey, Andrew; Is there any chance there's a Mazda of some sort out there that you can try the stock 15's from around those? I just wanna make sure my 929 rim's'll suck those things up without a problem. I guess I'm just paranoid. =)

If they fit, then I can probably expect about 500, plus shipping, yeah? Like, for the brake rotors and lines? That's what I'm planning for, since I nuked my present rotors (don't ask... Seriously. =)), and I'm either going to drop a couple hundred on a new set of 'em, or put on the stock rotors after I get them turned, if I'm going to end up with these. Lemme know!

inside stock 15's isnt overly likely, but we can certainly try (i think someone has stock 15's here). the reason i wouldnt think they'd fit is because with the stock 16's they are already pretty close. cast wheels are no where near as well made as the volk te37 15's i tried on. even with the te37's they had about the same clearance as the stock 16's!

Back