CX-7 Annoyances List...with Love

bomen

Ok, I've read some/many of these items here, but all in one place: who else recognizes these on theirs or can add to them? Oh, and before you (flame2) me, I do love my CX-7!!

1) fast idle on coldstart - 2K rpms or better, no let-up, so an on-edge 'drop' into gear;
2) doors sound flimsy and hinge creaks
3) doors do not autolock after above say, 10-15mph
4) car too much mommy checking for me - no way will it let doors lock w/o being shut first
5) wife loves the credit-card key remote; I hate it: too awkward in a pocket (easily broken), and too big on any keyring carryall;
6) CD player will not display any track info for 99% situations
7) overall, navigating the NAV with it's memory points, optional route options, deep menus, etc, not very intuitive;
8) very subtle "thunk" sound front-n-center underbody upon most initial first-of-the-day drive forwards (Mazda has said they've recognized this but don't know why yet - be warned)
9) leather seats kind of cheap(y) leather...hard..not a soft plush
10) brakes touchy on a friggin' dime!
11) side windows thunk up shut-no smoooooothness to 'em

Hm....ok. So I THOUGHT I liked the car......... (hand)

1) fast idle on coldstart - 2K rpms or better, no let-up, so an on-edge 'drop' into gear;

Not sure what you mean, but higher idle on coldstart is normal.

I've heard this, but not experienced it (at least not yet). The wind DOES catch them easy though!

A lot of people say this and I'm convinced at least a percentage of them are not following the procedure properly. You (the person with the smart key) HAVE TO be standing near the car when the last door is closed... then you'll hear the first beep. Now you can safely walk away and, when you're about 6 feet away, you should hear a second beep and it will lock.

You CANNOT get out of the car and walk away and then have you kid or spouse get out of the car and close there door after you. You can also not get out too so fast that the door is still closing once you're out of range. Take your time, LOL, and be the last one out.

I have never had the autolock not work.

4) car too much mommy checking for me - no way will it let doors lock w/o being shut first

Doesn't bother me. I'd rather be sure I can't lock my keys in the car.

5) wife loves the credit-card key remote; I hate it: too awkward in a pocket (easily broken), and too big on any keyring carryall;

I love it (but I'm the wife - LOL). All winter it's never left my coat pocket.

The CD player cannot support info that isn't there and a LOT of mass-market CDs do not support CD+Text. MP3 CDs, you have to make sure the ID3 Tags are intact. Track info will display fine.

7) overall, navigating the NAV with it's memory points, optional route options, deep menus, etc, not very intuitive;

I've had no problem with it, but it could definitely be much better. Don't get me started about the whole audio system. I have a lot of "issues" with it, but I'm also a geek.

8) very subtle "thunk" sound front-n-center underbody upon most initial first-of-the-day drive forwards (Mazda has said they've recognized this but don't know why yet - be warned)

I heard it the first few weeks I had the car. It has seemed to go away since then. Bizarre, but true.

I like them, but agree they could be a bit plushier.

Yes, at first I thought so too... but have come to LOVE them. So much better than any car I've ever driven. This is an asset, not a pitfall.

There's a feature called "auto vent" that can be turned on (it's on by default) and off that smooths out the windows going up and down. I like being able to hit the button once and have the window automatically crack open an inch. Don't ask me how to change the feature... I don't remember how to turn it off... but I might have read it here somewhere.

I know the feeling. I LOVE the car, but the audio/nav system downright pisses me off (to the point I'm going to pull it fairly soon). I think it's completely possible to love something and still recognize where it could be improved upon. Kinda like a spouse. LOL j/k

bomen said:
I do love my CX-7!!

QUOTE]

We also love our CX-7 and were first to buy in May 06. Only issue has been
two CEL's, have not even got the new gas cap yet. Your #8 issue is most likely the initial ABS test which I notice also in my RX-8. Only happens only on
the first drive forward.

12) No lights on vanity mirrors(shrug)

Great feedback!

CXRABBIT: item #3, sorry, I'm talking about it should have feature where,when you start driving, the doors autolock after anything above say, 15mph....fixes folks not remembering to lock doors.
Item #6, all mass-market CDs have the info...none of them show it. And they do on every other $30 CD player I own.
Item #12: ABSOLUTELY! I forgot! but my wife didn't! Thx for the add!

ZOOM49: Item #8, the ABS test...I never thought of that. Hope it's just that. (Wonder why Mazda wouldn't think of that?)

bomen said:
Ok, I've read some/many of these items here, but all in one place: who else recognizes these on theirs or can add to them? Oh, and before you (flame2) me, I do love my CX-7!!

Other owners complaining about everything under the sun Expected a 50,000 suv for around $30 grand

OK...I love this car and no car is perfect we discovered.
CEL.....came on once...never happened since.....9000 miles on her. No biggy.
Don't notice the so called lag much a tall.
Leather seats are not the best and could be softer. Not a huge deal.
Don't like the dirt on inside of doors....heard there is a bulletin for this and will look into once I go in for oil change.
Bose system is decent but not the best. I don't have Nav. I do have an issue with the system going out for several seconds at a time throughout the day...will have them look at it.
No lighted vanity mirrors in GT....no biggy though.
Great vehicle overall and few bugs are expected as with any new car....all makes and models have issues.....

MITZA said:
Other owners complaining about everything under the sun Expected a 50,000 suv for around $30 grand

Wow, I never knew that you have to go to $50K to gain some fundamental features my 2000 Dodge van had.....

sheesh. Sorry to rub your fur backwards...(dunno)

bomen said:

ahhhhhhhhhhh finally someone else with the THUNK SOUND. mine has been there since day 1, and gotten worse ever since. I posted about this sound way back, like when i had aroudn 700 miles on my car in october or nov. The sound is still there and worse at 6k miles.

while i had the mazda6 loaner, it made a similiar sound too. it had around 2k miles on it.

thank god im not crazy, this is the first post ive read acknowleding this sound other than mine from way back.

bomen said:
(hand)

If I buy a new CD, I make a quick copy of it in Itunes or Zune, & when the copied CD is put in the cdplayer(don't want to lose the origianl)...I get track info 100% fo the time

mikey1981 said:
ahhhhhhhhhhh finally someone else with the THUNK SOUND. mine has been there since day 1, and gotten worse ever since. I posted about this sound way back, like when i had aroudn 700 miles on my car in october or nov. The sound is still there and worse at 6k miles.

while i had the mazda6 loaner, it made a similiar sound too. it had around 2k miles on it.

thank god im not crazy, this is the first post ive read acknowleding this sound other than mine from way back.

Does Mazda say any ideas on this? Now I'm even more concerned, as I see others having it out there...

I see a printing of this thread and going to Mazda Regional Manager in my near future...

mikey1981 said:

Mikey,

I just had mine at the dealership and they said there is a service bulletin about it. The thud in question occurs when the tranny shifts from 1st to 2nd.

They ordered a new coupling or something for the driveshaft, I think... I was just happy they said it is a known problem; I didn't pay close enough attention. I am waiting to hear when the part comes in to schedule an appointment for the work.

There is also a fix for the door seals to prevent all the crud from gathering in the door jams... they ordered the new seals per my request as they were unaware of that one.

When I get the details on the drive train fix, I will be sure to post.

(lol2)
bomen said:
Wow, I never knew that you have to go to $50K to gain some fundamental features my 2000 Dodge van had.....

sheesh. Sorry to rub your fur backwards...(dunno)

Don't worry about people like that. Somewhere along the line they inherited the misperception that things like the stereo display and non-creaky doors are luxury features. (lol2)

The CX-7's sunroof could be pouring water and they'd tell us to quit whining and that we should expect it from a car that ONLY cost $30k. :rolleyes:

I agree with you on many of your points. Mazda made a handful of annoying oversights in the CX-7's design. Luckily they're only annoyances and not major flaws, but almost all of the ones you listed are things Mazda can change in later generations of the CX-7 with no impact on the car's pricing. Hopefully they do.

1killercls said:
The leather seats will become more "Plush" as they break in.

I disagree. They'll become softer (my driver's seat already has in some areas), but the leather is very very thin so I doubt it will ever become "plush" like we expect.

vbbuilt01 said:
(hah) Annoyances? There are none!

Vince

There are some things they could have done differently in terms of features, but they really don't annoy me. After over 4000 miles, the car has been great except for the CEL issue. Unfortunatley most of the issues that people complain about are a result of the CX7 being a first year vehicle despite the fact that some of the missing features seem blatant and bizare. I had a similiar experiance with my 2000 Honda Odyssey. It was the second year for that vehicle and there were many features it could or should have had, things that could have placed better. Back then you couldn't get leather or a moonroof in that vehicle. If you were to look at a new Odyssey, all of the original complaints and issues have been pretty much addressed and it is an entirely different vehicle. It shouldn't be this way, but it is and it's not just Mazda.

jmhumr said:
I disagree. They'll become softer (my driver's seat already has in some areas), but the leather is very very thin so I doubt it will ever become "plush" like we expect.

I was basing my opinion from my Acura...maybe they use better leather.

1killercls said:
I was basing my opinion from my Acura...maybe they use better leather.
IMO, the issue with the seats is not the leather, but rather the foam padding that they use underneath. I have the cloth interior and I have to say that the seats are probably the firmest that I have ever sat on in a car. Please don't list that as an annoyance though (from me anyway), because I love getting the road feedback.

Back