2016 CX-9 Recommendation

while it's a bit shocking for CX-9 sales numbers, but at the end of the day, it only matters if you like and enjoy your car,

I for one would prefer to have the uniqueness of not having a popular car, the new CX-9 style is very nice, I've only seen one black one so far and as soon as I saw it , I knew it was a CX-9 because there's nothing like it out there right now. I've seen so many Lexus RX350 that I find it boring now and not unique at all.

All that matters is that's it's reliable and it looks good. I wouldn't put too much in to the sales, I bet potential buyers are holding off till real world reliability comes out on the new turbo engine, once it's proven reliable you'll see the numbers go up. I mean look at the CX-7 turbo, that was a bonafide disaster; tons of turbo failures, hopefully this time around it'll be better.

I for one am holding out for 2017 CX-9's with more options, hoping there's more nappa leather colors like black or beige and seat base tilt and heated steering wheel.

Last edited:
... All that matters is that's it's reliable and it looks good. I wouldn't put too much in to the sales, I bet potential buyers are holding off till real world reliability comes out on the new turbo engine, once it's proven reliable you'll see the numbers go up. I mean look at the CX-7 turbo, that was a bonafide disaster; tons of turbo failures, hopefully this time around it'll be better.

I for one am holding out for 2017 CX-9's with more options, hoping there's more nappa leather colors like black or beige and seat base tilt and heated steering wheel.
About the history of poor reliability on Mazda, I forgot to mention the turbo CX-7 which Mazda eventually had to kill the line partially due to the reliability issues.

You seem to agree that the perception of poor reliability on Mazda is still there, which causes the potential mid-sized CUV buyers have a second thought getting a redesigned CX-9. You also seem to agree that the lack of some common amenities offered by competitors on new CX-9, especially taking away features existed in the previous gen, is also hurting the sales too!

Waiting for those missing features or more interior colors you mentioned for Mazda CX-9 would be a pipe dream IMHO. For one Mazda is small and it costs too much for them to change or add something. Secondly, based on past history Mazda North American Operations have an attitude of penny wise, pound foolish towards US customers. For example, there're only two selections of interior color whereas everybody else offers at least three. Memory seat for CX-5 is offered all over the world but the US. Even Canadians are getting it this year, kind of like heated steering wheel on new CX-9!

I picked up my new CX9 Signature on Friday. I'm selling my Highlander after it served me well for 11 years. I looked at cars off and on for 3 years and then I discovered the 2016 CX9. Wow, I loved the way it drove and the build quality and technology is superb. In my search, I covered all the usual suspects: Highlander, Pilot, Audi, BMW and even the new Jaguar F-Pace. For the money, the CX9 has it over the others by far in my opinion. Since it is a totally new car with lots of stuff in it, I purchased the extended warranty from Mazda. It adds 4 years to the basic 3 years and goes to 100,000 instead of 36,000. I felt the $1800 cost was a good investment in case there are problems down the road.

It really is simple Marketing 101. I was reading that Kia launched the 2016 Sorento in Jan or Feb of 2015 for this very reason. They came out and said that people simply desire the latest and that includes model year designation. It was an easy decision for them to call it a 2016 and sales have been huge for them. It may be superficial, but that's reality.

January/February is a very different time in the sales cycle than May/June. Mazda was brushing up against MY sales for other makes. Again, with their pricing, that doesn't work well for them--a top of the line Signature beats top of the line Hondas and Toyotas by $1000s; but if those other car companies are giving closeout incentives to bring the prices closer, some customers are going to go elsewhere--and both cars would be '16s anyway, so no depreciation hit down the road for choosing a late '16 over a '17.

As for Mazda's sales being "huge", just because they are outpacing year-over-year sales, while comparing a car that was out for 9 years--I don't think that really proves anything. Let's see where they stand when things stabilize, and you can really compare apples to apples.

My opinion on this are people wants the latest year models as advance as possible and wants the latest tech on the market. A lot of these car companies releases their 2016s as early as mid last year or right at the beginning of 2016. That's where the CX-9s fell short IMO. If they had release this like when they release the 2016 CX-5s, it would have made a difference but they release it late. People who had already bought a brand new car just can't switch out easily just because they love the new CX-9s. They're pretty much stuck with what they have and moved on.

while it's a bit shocking for CX-9 sales numbers, but at the end of the day, it only matters if you like and enjoy your car,

I for one would prefer to have the uniqueness of not having a popular car, the new CX-9 style is very nice, I've only seen one black one so far and as soon as I saw it , I knew it was a CX-9 because there's nothing like it out there right now. I've seen so many Lexus RX350 that I find it boring now and not unique at all.

All that matters is that's it's reliable and it looks good. I wouldn't put too much in to the sales, I bet potential buyers are holding off till real world reliability comes out on the new turbo engine, once it's proven reliable you'll see the numbers go up. I mean look at the CX-7 turbo, that was a bonafide disaster; tons of turbo failures, hopefully this time around it'll be better.

Couldn't agree less to your initial statements, I really like the cx9 and on the edge of making a decision purely based on how I felt driving it....however my mind is saying "be financially prudent" :)

This is a good example of a great product design but a bad marketing decision ...a bunch of good reviews and attesting videos won't suffice if you cannot tune to customer perception or customer buying patterns. I am hoping someone in Mazda reads into this and starts an incentive program soon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Couldn't agree less to your initial statements, I really like the cx9 and on the edge of making a decision purely based on how I felt driving it....however my mind is saying "be financially prudent" :)

This is a good example of a great product design but a bad marketing decision ...a bunch of good reviews and attesting videos won't suffice if you cannot tune to customer perception or customer buying patterns. I am hoping someone in Mazda reads into this and starts an incentive program soon

I was able to negotiate a decent discount on the CX9 I just bought and I will get more for the car I'm selling than if I wait for the 2017 CX9 next year. I reasoned that if I waited for 2017 I'm sure there will be a price increase and no discounts for a few months. That coupled with more money I'll get for the car I'm replacing balanced out with the depreciation dollars. But more importantly for me is the beautiful CX9 is in my garage now!

Based on sales figures from Good Car Bad Car, this is also shocking to me:

Year
Mazda CX-9
U.S. Sales Yearly
in August

This means August sales this year with brand-new 2nd-gen CX-9 is the second worst August since 2010, the first year monthly sales data are available although CX-9 1st-gen was in the US market started with 2007 MY. With new design and all the good reviews, it only out-sold 110 units over the worst August last year with 8-year-old out-going model! Like I said, Mazda CX-9 is not in the situation that supply can't meet demand. I can see there're plenty of new CX-9's at my dealership. I don't think Mazda can "compete" easily with those big auto makers in volume, but if you can't beat your own previous-gen model in sales, I think you have a serious problem.

In the end of the day, the american public does not want a turbo-charged 4 banger in an SUV. They are trying to compete with Volvo but not sure if they can do it.

We just picked up our new '16 CX-9 on Friday as well, Soul Red GT AWD. What a beautiful car. Already have had strangers complementing it and asking about it. Took it on a short highway trip yesterday and averaged 26.5 mpg.

My only beef so far is the Nav system, it tried sending us on a complex, dirt-road filled route to our destination rather than the simple route that I had already planned on taking. I'll have to play with the settings.

While car shopping we looked at the new 2017 Acadia, MDX, Pilot, and Highlander.

Acadia was more expensive and did not have the premium look and feel to it (SLT2).

MDX was nice but was much more money, and I disliked the 9-speed automatic. Seemed very jerky.

Pilot had some very cheap parts in the interior, and (IMHO) the quality simply isn't there. And I am a long-time Honda fan. There was also quite a few minor flaws (glove box flopped open undamped, fuel door was misaligned), and also had the same 9-speed auto jerkiness of the Acura. It also was more expensive.

Highlander Limited drove nice, but not sophisticated at all. Seems nice until you compare it to the CX-9.

If Mazda can improve anything, it'd be to either make the lower trim levels a little nicer trimmed (seems plain for the money) or lower the price a little. We initially were considering the Touring with Tech package but 18's seemed too small, and the chrome trim/aluminum trim outside/inside really class things up on the GT, for relatively not much more money.

Long time owner of 2008 CX-9 GT. Happy until 123K miles and the transfer case broke and was told likely needed new tranny. All in would be $8K to fix. So what do I do? Go buy another 2016 GT. I really don't like the color of the "upgraded" leather in the signature and I don't need my grill to light up for another $2K. IT was the CX-9 or 2015 Audi Q5. Taking a 2nd chance on Mazda with this one but going to dump the wife's CX-7 shortly.

Mazda dealers will have no choice but to bring more incentives in the coming months. These '16's are still relatively fresh on lots as a brand new model. There's no way any brand is going to slash prices on a brand new release when the next model year hasn't arrived yet and perhaps still months away. My guess is that the '17's won't come any earlier than December. So regardless of where the competitors stand (they are at model year end), Mazda's odd delay of this new model put them in this position where it makes no sense to be letting these go with little profit margin right out of the gate. If you want a sweet deal, you have to settle for left over inventory when the '17's arrive and buy whatever they have left (no color or trim choices).

If Mazda can improve anything, it'd be to either make the lower trim levels a little nicer trimmed (seems plain for the money) or lower the price a little. We initially were considering the Touring with Tech package but 18's seemed too small, and the chrome trim/aluminum trim outside/inside really class things up on the GT, for relatively not much more money.

Keep in mind that all the base models on the competitors (also around the $32K range) are all plainer than the base CX-9. Many reviewers have pointed out how nice of a value the base CX-9 is vs competitors. The Sport actually has a number of standard features not standard in others. I love contrasting colors in interior which even the base CX-9 has, others are just a sea of cheap grey plastics.

Long time owner of 2008 CX-9 GT. Happy until 123K miles and the transfer case broke and was told likely needed new tranny. All in would be $8K to fix. So what do I do? Go buy another 2016 GT. I really don't like the color of the "upgraded" leather in the signature and I don't need my grill to light up for another $2K. IT was the CX-9 or 2015 Audi Q5. Taking a 2nd chance on Mazda with this one but going to dump the wife's CX-7 shortly.

if you don't mind me asking, what did you do with the 2008 CX-9 GT, $8K is the highest quote I've seen so far to fix the PTU they must have included a new tranny for that much money, I don't think it's worth it to fix it, did you trade it in for the new CX-9.

it's been pretty quiet on the infotainment reboot issue on the 2016's , could it have been a hot weather issue ? now that the weather has cooled down .....

I read somewhere on the internet that someone's CX-9 would keep rebooting after sitting in the sun +90F , then he bought a custom fit windshield shade and tinted his windows and the reboots went away.......

and also now that summer is over we're hearing less of the reboots issue..... just a thought unless a 2016 chimes in and says otherwise.... and still see reboots in cooler temp weather

I don't experienced the infotainment issue any longer in weeks now. But is not related with weather because here in MX City the temp is about 15 - 25 C. No heat at all!.

But I reconfigured the InfoT to not auto download SMS and email messages. I will have a long trip on Thursday, returning on Sunday, let's see how behave.

I don't experienced the infotainment issue any longer in weeks now. But is not related with weather because here in MX City the temp is about 15 - 25 C. No heat at all!.

But I reconfigured the InfoT to not auto download SMS and email messages. I will have a long trip on Thursday, returning on Sunday, let's see how behave.

hmmm, so not weather related but internal memory capacity issue like the old CX-9, where if I had too many text massages, the text would stop working.

so for the new CX-9 getting rid of all those e-mails and messages and configuring not to auto download text messages so far seemed to do the trick ! on other Mazda forums (non-CX-9 but same infotainment system) I also remember if an e-mail had a video or some weird attachment like . GIF attachment the system would not understand it and reboot.

also, has your NAV been on during these successful non-rebooting weeks or did you eject the SD card ?

please keep us posted, this is encouraging.

Last edited:
hmmm, so not weather related but internal memory capacity issue like the old CX-9, where if I had too many text massages, the text would stop working.

so for the new CX-9 getting rid of all those e-mails and messages and configuring not to auto download text messages so far seemed to do the trick ! on other Mazda forums (non-CX-9 but same infotainment system) I also remember if an e-mail had a video or some weird attachment like . GIF attachment the system would not understand it and reboot.

also, has your NAV been on during these successful non-rebooting weeks or did you eject the SD card ?

please keep us posted, this is encouraging.

The temp is not the issue because when I had the reboot issue, I don't drive on heat weather at all. There is never hot in MX City and near cities.

So far so good, I don't removed the SD either. I reinstalled a USB 2.0 Memory yesterday with MP3 Music and so far so good.

My NAV has been on in the last 2 weeks.

The good test will be done on Thursday on my long trip (150 + 150 miles to unknown locations - GPS required, for sure!)

The temp is not the issue because when I had the reboot issue, I don't drive on heat weather at all. There is never hot in MX City and near cities.

So far so good, I don't removed the SD either. I reinstalled a USB 2.0 Memory yesterday with MP3 Music and so far so good.

My NAV has been on in the last 2 weeks.

The good test will be done on Thursday on my long trip (150 + 150 miles to unknown locations - GPS required, for sure!)

maybe bring along a standalone Garmin GPS as back up ?

or at least a window mount for your smartphone (Google Maps) just in case ?

Mazda dealers will have no choice but to bring more incentives in the coming months. These '16's are still relatively fresh on lots as a brand new model. There's no way any brand is going to slash prices on a brand new release when the next model year hasn't arrived yet and perhaps still months away. My guess is that the '17's won't come any earlier than December. So regardless of where the competitors stand (they are at model year end), Mazda's odd delay of this new model put them in this position where it makes no sense to be letting these go with little profit margin right out of the gate. If you want a sweet deal, you have to settle for left over inventory when the '17's arrive and buy whatever they have left (no color or trim choices).

One of the dealers said due to quarter close targets they are going aggressive on pricing ...said they could go well below the invoice pricing ( I get an invoice pricing option). This might be a bait and switch tactic...however willing to go find out

How much do you folks think is a favourable ask on a Signature trim ( think the invoice price is ~42K )

Back