2016 CX9 Owners Thread

Adaptive Cruise Control I've always wondered about this... does it brake frequently on the highway like a @$$hole? I tested it today in medium highway traffic and it's nice...but I don't want to be THAT guy who's brake lights are going off every several seconds because the system has a low tolerance for variance in distance from the vehicle in front. I have to keep it on the closest gap, otherwise I'm going to get other drivers constantly cutting in front (and they still do even at that setting).

This is my second Mazda with adaptive cruise.
It DOES brake a bit more frequently than I would if cruise isn't engaged, but not so much to be THAT @$$.
I also have mine set to the shortest distance and like that it keeps me at a safe distance from the variable speed cruiser in front until I can get around them.
And yes, I still have the occasional idiot that squeezes into the small gap. (gah)

i wouldn't use the adaptive cruise control unless i was on a long boring highway will lots of space between cars.

This is my second Mazda with adaptive cruise.
It DOES brake a bit more frequently than I would if cruise isn't engaged, but not so much to be THAT @$$.
I also have mine set to the shortest distance and like that it keeps me at a safe distance from the variable speed cruiser in front until I can get around them.
And yes, I still have the occasional idiot that squeezes into the small gap. (gah)

Does this gives you a hard brake or just enough to slow you down? I haven't tried using my ACC yet.

Infotainment System

This has become my biggest nightmare with this car. I've had it for like a month and lately it's been crashing a lot. In there morning on my way to work, I start up the car, I see the screen comes in and a few seconds later, I assume engine my phone connects, the screen goes blank and I can't bring it back unless I turn off and on the car again. There's no reboot, nothing that can be done. It's very very annoying. Reading thru the forums I see this problem has been around since at least 2013 and Mazda hasn't fixed it yet. Had I known about this, I wouldn't had purchased this car. I'm taking it to the dealer next week, they're just going to reinstall the existing software version it's, "sometimes it works" they said. Even admitted my problem happens with Mazda a lot unfortunately.
Any similar experiences?
2016 CX-9 GT

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Infotainment System

This has become my biggest nightmare with this car. I've had it for like a month and lately it's been crashing a lot. In there morning on my way to work, I start up the car, I see the screen comes in and a few seconds later, I assume engine my phone connects, the screen goes blank and I can't bring it back unless I turn off and on the car again. There's no reboot, nothing that can be done. It's very very annoying. Reading thru the forums I see this problem has been around since at least 2013 and Mazda hasn't fixed it yet. Had I known about this, I wouldn't had purchased this car. I'm taking it to the dealer next week, they're just going to reinstall the existing software version it's, "sometimes it works" they said. Even admitted my problem happens with Mazda a lot unfortunately.
Any similar experiences?
2016 CX-9 GT

That's even worst than what I had experienced. They need to have a fix on this or a recall perhaps. It can be a deal breaker for some. Even thank God that mine is working fine, I always have that feeling that it'll start acting up again.

That's even worst than what I had experienced. They need to have a fix on this or a recall perhaps. It can be a deal breaker for some. Even thank God that mine is working fine, I always have that feeling that it'll start acting up again.
Do you have a 2016 CX-9 as well? I have very little faith it'll get fixed. As I mentioned, I've seen this issue documented since around 2013.
It seems like the underpowered infotainment system it's trying to do too much at startup and it crashes. Bluetooth connection and usb connection seen to impact it most (so media playing). It's like starting up an old PC with 2gb of ram trying to run antivirus, download windows updates and launching internet explorer all at once. It's going to crash. They should as some sort of delay for connections to media devices or just beef up the hardware more. It's very very disappointing.

GPS System

Another thing that I'm not too happy about its the GPS system. It didn't have live traffic updates and it drives me right into freeway bad traffic a lot, despite of being several alternate routes available. Historical traffic data is worthless. It doesn't predict accidents.

Anyone else's side view mirrors vibrate a lot at highway speeds with even a little wind? I mean I can still see but it vibrates so much it isn't exactly clear or pleasant to look at. Maybe you haven't noticed yet, but please do look the next time you are on the highway.

Anyone else's side view mirrors vibrate a lot at highway speeds with even a little wind? I mean I can still see but it vibrates so much it isn't exactly clear or pleasant to look at. Maybe you haven't noticed yet, but please do look the next time you are on the highway.
I can't say mine do. I drive on the freeway everyday and usually there's some wind (which I can hear if my stereo is off - so noise/wind isolation is somewhat poor) - I haven't noticed the mirrors vibrate to the point it's distracting or noticeable.

Does the stick shift button get a little stuck for you guys sometimes?especially when putting in reverse, seems like it gets stuck and I have to wiggle or press it again to release it.

Does this gives you a hard brake or just enough to slow you down? I haven't tried using my ACC yet.
A gentle "slow down" brake unless it's closing the distance too fast ... then a harder brake as appropriate.
I'm very satisfied with the system. All future new car purchases will have this or a similar technology unless it's unavailable on any trim level.

A gentle "slow down" brake unless it's closing the distance too fast ... then a harder brake as appropriate.
I'm very satisfied with the system. All future new car purchases will have this or a similar technology unless it's unavailable on any trim level.

Nice feature that I need to activate. But probably probably putting it on the shortest setting that I could have. Thanks.

I have tested this when traffic came to a complete stop. It will beep (collision warning beep which is hardly startling), and BRAKE! will light up on the HUD. It will do this when it approaches 40km/hr or so because it's only rated to work down to 30km/hr. I'm not sure if it would come to a complete stop on its own and I'm not willing to test that LOL.

I have tested this when traffic came to a complete stop. It will beep (collision warning beep which is hardly startling), and BRAKE! will light up on the HUD. It will do this when it approaches 40km/hr or so because it's only rated to work down to 30km/hr. I'm not sure if it would come to a complete stop on its own and I'm not willing to test that LOL.

At what setting did you place it on?

I noticed front parking sensors are listed in the options of the Australian CX-9 brochure. Wish that would have been available at release here in North America.

I noticed front parking sensors are listed in the options of the Australian CX-9 brochure.
I too would like this feature. Since it is available in Australia, I wonder if that means that the US cars are pre-configured with the option but it is not activated? Or possibly sensors could be added at a dealership and then connected to whatever wiring harness that the Aussies have?

I too would like this feature. Since it is available in Australia, I wonder if that means that the US cars are pre-configured with the option but it is not activated? Or possibly sensors could be added at a dealership and then connected to whatever wiring harness that the Aussies have?

Wondering the same and that would be a nice add on feature. We've got a couple of sensors already in the front inside the Mazda emblem.

Take back my comment about heated steering wheel. I'm an idiot and didn't notice the heated steering wheel button next to the heated seats (lol2)

There are no front parking sensors available in the us. Source: I asked Mazda directly. Source 2: one of the options they asked about in their survey.
If it becomes available at a later date, it can probably be added, But holes will have to be drilled into the bumper and matched with the appropriate colors.

Latest posts

Back