2016 CX9 Owners Thread

I don't think this is firmware but software. So there is no risk of bricking it. From what I've read briefly the system runs a version of Linux. And most Mazda Connect systems have Wifi built in, they are just not enabled (or at least a visible AP, again I don't have my CX-9 until tomorrow). So it's a matter of enabling it, SSHing in and making some changes, seems pretty straight forward!

keeps us posted

I don't think this is firmware but software. So there is no risk of bricking it. From what I've read briefly the system runs a version of Linux. And most Mazda Connect systems have Wifi built in, they are just not enabled (or at least a visible AP, again I don't have my CX-9 until tomorrow). So it's a matter of enabling it, SSHing in and making some changes, seems pretty straight forward!

It would be nice to see it done and working. Keep us posted.

Found this video. Android auto installed on Mazda 3, CX3 and CX5. I'm sure this can be done on our new CX9 as well.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=y77xS68pXds

Beware. I'm member of another Mazda Forum in MX and I see about 3 users with issues with the Mazda infotainment system after some hacking. They have the Mazda logo and black screen, nothing else. I will not hack my system, I would prefer to wait if Mazda launch an update in the next months (I hope so).

Beware. I'm member of another Mazda Forum in MX and I see about 3 users with issues with the Mazda infotainment system after some hacking. They have the Mazda logo and black screen, nothing else. I will not hack my system, I would prefer to wait if Mazda launch an update in the next months (I hope so).

And It'll definitely void any specific warranties once it's hacked. Just like jailbreaking a phone. It's not worth the huge risks at the end.

And It'll definitely void any specific warranties once it's hacked. Just like jailbreaking a phone. It's not worth the huge risks at the end.

Those boot loops that have occurred are probably due to those automated tools and not a proper installation. The units are also recoverable from boot loops (difficult but possible) as is the system is able to be restored to its factory state. So not a big issue in my opinion. I will be using a USB to Ethernet adapter (ordered on Amazon) with a crossover cable to connect first and make sure the directories are similar for those "tweaks", it is the safer option since no one has attempted it yet it seems.

Update: If you're thinking about it, do not use the All in One Tweak that's out there, it is not made for our operating systems: 58.00.250 and it will cause issues as reported by other users on the Mazda3 forums.

Last edited:
Hey yall, am I the only one having major issues with comfort of the drivers seat? I am 5'10, and I have tried pillows, etc. the seat curves my back in a weird C shape. It seems to lose back support in the upper back and neck is pushed too far forward. Maybe it's just me?

I'm deciding between the Mazda CX-9 and the Toyota Highlander and have the same concern. I test drove both vehicles and it seemed that the drivers seat of the Highlander was more comfortable. However, it could be because I currently drive an Avalon, which has a similar driver seats as the Highlander, so I'm more used to it. It could also be because I didn't adjust the seat of the CX-9 when test driving (it was very low). I would like to hear from the owners, especially the ones who test drove both.
My observations about the CX-9 vs. the Highlander that are important to me:
-Better interior.
-Better/more usable third row.
-Driving like a car vs driving like an SUV (for the Highlander).
-Seem less room (narrower) in the first row.
-Less comfortable drivers seat.
-Less expensive.
-Better gas mileage.

Should I be concerned it being the first year model? How about reliability and cost of ownership relative to Toyota/Honda? This would be my first Mazda.

I'm deciding between the Mazda CX-9 and the Toyota Highlander and have the same concern. I test drove both vehicles and it seemed that the drivers seat of the Highlander was more comfortable. However, it could be because I currently drive an Avalon, which has a similar driver seats as the Highlander, so I'm more used to it. It could also be because I didn't adjust the seat of the CX-9 when test driving (it was very low). I would like to hear from the owners, especially the ones who test drove both.
My observations about the CX-9 vs. the Highlander that are important to me:
-Better interior.
-Better/more usable third row.
-Driving like a car vs driving like an SUV (for the Highlander).
-Seem less room (narrower) in the first row.
-Less comfortable drivers seat.
-Less expensive.
-Better gas mileage.

Should I be concerned it being the first year model? How about reliability and cost of ownership relative to Toyota/Honda? This would be my first Mazda.

-Better interior. I agree Mazda interior is nicer
-Better/more usable third row. i don't think either are that usable - both can be used with kids for short trips, that's about it.
-Driving like a car vs driving like an SUV (for the Highlander). This is where Mazda shines for sure.
-Seem less room (narrower) in the first row. i think you're right so you have to see if you want that narrow "cockpit" feel or the "roomy" feel. this is personal preference.
-Less comfortable drivers seat. i think if you want cushy/smushy, Highlander is better. if you want a more supported feel, Mazda may be better. but the Mazda has only 6-way directional adjustment plus lumbar support adjustment. people have complained about this. go sit in a CX-9 and adjust it to your liking. if you can't find a comfortable position, CX-9 is probably not for you.
-Less expensive.
-Better gas mileage. Real-world reports have been lower than EPA numbers on CX-9 so this should not be the deciding factor for you in the end. please note that 2017 Highlander coming out has a new engine (same as in Lexus RX) so you may want to wait for that one.

-Better interior. I agree Mazda interior is nicer
-Better/more usable third row. i don't think either are that usable - both can be used with kids for short trips, that's about it.
-Driving like a car vs driving like an SUV (for the Highlander). This is where Mazda shines for sure.
-Seem less room (narrower) in the first row. i think you're right so you have to see if you want that narrow "cockpit" feel or the "roomy" feel. this is personal preference.
-Less comfortable drivers seat. i think if you want cushy/smushy, Highlander is better. if you want a more supported feel, Mazda may be better. but the Mazda has only 6-way directional adjustment plus lumbar support adjustment. people have complained about this. go sit in a CX-9 and adjust it to your liking. if you can't find a comfortable position, CX-9 is probably not for you.
-Less expensive.
-Better gas mileage. Real-world reports have been lower than EPA numbers on CX-9 so this should not be the deciding factor for you in the end. please note that 2017 Highlander coming out has a new engine (same as in Lexus RX) so you may want to wait for that one.

Yeah my MPG is pretty bad so far in all city driving - 15mpg on the first tank. I'm driving from MD to Cape Cod next week so I am curious what I will see on the highway. I personally think the highlander sucks inside and out - seats are comfortable and the front cabin is roomier but all and all it's pretty meh plus yeah a new motor for 2017 so if you want a highlander I would wait.

Yeah my MPG is pretty bad so far in all city driving - 15mpg on the first tank. I'm driving from MD to Cape Cod next week so I am curious what I will see on the highway. I personally think the highlander sucks inside and out - seats are comfortable and the front cabin is roomier but all and all it's pretty meh plus yeah a new motor for 2017 so if you want a highlander I would wait.

The CX9 is more fun to drive and have better performance. The interior are nicer (quality similar to premium SUV like MDX and QX60). The Turbo engine is high-end with the Variable Geometry (Dynamic Pressure Turbo) design and the Skyactiv is just amazing in the transmision, chassis, etc. In my personal opinion, CX9 is better. 3rd row space in both are for kids only. If you need room, go for Honda Pilot.

2016 infotainment unit keeps re-booting while driving ??

can any 2016 owners please confirm this ?

http://www.freep.com/story/money/ca.../03/mazda-cx-9-crossover-suv-review/87926566/

The CX-9’s voice recognition works well, but the infotainment system crashed repeatedly during my weeklong test. Every time, the system shut itself off for no reason, then restarted. The glitch disrupted directions to several destinations and required reprogramming when it rebooted. That’s a serious problem in a system you depend on for real-time directions, potentially to emergency destinations like a hospital or police station.

Last edited:
The CX9 is more fun to drive and have better performance. The interior are nicer (quality similar to premium SUV like MDX and QX60). The Turbo engine is high-end with the Variable Geometry (Dynamic Pressure Turbo) design and the Skyactiv is just amazing in the transmision, chassis, etc. In my personal opinion, CX9 is better. 3rd row space in both are for kids only. If you need room, go for Honda Pilot.
Honda Pilot was in my shopping list for its size, look and power. However, the interior felt very cheap to me. I couldn't stand the armrest and didn't like the infotainment system either. I also heard quality issues with the first year model.
So unfortunately, it's very unlike that I'm going to go with it even though I was very looking forward to it.

http://www.freep.com/story/money/ca.../03/mazda-cx-9-crossover-suv-review/87926566/

The CX-9’s voice recognition works well, but the infotainment system crashed repeatedly during my weeklong test. Every time, the system shut itself off for no reason, then restarted. The glitch disrupted directions to several destinations and required reprogramming when it rebooted. That’s a serious problem in a system you depend on for real-time directions, potentially to emergency destinations like a hospital or police station.

I recall reading this kept happening to an owner of a brand new 2016, head unit kept rebooting during long drives, might even be posted in this same thread, not sure.

This HAS happened to me rarely in my 2016 CX-5 (which is pretty much the same infotainment), but honestly it hasn't happened for a few months now. our CX-9 has not had this issue (although it may have happened like once or twice since we've gotten it....i can't remember).

I recall reading this kept happening to an owner of a brand new 2016, head unit kept rebooting during long drives, might even be posted in this same thread, not sure.

I was the one who posted about the reboots and I still am getting them intermittently. Went to the dealer and they believe it might be firmware but the CX9 already has the latest firmware. I believe that the rebooting might be due to the fact that I have the iPhone on bluetooth and also an iPod plugged in to the USB. Doesn't seem to happen nearly as much when I only am using the bluetooth. It is a nuisance but I do not believe it is hardware related.

I would not let that sway you from the car. I really like the car and find the drivability to be the killer feature. It drives like an agile car with plenty of pep and response. I am very pleased with it and this is my first Mazda. I looked at everything in this class and the bang for the buck is really impressive.

I was the one who posted about the reboots and I still am getting them intermittently. Went to the dealer and they believe it might be firmware but the CX9 already has the latest firmware. I believe that the rebooting might be due to the fact that I have the iPhone on bluetooth and also an iPod plugged in to the USB. Doesn't seem to happen nearly as much when I only am using the bluetooth. It is a nuisance but I do not believe it is hardware related.

I would not let that sway you from the car. I really like the car and find the drivability to be the killer feature. It drives like an agile car with plenty of pep and response. I am very pleased with it and this is my first Mazda. I looked at everything in this class and the bang for the buck is really impressive.

The OS is programmed to reboot if it encounters an error, hoping that will fix it. Kind of silly but whatever.

I had a reboot while listening to aha over bluetooth with my phone plugged in. Not sure what caused it.

The OS is programmed to reboot if it encounters an error, hoping that will fix it. Kind of silly but whatever.

I had a reboot while listening to aha over bluetooth with my phone plugged in. Not sure what caused it.

It did happen to me last week. It rebooted at least 3 times everytime I use the nav to drive me to a particular destination. But it went fine the following day. Tested it and entered random destinations and never did it occur again. The good news was it didn't affect the rest of the apps and functions though. Im very puzzled as to what caused the rebooting. I hope the OS fixed the problem by itself and will not happen again.

Adaptive Cruise Control I've always wondered about this... does it brake frequently on the highway like a @$$hole? I tested it today in medium highway traffic and it's nice...but I don't want to be THAT guy who's brake lights are going off every several seconds because the system has a low tolerance for variance in distance from the vehicle in front. I have to keep it on the closest gap, otherwise I'm going to get other drivers constantly cutting in front (and they still do even at that setting).

Back