2003.5 Mazdaspeed Protege Upgrades!

Big reason I say that is cause of rust and corrosion. The salt they put down take a nice tole on your car. Im originally from Pittsburgh and basically every bolt under the car is seized. I need drill it out and re tap it or use a bolt and nut.

If only i had a beater for the winter!

Nice ride man , keep it stock , you have a rare car with only 26k on it .. Congrats .. Post some pics of what you are upgrading , It'll be nice to see your progress !!

Nice ride man , keep it stock , you have a rare car with only 26k on it .. Congrats .. Post some pics of what you are upgrading , It'll be nice to see your progress !!

Thanks man!, I want to learn everything about this car! I know im going to have it for a long time! That being said...

Is it normal for the shifter to be a little wobbly when in gear or even neutral?

Thanks man!, I want to learn everything about this car! I know im going to have it for a long time! That being said...

Is it normal for the shifter to be a little wobbly when in gear or even neutral?

how wobbly are you talking? wobbly can be the engine mount bushings or the shifter bushings. But again, how wobbly lol

Yep, biggest pain in the balls to do. i havent done mine yet, ive had my new rear MM sitting for about 2 years just stalling to do it. but should be done in afew weeks.

I dont have a car jack either atm. I only have ramps right now, so I have to invest in a jack first.

from what ive read, guys have removed their intake manifold entirely or just the throttle body in order to have better access to the rear MM. problem is that the wiring harness is held in place against the firewall right above the rear MM. so you have to remove the wiring harness BUT theres a 10mm bolt that holds it in place that you have virtually no clearance in order to get a tool on it properly without removing the TB or IM. again its from waht ive read. and ive given it a shot once or twice before trying to do mine. and just got frustrated and said to hell with it, ill do it when i go forged.

from what ive read, guys have removed their intake manifold entirely or just the throttle body in order to have better access to the rear MM. problem is that the wiring harness is held in place against the firewall right above the rear MM. so you have to remove the wiring harness BUT theres a 10mm bolt that holds it in place that you have virtually no clearance in order to get a tool on it properly without removing the TB or IM. again its from waht ive read. and ive given it a shot once or twice before trying to do mine. and just got frustrated and said to hell with it, ill do it when i go forged.

Yeah idk if i feel comfortable with doing that yet.

I did mine by taking the intake mani and tb off. made it a million times easier. Not hard to do really. Couple bolts holding a bracket for the IM and some vac hoses and more bolts. Not scary but definitely time consuming.

I did mine by taking the intake mani and tb off. made it a million times easier. Not hard to do really. Couple bolts holding a bracket for the IM and some vac hoses and more bolts. Not scary but definitely time consuming.

Would you know of any guides that can assist me with just learning the procedure. I learn much easier with pictures lol. Sorry thats just me.

Would you know of any guides that can assist me with just learning the procedure. I learn much easier with pictures lol. Sorry thats just me.

You'll just have to search. I'm not sure where all the How to's and such are. The forum is littered with info and pics on it.

Swivel socket is ur friend in a rear motor mount replacement I never hada take the intake out

I will look into that tool then!

**UPDATE** Just installed the exhaust hangers today! It was a success. older ones were pretty worn. BTW while replace the front hangers, a small metal cover the shape of the exhaust was loose and seemed to pop right off. It seemed like it was near the catalytic converter. Any idea what it is? There was no way it clicked or hooked on into place so for the time being i put the piece in my trunk.

I found replacing the rear mount was much easier with two people. we used a universal joint, a 12" extension, a 12" wobble extension, and a 1/2 socket wrench with a 3' breaker bar too get it loose. one person held the socket in place from under the car while the other cranked on it. Also had to Jack the motor up just a to get the mount with the inserts back in place as the inserts made it just wide enough to not not fit back through the opening we had slid it out.

This job was the biggest pain in the butt I've ever done on my Mazda and after we got the old mount out we realized it was shredded and had to put it all back together since I didn't have a replacement. So I did this job twice. I was able to get it done with only removing the plastic intake piping, I did not remove the manifold.

I found replacing the rear mount was much easier with two people. we used a universal joint, a 12" extension, a 12" wobble extension, and a 1/2 socket wrench with a 3' breaker bar too get it loose. one person held the socket in place from under the car while the other cranked on it. Also had to Jack the motor up just a to get the mount with the inserts back in place as the inserts made it just wide enough to not not fit back through the opening we had slid it out.

This job was the biggest pain in the butt I've ever done on my Mazda and after we got the old mount out we realized it was shredded and had to put it all back together since I didn't have a replacement. So I did this job twice. I was able to get it done with only removing the plastic intake piping, I did not remove the manifold.

That actually helps me out a lot for doing this job in the near future. I have a buddy that could possibly help me out with this. Thanks again!

Back