Racing beat springs ordered

6f7624h30ok5003vfx.jpg

z7ewubolpyfoecyg8bdd.jpg

kay8wdmf42wiqhnapt05.jpg

Last edited:
Those springs look exactly how I hoped they would. I had a dumped car in the past. I enjoyed the benefits of having a tighter suspension, but did not like the inconvenience of a drop. IMO, you can barely tell the springs have been changed, and I think that's how I like it.

Can you still park over parking blocks, etc? How much ground clearance are you left with?

Also, I imagine the car must feel great now during cornering!

That is a nice subtle drop. I had a set of H&R springs on my previous car and the results we about the same.

dont get me wrong i like the drop its jsut that im suprised with the "wheel gap" i was really hope that would close a lil bit more

Yeah, that's still a pretty huge wheel gap just from a purely aesthetic point of view. Looks to be a great functional upgrade though which is nice. I'm still a bit torn whether to drop my car or not. I kind of like not having to worry about scraping over driveways and speed bumps for a change.

That dark grey color looks pretty sweet, I wish they offered that here.

They will settle a bit, not much of a drop but probably perfect for my girlfriends 2. She has a fondness for dirt roads. Looks like a great choice for a daily driven car that still needs to make it through snow and down city roads.

yo everyone! I am out of town right now. got to take it thru some windy corners and it was awesome. Sharper turn in, and it is steady. The springs have already started to settle so it looks a bit better than the pics. You can definitely tell the car is lowered now. I recommend these springs for anyone who wants a mild drop and doesn't want to worry about bottoming out (didn't see a speed bump already and it didn't scrape) and doesn't want an uncomfortable ride ( only mildly stiffer than stock). Thanks for the comment on the color guys, i will take some new shots of it at night it looks pretty sweet.

these springs wont close to much of the gap....Racing Beat springs were never designed for any car to do that...its just a stiffer route with a slight drop. Racing beat wanted to be able to design springs that would not kill your factory struts wicked fast.

you can read right on their site that they never wanted their springs to provide a big drop. I almost bought them for my RX8 years back but i was turned away after seeing another locals and i hated the gap still.

but they are great for those of you who want something stiffer without lowering the car..

RSun it looks good, plus i love that color on the 2!

Ok, everybody. Got my RB Springs and Sways on this Friday and got a chance to "daily drive" them this weekend. So far: nice! The springs are almost as comfortable as the OEM, just a bit stiffer... I drove my car a little over 200 miles this weekend (including down a washboard dirt road) and it was fine! (well, washboard roads are never great to ride down) No complaints from the wife like we used to have in my old Civic Si w/ HFP suspension. VERY livable. And while I know some people want a "slammed" look or even a smaller wheel gap, I am very happy with the height for a daily driver.

As far as the sways go, they seem to be doing well. I havent really been able to push the car much and I have had my wife in the car, but it corners flatter for sure. I will report back later once I get some time to actually try them out.

Install: Install was, ok. The Springs were pretty much straightforward; only tough part was getting the top nut off of the shock - would be much easier with air tools. The Rear springs were a piece of cake, took me less than 10 minutes to do. Rear sway was easy too, just bolt on and go.
The front sway bar was a bit of a tricky beast. Getting leverage to the bushing bolts was not fun and trying to get the old sway out took a bit of maneuvering. The key is to lower the subframe enough to slide the drivers side of the bar out (and the new one in) between the body and subframe. Once it was in place, bolting it in was easy.

Anyway, pics!

Jacked up car, removed wheel
IMG_0111.jpg

Original Springs on shock
IMG_0114.jpg

Racing Beat Springs on Shock
IMG_0085.jpg

Original Sway Bar [Pass Side]
IMG_0118.jpg

OEM vs. Racing Beat Front Sway Bar
IMG_0121.jpg

IMG_0122.jpg

New RB Sway Bar installed [drivers side]
IMG_0125.jpg

New Springs and Sways In
IMG_0128.jpg

Racing Beat Rear Springs (and rear bar)
IMG_0131.jpg

RB Rear Bar
IMG_0132.jpg

IMG_0133.jpg

OEM Springs
IMG_4857.jpg

RB Springs (w/ 2 days settling)
IMG_0160.jpg

Last edited:
Hey Richard,

Is the original spring and shock hard to take off? I've been looking for information and can't seem to find anything specific to the 2, just the mazda 3. Is the process similar?
Cheers,
Shawn

Hey Richard,

nice car. Thanks for the pics. I had a friend do the install for me so I'm glad you shared the info/pics on install

Is the original spring and shock hard to take off? I've been looking for information and can't seem to find anything specific to the 2, just the mazda 3. Is the process similar?

Well, I've never taken the suspension off of a Mazda3, but the 2 was definitely as easy as any other that I have done. The only "difficult" part is removing the top nut on the front shocks, which I used a socket and hex wrench to get off. But not really any more difficult than any other car. With air tools, this would have been much easier. Other than the top nut, it was: jack up car, remove wheel, 2 - 17 mm bolts, a 12mm bolt to undo the brake line from the shock, a 14mm(I think) to undo the sway bar linkage, 3 - 14mm bolts on top, and remove. The backs were about the easiest spring replacement I've done.

RSun said:
Hey Richard,

nice car. Thanks for the pics. I had a friend do the install for me so I'm glad you shared the info/pics on install

Thanks! (its dirty, tho). no problem! Thanks for sharing the post!

Last edited:
Cars look great! One more question, did you have to use a spring compressor at all?

Can't wait to get some springs on mine, just gathering the info.

Cheers,
Shawn

Cars look great! One more question, did you have to use a spring compressor at all?

Thanks! Yes, on the fronts. Once you take the strut off, you have to compress the springs before fully removing the upper nut. I borrowed the ones from Autozone for free with a $50 deposit.

IMG_0117.jpg

Nice pics and write-up. The springs look great installed. I'm anxious to hear how the 2 feels now when pushed hard.

richard what happend to the grey plastic thing on the stock? did u install it the RB springs? and how much of the bumper stop did u cut off?

Last edited:
richard what happend to the grey plastic thing on the stock? did u install it the RB springs? and how much of the bumper stop did u cut off?

The Grey Plastic thing is still on the stock springs. It is sorta-glued on. There is a rubber liner on the spring perch to keep it from rattling that I transferred over to the new springs. I did not remove any of the bumpstop. I have had no problems yet bottoming out my suspension with such a mild drop.

hmmmm i always thought u were suppose to cut the bumpstop since the car is lowered the travel length of the strut is shorter hence cutting the bumpstops

Last edited:
Back