I want to upgrade to FMIC, from stock. I'd like some advice/input

pomidor

Contributor
:
2003.5 mazdaspeed protege
I currently have the stock SMIC. I'd like to get a FMIC. What options do I have based on my needs?:

I want something that is less likely to soak up heat from engine bay, and has more cooling potential. Larger intercooler, and a front-mounted one, seems like the answer. However, I'd also like to have good air flow in the intercooler system. From a "sticky" I've read, I understand that FMICs can introduce extra turbo lag due to longer piping (when compared to the stock SMIC). Then there is the issue of intercoolers themselves that might have a crappy flow, or less than desired heat exchange properties.

Alright, so I'd like to have:

- front mounted one
- with short and no-restrictive piping
- intercooler has good heat exchange properties
- intercooler design being high-flow in itself

- fairly easy to install - would be a bonus

I probably can't have it all, but I'm hoping to find a compromise.

What's the end goal of this? More power, and with no (or with very little) additional lag.

My top budget amount? I don't know. lets say: $800. I mean, if I'm not the one to throw money away, or spend lots to gain little. So if I can get an intercooler for $500 that does 95% of one for $800, I'm getting the 500-dollar one. If I can spend less and get a good one, I'm in, but I don't want to end up getting something sub par, while saving a little, and then regretting it.

I have an Injen CAI currently installed, so the new FMIC has to work with/around that

Cork Sport IC looks interesting, but I know nothing about it or any other FMIC that's out there.

As you humans say, I'm all ears.

Last edited:
browse the for sale section, there is always FMIC setups going for pennies these days. As far as brand, I've heard good things about pretty much every kit made for our car, though I'm sure some have proven dyno gains that are higher than others.

your threads are always so specific, over-researched and over-thought (im detecting an engineer), yet they lack some of the most important things - like whats your long term hp goal?

kits will be easiest but most expensive ($450-$650 used - and hard to find, $1000 new). custom will be substantially cheaper and substantially more work ($300 total?)

and are you willing to modify your crash bar/impact system, knowing you *could* be dropped by your insurance for doing so? what about your bumper (trimming tabs or cutting a small slot in the bottom for the core)?

who would tell their insurance company the cut or put aftermarket parts on their car? not this guy. the only place i know that has a tuner based insurance company is in cali. and building your own fmic set up is the way to go. you dont need a big core and a 2 and 1/4 to 2and 1/2 piping is all you need and your bov attachment/flang. why try and scare the man? just give him the info he asked for no more no less.

correct - i had plenty of aftermarket parts on the car, and didnt tell my insurance because the worst that happens is they wont cover damage to it.

but, if you want to run a fmic setup where you remove or alter the crash bar, the consequences can be far worse.

he's new he will learn.and a custom crash beam will work just fine. thier is no need for cutting if you have a right size fmic. but then again common sence is not a common virtue now at days. just look @ some of the other trends.

Why are people keep saying insurance companies will drop your insurance for removing the crashbar *shakes head*

Show me proof already. I Known ALOT of people who got into crashes with Highly Mod'd cars and they never got bitched at. Hell my insurance company will cover any aftermarket part on my car....

I don't believe the insurance will necessarily drop you, but they probably won't cover anything unless you pay extra for the aftermarket part coverage.

dude, the crash bar is NHTSA regulated. just like air bags.
its a federal regulation - it is ILLEGAL to modify the crash bar. the insurance company returns your check and they wont cover your loss - or anyone elses. id HATE to see you fend off a wrongful death lawsuit since your insurance company returned your check.

do me a favor and call your insurance company to tell them you removed part of your crash protection system and tell me what they say. if its not a big deal, youll do it. otherwise, shut up. and that goes for all your other dick munchers who keep saying "DOODZ YOU WONT GET DROPPED" - want to prove it? call them and tell me im wrong.

To the OP, I would probably say you would be best off going the custom route unless you find someone selling a kit on the forum. Everything made by Corksport is great, so if you can get their FMIC at a good price I would say go for it. Plus I don't think it really requires any cutting to install. The HiBoost kit is also a good one (doesn't require any cutting as far as I know) but they're pretty hard to come by. Actually they're both pretty hard to come by..

The Turbolife is probably the best performance intercooler available but they are super hard to come by, require a decent amount of cutting and relocating to install, and eliminate the crash bar as previously stated. That's what I personally have and I love it, but if I was to do it all over again I would probably go the custom route and save $300.

Aside from those 3, the only other popular kit that comes to mind is the Altered Customs kits but you can pretty much make that yourself. It's pretty much a mass replicated custom kit, and I don't know if it's even sold anymore. The only one I know you can buy new for sure is the CorkSport.

I found one that I would approve of in the FS section but it does look like it requires cutting to route the pipes efficiently.
http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/show...-pricing-lots-still-available!&highlight=fmic

Here's the Altered Customs one
http://www.alteredcustoms.net/Mazdaspeed-Protege-c6/

And you already know where to find the CS one.. :)

The Kinetic was a great FMIC kit but this one listed above is a modified version for a clocked turbo.
Which you don't have.
I think to date the MAM FMIC is the best of both worlds for the person not willing to remove the crash bar (which I am not) The MAM kit can be found used every so often but can easily be duplicated with a DIY kit. If you search some of my old posts I posted a ton of pics of my MAM FMIC kit. Although Mine is a bit unique. It was originally designed for the MAM P5 sleeper kit which mounted the turbo Clocked. I modded the kit to work with my non clocked turbo, then re did it all once I clocked the turbo which allowed me to loose about 15 inches of piping off the hot pipe. I'll be redoing it again this spring using the Turbolife/Perrin hot pipe path. which is also pictured in that kenetic kit above. that should allow me another 7-10 inches of piping lost. I'm using a CXracing FMIC core which I have posted specs on in the past and fits perfectly under the crash bar. All in all no heat soak, an easy install, ZERO lag and a ton of money saved!!!

kinetic motorsports and corksport both make FMICs that are almost direct bolt on, and both will run you close to a cool grand. the turbolife/perrin is a good kit but you know where i stand on removing the crash bar, and its getting harder and harder to come by.
hiboost and MAM made the best kits, but theyre both bankrupt, so good luck finding one of those. im also not positive if they work with a full CAI.

this thread is intense. glad I read it though. Because I still want an FMIC and i'll make sure that the insurance company doesn't know! lol

Back