Would you buy a MAZDASPEED2?

Would you buy a MAZDASPEED2?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
How about......

2004_honda_civic_si_hatchback-pic-43632.jpeg

well I am interested in b spec and it's 1860 lb curb weight vs 2300 for mazda 2 which is aslo better to tow with (possibly) my cx-5. That stuff on the b spec thread looks really fun

1860 lbs? That's no joke. I haven't even heard of anything that light in many years.

I'm seeing a curb weight of 1973 lbs on Mitsubishi's website. At 74 hp, this gives it a power to weight ratio of 0.0375 hp/lb. The 2 has a curb weight of 2306 lbs and has 100 horses. This gives it a power to weight ratio of 0.0434 hp/lb. So, I'm not really seeing the appeal of a Mirage for B-Spec where you are going to have a few straightaways where all the competition is going to pull away from you. Maybe it would work for autocross or a track with a lot of tight corners, but even then I'm doubtful as the 2 seems to have a wider stance than the Mirage and a lower center of gravity.

Well while reading through the b-spec documents it seems that you can have a tuned motor.

The answer to "would you buy a Mazdaspeed 2" is still: hellmuthafkinyesmakeitalreadyiwantitsotakemymoneynow!!!

Update to some prior discussion on this thread, the 2015 Mazda3 will be available with 2.5 + manual.

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123840442

Yep, still gonna say no to a MS2. For the expected price (~Fiesta ST) you can get a decently loaded 3 with more power, more torque, better fuel economy, more interior space, and more features. Assuming the MS2 weight would be similar to the current Touring (not likely), it'd need ~130 hp to match the power/weight ratio of a 3i (similarly priced) or ~145 hp to match the 3s ($1-2K) more. This is using specs for the 3 sedan but it's worth noting that using the 3 hatch specs would result in a more favorable conclusion for the 2.

Here's the thing, I want a MS2 for the simple fact that it is small and has a great power to weight ratio. I don't want it in a bigger car. I want it in a small, great looking small hatch. It doesn't interest me that the Mazda 3 is bigger and has more room for the same price. I want all the premium stuff in the MS2 and I want to pay for it. I guess I'm nuts.

Let's say yes and let people decide which great option they want.

Yep, still gonna say no to a MS2. For the expected price (~Fiesta ST) you can get a decently loaded 3 with more power, more torque, better fuel economy, more interior space, and more features. Assuming the MS2 weight would be similar to the current Touring (not likely), it'd need ~130 hp to match the power/weight ratio of a 3i (similarly priced) or ~145 hp to match the 3s ($1-2K) more. This is using specs for the 3 sedan but it's worth noting that using the 3 hatch specs would result in a more favorable conclusion for the 2.

Last edited:

But not everyone wants (needs) a larger car. How many people try full size suv's with no family, no tow, no hauling lol.

Back