Tips on installing 626 intake manifold

mightyray

:
03 MSP Protege Black Mica
So I installed the 626 intake manifold a couple months ago and I wanted to post some helpful info that I dug up from several posts so here it goes:

General IM info

• May need studs if they break 8mm X 1.25
  • Need some t connectors for vacuum hoses
  • Don't forget to put the fuel rail spacers and o rings back on the injectors
  • Torque specs are 14-16 lbs for the manifold
  • put the brake booster line on first when reinstalling
  • gasket goes between the spacer and the head (I put two gaskets on because of the NSN spacer)
  • remove gasket material on TB with wire wheel

"Just in case you havent removed a throttle cable before here is a tip....there is a bracket that holds the throttle cable sheilding (the plastic that goes around the actual metal throttle cable) to the intake manifold in the back....rather than removing the bracket, work with the part that the throttle cable connects to it with and pull it off of the bracket instead....its a lot easier"

• You might need to get some washers for the bottom bracket to fit especially if you have the nsn spacer.
  • I did the Throttle body coolant bypass during this install.
  • The EGR pipe is extremely difficult to remove from the stock intake. I ended up taking a hacksaw to it since I had the home depot one ready to go.
  • It would also be extremely easy to replace the rear motor mount with the intake manifold off. I wish I would have known this beforehand.
  • You should also clean your egr while you have it off.

Helpful links for the install:

http://www.nsnmotorsports.com/docs/thermal.html

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123670051&highlight=intake+manifold+install

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123685100&highlight=intake+manifold

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123625554

[http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123662673&highlight=egr+tube&page=3 EGR PIPING

"Ok well I am not sure which number is the part number on the package but there is a number on the lower left hand corner of the front of the package that is: PM15X103 and the bar code number that is on the back is: 84691 80497. The product is made by GE and it reads: "Universal 48" gas range installation kit for all brands", and it is in a clear blue and orange package with a picture of a kitchen stove on the front. I got it from home depot right next to the appliances(not the plumbing section of the store)."

Be careful with this egr pipe because it could easily burn through wires or your stock IC pipes. You definitely want hardpipes if you use it. I used some insulation tape to keep it from rattling and to protect my wires. ]

FYI, the manifold is working well with the unichip, but I still plan on getting it tuned.

Also, the car takes longer to warm up now. Usually a couple minutes or more on a really cold day.

I try to do all mods myself, but I'm definitely not a mechanic. It's a very doable install, but just take your time and don't try to rush it.

This is the best mod I've done and it unleashes the top end of the car! You won't be disappointed.

Last edited:
Nice I am doing this now and am stuck on the throttle cable. yes I am a noob lol.

Nice I am doing this now and am stuck on the throttle cable. yes I am a noob lol.

Pulling the throttle all the way out with one hand and using some needle nose pliers to push the little cylinder through the hole with the other is how I do it.

Pulling the throttle all the way out with one hand and using some needle nose pliers to push the little cylinder through the hole with the other is how I do it.

Yeah I finally got that out now I can't get the rear motor mount bolts to break loose lol. I got one but the back two suck!

Yeah they're a pain. Spray some PB blaster all around them and then use a breaker bar. If you don't have a breaker bar go out and buy one because it's essential.

Ok so I hooked everything back up but it won't start? It starts and dies right away. What could I be missing? did I plug something in to the wrong plug or something? Its really strange its almost like its not getting gas or something to keep running???

You have all the vacuum lines back on? Make sure the brake booster line is on nice and tight. It sounds like you have a massive vacuum leak and that's the one spot you should check first.

I just re checked and everything seems to be connected? I used some t's to connect some of the vac hoses maybe I t'd the wrong ones together? it pretty much goes vroooom...dead lol what else could be wrong?

Perfect timing. Thanks very much.
I'm about to install mine. Still pondering if I should do it myself or get a shop to.
How long would you think it'll take taking your time? THx.

You're first time though will probably take double that. At least it did for me and I did take my time.

OK what the hell did I do wrong?? I start the car it dies right away. I pump the gas peddle and the car revvs all the way up to red line would not stop. I unplugged the battery and it eventually revved down and died. Now there is antifreeze leaking from the back by the manifold. any one have a clue to what I did wrong?

For one it sounds like you messed up the throttle cable so it's always opening the throttle all the way and taking it to redline. The leaking coolant could also be coming from the throttle body as well.. so I would definitely double check the throttle body.

Make sure that the throttle cable is hooked up properly and that you can open the throttle by using your finger and that it goes back on its own. Also check the two coolant lines that go to the TB and make sure they're clamped down.

For one it sounds like you messed up the throttle cable so it's always opening the throttle all the way and taking it to redline. The leaking coolant could also be coming from the throttle body as well.. so I would definitely double check the throttle body.

Make sure that the throttle cable is hooked up properly and that you can open the throttle by using your finger and that it goes back on its own. Also check the two coolant lines that go to the TB and make sure they're clamped down.

Checked the throttle and it closes fine. leaking coolant I am pretty sure is from there. I started the car again and it dies then I give it a lil gas and the car revs up, up, up to redline and bounces all the while the throttle is closed. Could it be an EGR issue or vacuum route issue that would make it rev to red and stay there?

Back