MP3 springs on P5??

mazdaspeed777

Contributor
:
03' Mazda Protege 5
I have a few questions I need help with.

1) Are the stock springs on an MP3 protege sedan racing beat springs??

2) Do the stock springs from an MP3 protege fit on the Protege 5's??

3) If the stock springs from the MP3 protege do fit the Protege 5 will they lower the Protege 5 from its stock height??

4) Where can I get some cheap stock MP3 springs?

Your help would be much appreciated with these ?'s THANKS!

mazdaspeed777 said:
I have a few questions I need help with.

1) Are the stock springs on an MP3 protege sedan racing beat springs??

Yes

2) Do the stock springs from an MP3 protege fit on the Protege 5's??

Yes

3) If the stock springs from the MP3 protege do fit the Protege 5 will they lower the Protege 5 from its stock height??

Yes (just a tad)

4) Where can I get some cheap stock MP3 springs?

ebay, wtb thread, for sale thread, Approved vendors, non approved vendors

Your help would be much appreciated with these ?'s THANKS!

ALSO, your slide show doesn't work (poke)

ke20sprinter said:
ALSO, your slide show doesn't work (poke)

sweet, thanks. Do you know how much they will lower the P5? and yah about the slideshow sig it won't let me change my sig or fix it in the sig edditor section for some reason so if any has any ideas with that also that would be rad

I think they do something like .70" on back & .90" in the front. I could have that backwards but I'm pretty sure both are under an inch.

You are looking at a 0.75" drop in front and almost a 0.9" drop in the rear if it's just the springs you're swapping out.

Here's a pic of my car with just the MP3 springs and stock everything else.

Attachments

• MP3_Springs_3.jpg
    MP3_Springs_3.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 961
  • MP3_Springs_1.jpg
    MP3_Springs_1.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 835
  • MP3_Springs_2.jpg
    MP3_Springs_2.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 818
  • MP3_Springs_4.jpg
    MP3_Springs_4.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 821
well I was hoping they would at least drop the p5 an inch but oh well, it was worth a try. Does anyone have a cheap set of lowering springs for sale for the P5?

speedcircuit.com has megan racing lowering springs for the cheapest ive seen for brand new ones. $109

I definatly notice a differance in performance and looks. Granted, I wish it was a little lower in the front, but it's not that noticable. The handling isn't as good as you'd get from springs like the eibachs or others, but much better than stock.

It is definatly worth it, especially considering I only paid $55 and installed them myself. But if handling is very important to you and you want the extra lowering, the just save up and buy a good set of aftermarkets.

By the way, I decided to go with the MSP springs instead of aftermarket ones for several reasons:
-I don't have a lot of money right now
-I just plan on going the coilover route in a year or two, so why waste the extra money.

Good luck on your decision, I hope I helped.

If you don't mind the front wheel gap (more in the front than rear) they are worth it. I noticed a big change in handling when I added them. Less body roll and more stability at higher speeds.

dont do this drop...its a waste IMO....if you cant tell from the pictures shown...the back drops more than in the front and it looks retarded with your front end sitting higher than the rear...almost as if you have hyrdaulics and you front is raised up with oout the rear being raised....

i have seen it it person and IMO it looks like ass.....go with something that will give you a decent drop....and not make ur car look like a dumb ricer POS.

but the gap difference will be reduced if i hv tokico struts + racing beat spring(what im planning to do) rite???
seriously....i don't want to drop it too much since im sharing the car with my parents....don't worry them to complain that the car is too low...btw...mp3 spring is not too stiff rite.....don't want to destroy too much ride comfort as well
i just want better handling...so if the gap difference is not big with the tokico strut+racing beat spring combo....it is fine with me.....besides...it is probably the cheapest way to upgrade my suspension

Last edited:
vicham said:
but the gap difference will be reduced if i hv tokico struts + racing beat spring(what im planning to do) rite???
seriously....i don't want to drop it too much since im sharing the car with my parents....don't worry them to complain that the car is too low...btw...mp3 spring is not too stiff rite.....don't want to destroy too much ride comfort as well
i just want better handling...so if the gap difference is not big with the tokico strut+racing beat spring combo....it is fine with me.....besides...it is probably the cheapest way to upgrade my suspension

what kind of car do you have??? the MP3 srpings and struts are the same as the MSP springs and struts...racing beat springs...tokicp hp (blue) struts..

bigj884 said:
dont do this drop...its a waste IMO....if you cant tell from the pictures shown...the back drops more than in the front and it looks retarded with your front end sitting higher than the rear...almost as if you have hyrdaulics and you front is raised up with oout the rear being raised....

i have seen it it person and IMO it looks like ass.....go with something that will give you a decent drop....and not make ur car look like a dumb ricer POS.

LOL dumb ricer POS huh? Gotta disagree with you on that one.

I was nervous about lowering my car at first so I went with these. They are good for people who aren't into the harsher ride you get with a lowered car, as the ride is still comfortable and the handling is improved. I will be going with more aggressive springs when I get new struts, but I wouldn't say these are inferior springs.

The MP3 springs with stock suspension will improve braking stability and cornering a bit. Hard cornering with proper tire pressures gave me good tire life. I had that setup for track use for 2 years.

You are looking at about a 23 to 25% increase in linear spring rates over stock, still a very comfortable street ride.

I wish I had the MP3 springs with my current Mazdaspeed swaybars (proper front and rear) setup.

Back