2016 CX9 Owners Thread

Thank you

Thank you guys for sharing your experience with the new CX 9.

Agreed. Looking at the competition, still the CX 9 provides better value and a very unique vehicle. The Sorentos are similarly priced and its EPA rating is just 17 MPG. Pilot is boxy. I don't like the style of even the 17 highlander. Acadia you have to step up to Denali to even compare with the CX 9 GT. Traverse and Enclave have poor MPG. Pathfinder is styled boxy and has CVT, which I hate. I like the Explorer limited 2.3 T, but most of the online reviews are not good.

I will test drive a CX9 soon.

I will test drive a CX9 soon.

When you do the test drive, make sure you get a model that has a heads-up display and make sure the salesman put the NAV SD card in. The HUD is extraordinary. It displays the posted and actual speed limits, turn-by-turn navigation steps, tachometer, and most importantly an indication if someone is in your blind spot. It makes driving a lot safer and enjoyable. BTW, I currently have 1500 miles on my car and the mpg seems to have improved after taking a recent 500 mile highway trip (Dallas-Houston round-trip).

I've had mine for about 2,500 miles. It is a joy to drive - I really have no complains in that department. My only issues are:

1) Infotainment System black screen. Very annoying and Mazda doesn't seem to care about it. I just saw on another forum from people who installed V59, the black screen it is still happening. This is just simply unacceptable. I would be embarrassed to put out a software like that. I get it. It's software and bugs happen, but f*ing fix it and do it fast. Don't screw your customers. It's been several months. WTF are they doing? Shouldn't be this difficult to solve really -- if they gave a crap.
2) The padding on the driver's side door (elbow rest) is meh... there's already a spot where the padding is gone and my elbow fits there nicely. It's not uncomfortable, but it just feels cheaply made, like you couldn't add a few more mms of padding?
3) These are things I wish it had: Front parking sensors, Power folding mirrors, hands-free tail-gate,
4) Reviews say it's quiet - For more, starting at 55mph and getting worse at over 70mph, I hear road noise (which is probably normal) and also forced wind noise, which is annoying if you don't have the stereo on (say b/c the screen went black).

In summary: Do I regret my purchase: No. Would I purchase it again? Maybe. 1st time Mazda owner and Mazda is leaving a bad taste in my mouth with this update BS. I would probably wait and see what issues come up next time. You do get a good value for your money though - this is the best in its class. Next up are the luxury models.

[emoji106][emoji106][emoji106] I agree here. It's my first
Mazda and might be my last if the reboots do not get fixed.

[emoji106][emoji106][emoji106] I agree here. It's my first
Mazda and might be my last if the reboots do not get fixed.

I've never really used the nav and have only had 1 reboot since I purchased the car in July. My main issue is I am a big guy and wish they would have made a little more room in the front (width). That is not that big of a deal and I would buy this car in a heartbeat. Love the way it drives.

I am big Mazda fan. I have a 03 MPV and a 2010 Mazda3, love both of these vehicles and are so much fun to drive. I am considering the new CX 9 as a replacement for my MPV. I want to sense the pulse of the existing 2016 CX 9 owners, as new issues like bad infotainment system and low MPG are surfacing. Would you still recommend the new CX 9?

I’ve had my AWD 2016 Mazda CX-9 GT for about 2 months now. I just hit 5000 miles. I could not recommend it enough. To address your concerns:

Infotainment System - As far as the infotainment system is concerned I have no complaints. It’s straight forward and easy to use. I connect my iPhone via Bluetooth and have no problems playing music through iTunes or using any of my other to apps that stream audio. I’ll admit that it has rebooted on me at least 3 times for no apparent reason. I’ve since had the dealer update the firmware to 59.00.441 NA N and I’ve yet to experience a reboot.

MPG – When I bought the CX-9 I was averaging about 17 mpg. At first I was a little annoyed, but I drove it as Mazda recommended for the first 600 miles by not maintaining a constant speed. I actually drove it this way for the first 1000 miles. Now I average about 25 mpg. I like to take advantage of the technology, so I use the Mazda Radar Cruise Control daily to maintain and adjust the speed of my car as necessary. The only thing I wish is that the cruise control did not disengage at 13 mph. The Australian version of the CX-9 uses Stop & Go Function, so the car will actually come to a complete stop and accelerate on its own once the car ahead begins to move forward. That would be awesome for LA Traffic. Which I sit in daily. Ugh.

Overall – I really enjoy the CX-9. It’s fun to drive. It looks good. For me it’s not an issue, but if you need to tow over 3500lbs, then you’ll need something else. Also, when all 3 rows are up, the storage space is limited. For me, I typically keep the 3rd row down and I have more than enough room.

Good luck!
Stu

Photo Aug 13, 3 15 35 PM.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As can be seen in my signature, the CX-9 is my 19th Mazda.

The infotainment system random reboots seem to have disappeared with an update to the latest firmware version. (Even beforehand it only happened a couple of times.)

Latest firmware update version? where do you get that? as far as I know there is no update at all, the solution (at least for me) was to disable sync (sms/email) between Smartphone and SUV and delete messages.

I've never really used the nav and have only had 1 reboot since I purchased the car in July. My main issue is I am a big guy and wish they would have made a little more room in the front (width). That is not that big of a deal and I would buy this car in a heartbeat. Love the way it drives.

My old CX9 feels with more space in the driver seat compared with the new version. But I'm happy. They put lot of new tech and isolation so I understand they need to use space.

Latest firmware update version? where do you get that? as far as I know there is no update at all, the solution (at least for me) was to disable sync (sms/email) between Smartphone and SUV and delete messages.

US dealers have an update available to firmware version 59.00.441.
Check with your dealer to determine whether an update has been released for your region.

1) Infotainment System black screen. Very annoying and Mazda doesn't seem to care about it. I just saw on another forum from people who installed V59, the black screen it is still happening. This is just simply unacceptable. I would be embarrassed to put out a software like that. I get it. It's software and bugs happen
It's gotta be hardware. The same software was in all the cars from the factory. Only a few had problems. Software doesn't vary. Hardware can vary.

I've had mine for about 2,500 miles ...
1) Infotainment System black screen. Very annoying and Mazda doesn't seem to care about it. I just saw on another forum from people who installed V59, the black screen it is still happening. This is just simply unacceptable. I would be embarrassed to put out a software like that. I get it. It's software and bugs happen, but f*ing fix it and do it fast. Don't screw your customers. It's been several months. WTF are they doing? Shouldn't be this difficult to solve really -- if they gave a crap.
It's gotta be hardware. The same software was in all the cars from the factory. Only a few had problems. Software doesn't vary. Hardware can vary.
Well said and I totally agree other than "only a few had problems". SDL should escalate his case to Customer Experience Center at Mazda North American Operations and demand them to replace the entire infotainment head unit if they have no clue how to fix it. I also just found out on our 2016 CX-5 that the seldom used GPS is longer working for some reason. The infotainment system is basically the same as the one in CX-9. I'm disappointment about the problem but not surprised. Mazda has not been known for good quality and reliability. We're going to have some problems by owning a Mazda. Since they're small, sometimes it takes time to resolve the issue if it's a difficult one.

Mazda has not been known for good quality and reliability. We're going to have some problems by owning a Mazda. Since they're small, sometimes it takes time to resolve the issue if it's a difficult one.

Don't worry too much about the reliability guys. Please feel proud to own a Mazda. They provide other great values like gorgeous looking and making our travel much more fun. Reliability is subjective and differs from person to person. My 03 MPV had an engine leak issue and engine problems at 113K miles. But, my dealer sealed the leak and fixed the check engine light. Now, my MPV has 145K miles and since then it is so reliable in the last 40K miles and I still don't hesitate to take her on a family long drives. Best of all, still my MPV looks sharp even after 13 years.

AF1QipM2WyZvkXQF4fImSlZ31eezkB8DWrp_dRxML1uX

Good luck guys for the infotainment system issue to be fixed soon!

Last edited:
Infotainment problems are very frustrating, I know:

My 2016 Honda HR-V and 2013 Civic had some serious glitches, including blank screens and freezing. Honda never developed a solution for it, saying my experiences were 'unique'. Funny because Consumer Reports and Honda forums all reported similar problems.

I know from first hand accounts that Toyota and GM have some serious infotainment glitches as well. Funny enough, from what I've read the bane of reliability, Fiat Chrysler, has the best infotainment systems!

Hopefully when Apple CarPlay and Android Auto become more mainstream they can help lower the number glitches the auto manufacturers have with their proprietary software.

Well said and I totally agree other than "only a few had problems". SDL should escalate his case to Customer Experience Center at Mazda North American Operations and demand them to replace the entire infotainment head unit if they have no clue how to fix it. I also just found out on our 2016 CX-5 that the seldom used GPS is longer working for some reason. The infotainment system is basically the same as the one in CX-9. I'm disappointment about the problem but not surprised. Mazda has not been known for good quality and reliability. We're going to have some problems by owning a Mazda. Since they're small, sometimes it takes time to resolve the issue if it's a difficult one.

I have escalated the problem and even have a case open - They were supposed to replace my unit about a month ago but Mazda put a stop to it saying that the software would fix it.
And I disagree... It could be a software. You can see this with phones. Sometimes the same model of iPhone with the same software can have different problem. It's really hard to troubleshoot this problem without having the right tools to do so. Only Mazda can do it and I don't think they care that much about it.

Don't worry too much about the reliability guys. Please feel proud to own a Mazda. They provide other great values like gorgeous looking and making our travel much more fun. Reliability is subjective and differs from person to person.

Good luck guys for the infotainment system issue to be fixed soon!

My Mazda CX9 2011 was very reliable, I even believe was extremely reliable because I never ever had a single issue. Rear brake pads never changed and Front brakes changed at 40,000 miles. With my previous vehicle (Volvo) I changed brake pads every 12,000 miles, terrible. With my Volvo I changed the BATT every 2 years and I had transmission issues after 2 years and 6 months. When I check with my mechanics, they have a shop full of Volvos and Jaguar. One BMW and one Audi. No Japan cars or SUV in the service shop.

Regarding the infoT reboot, I had the issue today again twice, both times happens after turned ON. (eek)

Infotainment problems are very frustrating, I know:

My 2016 Honda HR-V and 2013 Civic had some serious glitches, including blank screens and freezing. Honda never developed a solution for it, saying my experiences were 'unique'. Funny because Consumer Reports and Honda forums all reported similar problems.

I know from first hand accounts that Toyota and GM have some serious infotainment glitches as well. Funny enough, from what I've read the bane of reliability, Fiat Chrysler, has the best infotainment systems!

Hopefully when Apple CarPlay and Android Auto become more mainstream they can help lower the number glitches the auto manufacturers have with their proprietary software.

I agree. At some point, they are specialized in mechanics not audio/infotainment electronics. Most car manufactures use third party for this development. At the end I believe they need to develop using high end code / hardware like Google, Panasonic, Sony, etc if they want to avoid issues. It's my personal opinion.

I agree. At some point, they are specialized in mechanics not audio/infotainment electronics. Most car manufactures use third party for this development. At the end I believe they need to develop using high end code / hardware like Google, Panasonic, Sony, etc if they want to avoid issues. It's my personal opinion.

I have to disagree. Software is so integrated with almost everything these days that the two are inseparable. I have had a similar discussion at work many times and software development in general. Mazda may not be a software company and neither was Ford. But Ford saw they had to adapt or else. https://media.ford.com/content/ford...ompany-livio-to-further-advance-in-car-c.html.

Mazda is and should be in the business of successfully selling vehicles. Customers now demand better features in their vehicles which requires better software and hardware. As such, they need to have better software development or they will fail as an auto company. At some point driving dynamics won't enough.

There are many businesses who failed to evolve and are no longer around. Progress, for better or worse, waits for no company.

The real problem, in my humble opinion, is not necessarily that problems exist. It's how the company deals with the problem that makes the difference. Burying your head in the sand does not build buyer confidence. Mazda should acknowledge the problem and address it instead of letting the dealerships take the hit. I don't really trust dealerships in general and had it not been for this forum, I would have taken my frustrations out on the dealership.

I have to disagree. Software is so integrated with almost everything these days that the two are inseparable.
You are correct.

I have had a similar discussion at work many times and software development in general. Mazda may not be a software company and neither was Ford. But Ford saw they had to adapt or else. https://media.ford.com/content/ford...ompany-livio-to-further-advance-in-car-c.html.
Again, you are right. I even remember when Ford started to work with Microsoft and found the SYNC software in Ford vehicles.

Mazda is and should be in the business of successfully selling vehicles. Customers now demand better features in their vehicles which requires better software and hardware. As such, they need to have better software development or they will fail as an auto company. At some point driving dynamics won't enough.
I agree. But the electronics used for engine (computer, sensors, etc) is very different to Infotainment electronics. Japan are the best globally in electronic components. Looks at Sony, Panasonic, Sansui and other brands, they use low tolerance high end electronic components and the best design ever. They don't have the highest rank on software development, this is why I say they need to get help from someone at Silicon Valley!

There are many businesses who failed to evolve and are no longer around. Progress, for better or worse, waits for no company.
Agree. Don't go to far, look at Blackberry!

The real problem, in my humble opinion, is not necessarily that problems exist. It's how the company deals with the problem that makes the difference. Burying your head in the sand does not build buyer confidence.
I agree. With my reboot issue in my InfoT system, my dealer says I need to bring my CX9 to the dealer and they need to work 24 - 48 hours just to "check" what's happening. They don't even know how to fix it.

Mazda should acknowledge the problem and address it instead of letting the dealerships take the hit.
Agree!

I don't really trust dealerships in general and had it not been for this forum, I would have taken my frustrations out on the dealership.
Agree!

I have escalated the problem and even have a case open - They were supposed to replace my unit about a month ago but Mazda put a stop to it saying that the software would fix it.
And I disagree... It could be a software. You can see this with phones. Sometimes the same model of iPhone with the same software can have different problem. It's really hard to troubleshoot this problem without having the right tools to do so. Only Mazda can do it and I don't think they care that much about it.
You shouldn't compare the software in our infotainment system to phones. Cell phones use different hardware and CPUs and different operating system. But the infotainment system in our Mazda's is a closed system with fixed platform which has the same hardware and software. So it's totally legit when PTguy said that it's a hardware issue and you should try to get your whole infotainment head unit replaced unless Mazda knows how to do component level repair.

I have to disagree. Software is so integrated with almost everything these days that the two are inseparable. I have had a similar discussion at work many times and software development in general. Mazda may not be a software company and neither was Ford. But Ford saw they had to adapt or else. https://media.ford.com/content/ford...ompany-livio-to-further-advance-in-car-c.html.

The real problem, in my humble opinion, is not necessarily that problems exist. It's how the company deals with the problem that makes the difference. Burying your head in the sand does not build buyer confidence. Mazda should acknowledge the problem and address it instead of letting the dealerships take the hit. I don't really trust dealerships in general and had it not been for this forum, I would have taken my frustrations out on the dealership.

Previous owner of 2008 CX-9 GTS. Transfer case went at 122K, likely needed new transmission. BUT, loved my CX-9 and had few problems (although this was a big one). However, I couldn't get all the bells and whistles in a German brand for less than another $15 to $20K.

Bought a new 2016 Signature two weeks back. Got rear bumper trim piece cracked and broken less than 12 hours after bringing her home and parking at work with 3 security camera's which apparently caught nothing or nobody. $75 for the part and $100 to physically remove the bumper to replace it. Not an easy task.

Anyway,have almost 800 miles on her and absolutely no problems with the Infotainment system or Navi. No reboots like the loaner Mazda I had when I had a loaner for a day while they installed MMS. Albeit the nav voice commands seem to go to s*** when driving and trying to give her a direction. Navigate to or Drive to, simply don't work.

Only complaints so far:
Engine seem to have gotten noisier after a few days of ownership. I'm not talking about the startup/warmup of the catalytic converter. A few days of ownership, I was backing out of my garage and my wife and I heard what sounded like we drove over a tin can and crushed it. Got out and didn't see a thing. I'd swear it was something to do with the exhaust area as the car is somewhat noisy when accelerating. Maybe it's just me.

Only other complaint is the quick lane change blinker option for 3 seconds is way to short to change lanes. Should be more like 5 to 7 seconds to execute lane change safely.

Rear hatch. Not easily pushed down like my old model. Also the unlock button on the door, doesn't unlock the driver side/passenger side doors.

Weather Tech JUST released the floor liners and have them on the way.

Back