2017 fuel economy

65-70....you know, the speed limit. Amazing right. 70 9 times out of 10 I get right on the dot 30. 65, about 32-33. 75 I get 29.
Another thing that might amaze you is that 75-85 is the speed limit along a vast majority of the roads I am on when I go on a road trip, and where it's only 70, traffic flow is typically 75-80ish anyway.

Another thing that might amaze you is that 75-85 is the speed limit along a vast majority of the roads I am on when I go on a road trip, and where it's only 70, traffic flow is typically 75-80ish anyway.
That's why you're getting your crappy mileage. Around here you might find an occasional stretch of highway with a 70 mph posting. My speeds are mostly under 70. When I do have an occasion to hit 80, the CURRENT MPG display drops considerably.

That's why you're getting your crappy mileage. Around here you might find an occasional stretch of highway with a 70 mph posting. My speeds are mostly under 70. When I do have an occasion to hit 80, the CURRENT MPG display drops considerably.

Hard to believe isn't it? The faster you go, the worse your gas mileage gets. Amazing. Some people just think because their previous vehicles didn't get worse gas mileage the faster they went, that it's a myth or whatever. I really don't get it. But I also dont buy it but quite frankly it doesn't matter to me. I know all vehicles perform different and some will be affected more than others, but physics doesn't lie. If you drive faster, you will get worse gas mileage. If you are driving 80mph and not meeting EPA expectations, should you really be upset? Do you really think EPA tests are done at speeds of 80mph.

Take a look here. Out of 50 states, 6 have a maximum speed limit of 80. Six! That's it. And that means maximum. For example Maryland is stating 70mph for maximum. Which is true. However, most highways are 65. The average appears to be 70. Drive 70, you will hit EPA estimates for the cx5 pending all the other variables(weather, wind, passengers, tire pressure, hills, etc).

23ram9h.png

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_limits_in_the_United_States_by_jurisdiction

+1. The EPA estiments are based on a particular driving profile for the city and highway driving cycle. They added a 10% increase fuel consumption correction factor years ago to more accurately reflect real world driving. The EPA estiments can be used to compare vehicles driving under these driving cycles. There are many variables that can result in exceeding or not meeting the estiments. The resultant mileage can seriously yield mileage below the EPA values when driving in winter, hilly areas, excessive traffic, driving over 70 mph and of course spirited driving. Some of us just don't seem to comprehend the idea that EPA mileage is primarily a method to compare vehicles under similar driving conditions. To complain about NOT beaning able to meeting the EPA is your problem and not the Governments. Grow up. :))

Never had those issues with other vehicles, though, is my complaint. That said, every company/magazine that reviews it has the same issues.

Last edited:
Wow... I cannot believe you quoted those people. You have way too much time on your hands lol. I know you're obsessed with trying to convince everyone the cx5 gets subpar gas mileage but come on. How much time did you waste finding those posts? Lol
I only want to present my honest opinions and facts. And I've seen enough evidence from owners and critiques proving that the real-world fuel economy on CX-5 may not be meeting the EPA ratings. In fact I remember I've seen disappointing real-world MPG during a comparison test from Car and Driver magazine in earlier days that was the first red flag on Mazda's SkyActiv Technology which I've fully believed the theory as far as real-world MPG goes. At beginning I really believed Mazda CX-5 can easily beat the EPA estimates soundly with its new and unique SkyActiv Technology as I've done that from every other cars I've owned, especially on the highway.

65-70....you know, the speed limit. Amazing right. 70 9 times out of 10 I get right on the dot 30. 65, about 32-33. 75 I get 29.
If we could exchange our AWD CX-5's, I can guarantee you that I'd get the same or better gas mileage like you experienced but you're the one complaining 28.x mpg on the highway is the best you could get!

If we could exchange our AWD CX-5's, I can guarantee you that I'd get the same or better gas mileage like you experienced but you're the one complaining 28.x mpg on the highway is the best you could get!

What are you talking about? I consistently get 30mpg on the highway. When did I say/complain about only getting 28.x?? I usually only get that when I do between 75-80mph. Which is 10-15mph above the speed limit here. You talk about facts but I never complained once about my gas mileage with my cx5.

Last edited:
On the contrary, if you read my post I said the car was packed to the brim with the a/c on all the time....EPA doesn't test cars like that. The 31 mpg is a combined mileage, highway and a lot of stop and go traffic, I'd say it more or less beats EPA estimates.
Although "L/100 km" is the unit for fuel economy rating, but I thought the ratings in Canada for CX-5 are much higher than EPA's? I saw the numbers were like 40 mpg equivalent in earlier CX-5 MY, then got tuned down to 35 or something?

What are you talking about? I consistently get 30mpg on the highway. When did I say/complain about only getting 28.x?? I usually get that when I do between 75-80mph. You talk about facts but I never complained about my gas mileage with my cx5.
I said "if we could exchange our AWD CX-5's", meaning if I have your exact CX-5 and you drive mine. I simply think each SA-G engine performs differently as far as fuel efficiency goes, like YMMV. The difference is so huge that we can have drastically different experience in real-world MPG among different samples of CX-5's!

I said "if we could exchange our AWD CX-5's", meaning if I have your exact CX-5 and you drive mine. I simply think each SA-G engine performs differently as far as fuel efficiency goes, like YMMV. The difference is so huge that we can have drastically different experience in real-world MPG among different samples of CX-5's!

Gotchaa..I was confused about your claim of mine that I complained about only getting 28.5mpg. As for swapping cx5s, yeah I mean every car is definitely different. I would love to do that experiment.

NOT beaning able to meeting the EPA is your problem and not the Governments. Grow up. :))
Then how do you explain those Real MPG data from Motor Trend (so as Consumer Reports and Car and Driver)? And it's their problem to those car critiques who are not able to meet the EPA ratings on CX-5 in the real world? Strangely they have no problems to beat the EPA with RAV4 and Escape???

the CX-5 actually got 23.4/27.7/25.1 Real MPG. (EPA: 24/30/26)
the RAV4 managed 24.5/30.3/26.8 Real MPG city/highway/combined, outperforming its EPA rating of 22/29/25 mpg by a fair margin.
The Escape got 21.6/32.6/25.5 Real MPG in our testing, improving overall on its 22/28/24 EPA score.

Again, if I could drive your exact CX-5 and you drive mine, I can guarantee you that I'd get the same or better gas mileage like you experienced but you're the one complaining 28.x mpg on the highway is the best you could get! But I wouldn't ask you to grow up though. :)

I'm honestly not sure. They could be lying like Bill Clinton when he denied having sex with Monica...or they could be lying like Hillary claiming she didn't have classified information in her deleted E-mails. I'm unsure which.
lol, NOT to get into anything political or off topic, but I just saw an article where some of the FBI files regarding the Vince Foster suicide are missing. You know, the guy who shot himself twice in the head during the Clinton years and then managed to drag himself up an embankment...too funny.
Lol, I thought these are the best posts for the day in a boring car forum! Yeah how many people still remember Vince Foster who knew a lot of White Water secret. Both of my kids don't know who he was.

I do appologize to bring up political topic here. But I couldn't resist... :)

Then how do you explain those Real MPG data from Motor Trend (so as Consumer Reports and Car and Driver)? And it's their problem to those car critiques who are not able to meet the EPA ratings on CX-5 in the real world? Strangely they have no problems to beat the EPA with RAV4 and Escape???

Again, if I could drive your exact CX-5 and you drive mine, I can guarantee you that I'd get the same or better gas mileage like you experienced but you're the one complaining 28.x mpg on the highway is the best you could get! But I wouldn't ask you to grow up though. :)

Well, I get 27.5 combined, 30 highway only and about 24 city only. So, for me "real mpg" is not real and EPA is a very good estimate, and I don't drive like a grandma, I do not hesitate to step on it. Our speed limits are mostly 65 and in few places 70. I rarely drive faster than 75.

Never had those issues with other vehicles, though, is my complaint. That said, every company/magazine that reviews it has the same issues.

I know exactly how you feel. I had a 2011 Hyundai Elantra Touring rated at 31 highway. No matter what I tried or how I drove I couldn't get any better than 28 highway, felt really pissed about it. Of course, it wasn't speed related because my speeds were always around the 60-65 mph range, but I wasn't too happy with it during the time I had the car. Felt the company handed me a load of crap, which was eventually proven correct later on with some of their other models resulting in free gas cards for their customers.

I know exactly how you feel. I had a 2011 Hyundai Elantra Touring rated at 31 highway. No matter what I tried or how I drove I couldn't get any better than 28 highway, felt really pissed about it. Of course, it wasn't speed related because my speeds were always around the 60-65 mph range, but I wasn't too happy with it during the time I had the car. Felt the company handed me a load of crap, which was eventually proven correct later on with some of their other models resulting in free gas cards for their customers.

I'm happy with my CX-5 and the mileage. I simply an unhappy with how Mazda represented it.

Think of it like this...say you meet a girl out at a *whatever*, and you two hang out, spend time, etc. and she tells you something about "Oh, yeah, I own my own house" or whatever. Or maybe you tell HER that. But the truth is, it's a parent that owns the house and is allowing living in it for the time...

...when the truth comes out, it's likely not to impress anyone, even though functionally nothing has changed.

Every time I drive on the highway I easily hit at least 30mpg or hover right around it, except when I start to speed up and average 75+. Than I hover more around 29. 30mpg is 100% possible in the awd cx5. And no, it doesn't take any type of magic. Just a little common sense(not flooring it, not riding peoples bumpers, easy acceleration in city traffic when there are upcoming lights).

This whole summer I have averaged between 28.5-29mpg and that includes my highway drives to work, as well as my daily city driving. I'd say about a little more than half of all my driving is non highway.
I have a 2014 CX-5. I was getting what you stated anywhere from 28-29 mpg going 70+. I put in a Kn&n filter and I get 31mpg with the same driving style. I have had it for a month and I saw an increase.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I have a 2014 CX-5. I was getting what you stated anywhere from 28-29 mpg going 70+. I put in a Kn&n filter and I get 31mpg with the same driving style. I have had it for a month and I saw an increase.

Interesting. I remain leery of them because of how much debris they let past, as well as the oil coating of MAF sensor wires they can cause.

Interesting. I remain leery of them because of how much debris they let past, as well as the oil coating of MAF sensor wires they can cause.
Time will tell. So far I'm happy with it in my AWD CX-5

Interesting thread to read for a new 2016.5 AWD Owner. So far, into my 2nd week now, I am running about 24.6-24.7 MPG, mixed driving leaning more toward city, which I am quite happy with. Have a friend who bought a CX-3 a couple of years ago, he said his MPG went up a fair bit after he had driven for "a while". We will be making a long road trip mid-September, should be a good time to see how it does on long highway runs.

Back