2017 fuel economy

Official revised 2017 MPG numbers for the 2016 CX-5 are now available:
AWD: http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/comparempg.shtml#id=35993 City/Combined unchanged, highway reduced from 30 to 29
FWD: http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/comparempg.shtml#id=35989 Unchanged
I know CX-5 AWD has lower final drive ratio than FWD, but now 4 mpg penalty on the highway seems too stiff! Mazda should try to improve its AWD system more fuel efficient as others have only 1 mpg penalty!

I know CX-5 AWD has lower final drive ratio than FWD, but now 4 mpg penalty on the highway seems too stiff! Mazda should try to improve its AWD system more fuel efficient as others have only 1 mpg penalty!

They will with the '17 diesel :)

Official revised 2017 MPG numbers for the 2016 CX-5 are now available:
AWD: http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/comparempg.shtml#id=35993 City/Combined unchanged, highway reduced from 30 to 29
FWD: http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/comparempg.shtml#id=35989 Unchanged

Well damn. First I'm proven right about insulation and sound deadening and 2017 not getting a turbo, now it seems I was right all along about Mazda over-rating my vehicle's mpg on the highway. Looks like pretty much every arguing point I have made on this forum that I took so much heat for...was bang-on right. I remember all those threads people on this forum trying to shout me down when I said Mazda was full of crap about the highway rating. Wrong. *Trump voice* WROOONNNGGGG. Unobtanium was right again.

Last edited:
I have tracked 44 fuelups with my '15 CX-5 AWD GT where I spend 80% of my time in city traffic. Averaging 27.8mpg. There is a noticeable improvement on road trips and a noticeable degradation during winter months. My best single result was 36.2mpg in the fall up to Duluth taking back roads w/55mph speeds.

My 3 year lease is ending in May '17 and I'll probably move up to the 2017 CX-5 to get the better infotainment/nav features. My chief complaint on the '15 model is noise (primarily wind noise) and the fact only the driver's window button is illuminated.

I really want to look at the diesel model but have heard that won't be available until later in the 2017 model year. The 2.5l SkyActive-G engine has ample giddyup for my driving style.

I get 27/28, but I drive normal interstate speeds. Almost no braking or accelerations. Just set cruise and drain the tank. My CX-5 has fared by FAR the worst of every vehicle I have owned regarding meeting EPA rating on the freeway. Combined, I average 22.5 per tank. It just doesn't meet EPA rating in my use like every other car or SUV I've had does. Now Mazda seems to be owning their mistakes...

Re-rate it for 22-23city and 28 highway, and I'd be inclined to agree with the ratings. We will see...

I just love being proven right after a bunch of people run their suck at me.

Hmmmm ...

I have tracked 44 fuelups with my '15 CX-5 AWD GT where I spend 80% of my time in city traffic. Averaging 27.8mpg. There is a noticeable improvement on road trips and a noticeable degradation during winter months. My best single result was 36.2mpg in the fall up to Duluth taking back roads w/55mph speeds.
Your gas mileage is amazing comparing to our AWD CX-5! Our 2016 AWD CX-5 can hardly get close to 30 mpg on the highway! Last time I tried very hard driving back from Houston on I-45 at the speed under 70 mph in the 75 speed zone, I could only get 30.5 mpg!

My chief complaint on the '15 model is noise (primarily wind noise) and the fact only the driver's window button is illuminated.
Well you'll be disappointed that those power window switches in new 2nd-gen CX-5 look the same as 1st-gen's, no illumination for switches on doors other than driver's; and no one-touch up / down power windows on non-driver's doors either!

Your gas mileage is amazing comparing to our AWD CX-5! Our 2016 AWD CX-5 can hardly get close to 30 mpg on the highway! Last time I tried very hard driving back from Houston on I-45 at the speed under 70 mph in the 75 speed zone, I could only get 30.5 mpg!

Well you'll be disappointed that those power window switches in new 2nd-gen CX-5 look the same as 1st-gen's, no illumination for switches on doors other than driver's; and no one-touch up / down power windows on non-driver's doors either!

Actually, his mileage is not far from mine - which is close currently at 26.4 MPG. I have lots of mileage on fuelly with this car - probably 65K miles. Very easy to get 35 MPG driving 55. 32 at 65 and 30 at 70.

Hmmmm...yeah, they are 1mpg off of what I was thinking it should get rated as. I can accept that. I loved how you all were all "Oh, YOU'RE the problem, MAZDA would NEVER over-rate a car!".

For you 1~2 MPG off city and 1 off 2017 highway, per new government testing rules, 0 off city, 0 off average and 1 off 2016 highway.
They did not overrate the car, they followed government procedure.

Again, things like power window switch illumination are local decisions unless legislation is involved. My 2016-5 has all auto up and down switches and all 4 are illuminated. Maybe the lighting goes with the auto switch and maybe some of your state legislation prohibits them?

Again, things like power window switch illumination are local decisions unless legislation is involved. My 2016-5 has all auto up and down switches and all 4 are illuminated. Maybe the lighting goes with the auto switch and maybe some of your state legislation prohibits them?
For one-touch up / down for all 4 windows and power window switch illumination features which are available in Europe but not available in North American market on CX-5 is a decision made by Mazda North American Operations to save their cost. There're many other competitors offer these features. My old 2001.5 VW Passat has these features and this has nothing to do with local regulation.

For one-touch up / down for all 4 windows and power window switch illumination features which are available in Europe but not available in North American market on CX-5 is a decision made by Mazda North American Operations to save their cost. There're many other competitors offer these features. My old 2001.5 VW Passat has these features and this has nothing to do with local regulation.

...it IS an econo vehicle...it's not going to have a luxury type feature set.

...it IS an econo vehicle...it's not going to have a luxury type feature set.
I understand Mazda North American Operations set CX-5 as an econo CUV and not having "luxury" features. But once you realized the same MNAO selling the same 2016.5 CX-5 GT AWD for $4,255 less in Canada, but offering more features than us in the US such as memory driver's seat, 6-way power passenger seat, and unlimited mileage warranty, you have to wonder! And why Anchorman in UK can have one-touch up / down for all 4 windows and power window switch illuminations as well as many other goodies from Mazda on his CX-5 but we can't?

Back