The Ohio Random Thread... aka We Should Probably Be Working

Still debating about going with a fiberglass/lexan hatch. The pros are significantly less weight and less complexity (no release cable, lock, or sensors needed). The cons are inconvenient opening method (multiple Dzus fasteners), and no security (i.e. locks). Thoughts?[/QUOTE]

My thought is that lexan scratches a lot easier then glass and, its not as secure to leave it at a hotel, restaurant, bar etc. if you go out of town with the car.

Evan looks like a nice "beater"

I was going to suggest the Aerocatch if it used the hinges. I think it would be a giant inconvenience to have a lift off hatch if you're also driving to the track. You'll probably put stuff for the day/weekend back there you'll need to get to and need at least one or two people to help. If your going to use a trailer it's a non issue.

Yeah, it'll likely be towed to tracks. The only time it'll see public roads is when I go to nearby meets or just driving around for fun. The issue is it needs at least six points of support. So even with the stock hinges and Aerocatch fasteners I'd need two other support points.

The stock struts are blown anyway so it's already a PITA the open the hatch. And at $100/ea to replace I was looking into other options.

Another option would be to keep the stock hatch and just replace the rear glass with lexan. Weight would be ~30 lbs versus ~15 lb for the fiberglass/lexan combo and ~60 lb for the stock hatch and glass.

My thought is that lexan scratches a lot easier then glass and, its not as secure to leave it at a hotel, restaurant, bar etc. if you go out of town with the car.

I was thinking that covering it with some clear 3M vinyl or similar would help prevent scratches. I guess regardless of locks or not the lexan isn't as secure as glass.

...or I could just leave it alone.

Last edited:

You should be able to get lexan with an abrasion resistant coating if you wanted to go that route. It would probably be at least twice as expensive though.

Grats on the new car Evan looks like a nice car for 500, and LOL at leaving it stock... Didn't we hear that with the ms6 too??

Oh trust me, it's tempting to mod, especially since I know the platform and there are local friends with parts I can buy. But I really just can't afford to mod it so I'm trying to be smart about it. ;)

I played I racing for the first time the other day and I'm hooked. Now I just need to buy a nice wheel pedal combo...
I bought the Mid-Ohio track for my friend and watched him suffer through the course and then I jumped on like a boss :) Love that track.

looks great for $500 Evan, except the wheels.

I got a call back from Buffalo Wild Wings this morning, I'm starting training on Wednesday!

And the new place makes more sense financially, they increased my rent from $445 to $475 for the year for a 1 bedroom, so I'm getting a 2 bedroom for $510 (since i have a bunch of crap in my living room).

Cool, wish you luck. We have BBW here and have been there a few times...well take out that is, never have eaten in. Not a bad deal for the apt either, lot more space for a few extra bucks.

Game Day!

Wearing your green? :p Have to be honest and say I'm rooting for Oregon but if Ohio State won, it would be good for the Big Ten. About time they kicked some ass during bowl season.

I bought a 93 MX6 a couple weeks ago for $500. I conned Will into driving out to MD with his truck/trailer and bring it back. It was freezing rain 70% of the drive. I thought it was just a leaky VC gasket but it's dumping oil from a crank seal so I'm going to swap the motor. Keeping this one stock for a DD though so I won't have to worry about getting to work the next day after a track day with the MS6.

The MX6 is pretty clean though, no rust, manual tranny, KL V6. There was some light front end damage that I was able to straighten out. Going to buff/wax it while I'm saving money for the replacement motor. Should be a nice commuter though for the rainy days I can't ride the bike.

You know, if you wanted to keep the V6 you could have just kept the P5 in the driveway. :p haha Looks pretty damn good for $500, even with the replacement engine you are ahead of the game. Now I'll sit back, grab the popcorn and await the announcement of the first mod. :)

You should be able to get lexan with an abrasion resistant coating if you wanted to go that route. It would probably be at least twice as expensive though.

I wasn't even going to go that far. Just cover it with clear vinyl or something similar. Either way I need to make up my mind soon because once the body work begins I won't be able to change my mind.

Not much left of the car right now. I pretty much just need to take out the engine and transmission and pull the wiring harnesses again. The only major task left is to remove the side windows.

Wearing your green? :p Have to be honest and say I'm rooting for Oregon but if Ohio State won, it would be good for the Big Ten. About time they kicked some ass during bowl season.
Maybe Oregon should wear some green. The White/Gray combo in the championship game isn't working out.

Now I'll sit back, grab the popcorn and await the announcement of the first mod. :)

lol

How about it! Oregon looked like s*** after that first drive and couldn't capitalize on all of those turnovers. Think of the rout had Ohio State not fumbled down in the red zone! As much as I don't like the Buckeyes I have to say that they played great and deserve to be Champs. But I feel Urban made an unclassy move by running it up at the end. C'mon...under a minute to go and up 15.....take the knee.

That's gotta be the worse Oregon played all year. They couldn't stop the run from elliott or jones. I'm not really a buckeye fan (because everyone around here loves them) but the ducks weren't on their A game last night. 2 easy 3rd down passes that could have been caught were dropped. Those could have definitely changed the outcome of the game. Id loved to see the game again & everyone from both sides were healthy

Yeah, I didn't like the last touchdown either. I understand rewarding the RB and O-line by giving them the chance to pound it in. If it happened in the first couple plays after getting the ball back so be it but I think Oregon coincided the loss at about 1 minute to go. But that's what you get with Urban. He's done that everywhere he's been. When he leaves (hopefully not anytime soon) and or when Ohio State gets beat it unfortunately leaves the expectation now for the other team to do the same.

I played I racing for the first time the other day and I'm hooked. Now I just need to buy a nice wheel pedal combo...
I bought the Mid-Ohio track for my friend and watched him suffer through the course and then I jumped on like a boss :) Love that track.

Look me up on there. I started playing it again a couple months ago. I have the Logitech Driving Force wheel, it's like $100 I think. Best wheel/pedal combo that is super affordable I think.

Grats on the new car Evan looks like a nice car for 500, and LOL at leaving it stock... Didn't we hear that with the ms6 too??

It's surprisingly nice for $500. No rust and really no notable body damage. Evan picked probably the worst day as far as the weather goes to go and get it, but it still worked out and I got to use the truck for truck things.

Does anyone here still drive a Protege? I still have a sedan passenger's side taillight that needs to go away.

Still rocking a P5 with less than 100k miles, but I don't need a tail light *knock on wood. By the way hello everyone, haven't jumped on here since early December.

So Will....how much do you charge for this car transporting? If all goes well I might be buying a car from the Midwest and my freaking head is spinning from reading reviews on TransportReviews.com and I've gotten about 10 quotes from brokers who are all promising me the world.

Any of you guys have personal experience with this? I think I've found a company I can feel comfortable with and then I find a few negative remarks and I second guess myself.

I have never used a car transporting service, but if the car runs than just by a plane ticket and have the current owner drive it to the airport and drive it home from there.

So Will....how much do you charge for this car transporting? If all goes well I might be buying a car from the Midwest and my freaking head is spinning from reading reviews on TransportReviews.com and I've gotten about 10 quotes from brokers who are all promising me the world.

Any of you guys have personal experience with this? I think I've found a company I can feel comfortable with and then I find a few negative remarks and I second guess myself.

One of my friends who is in the Navy had his Audi S4 transported from San Diego to back home here in NE OH over the summer while he's deployed in Japan so his dad could keep and eye on it and drive it around every once in a while. They did a great job (washed and waxed it, then covered it after loading it onto the trailer to prevent rock chips and stuff) . I can ask him which carrier he used, but I'm not sure when he'll be able to get back to me with an answer

Looks like my and Peaches' old Protege is getting some major work done and will be reborn this season:
10911429_380882288738704_2106725176355475374_o.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/teameffortmotorsports

Back