DVD Headrest

I think it's hit and miss

Am thinking of getting these ones for the 5

http://mp3playerstore.com/stuff_you_need/special/HR-709.html

They are in canada, so customs fees, but have to make sure the company is legit

mp3playerstore seems to be hit-and-miss. Some people seem to have got merchandise from them. Me personally, I had to file a fraud complaint with my CC company after more than a month of waiting. In the beginning I would get a different excuse each time I mailed, after a while my emails would not get returned and each time I called, the person on the phone could not tell me what was the status of my order and I was always told I would be called back and would never get a return call. I got a reply the last time I mailed them since I put the word FRAUD in the title. but by that time I had given up on waiting for them.

The only other place I found that was reasonable was a place called gooddeals18, but the reviews on them seem to be mixed as well. I ordered from them and had my 2 9" screens in about a week, but who knows if I was an exception...

For the poster who said they wanted to keep the stock headrest, I sort of was thinking that too, but now that I see them in the car, I think they fit the car much better than the tiny ones that came with the 5.. my 2 cents anyway.

So I finally pulled the trigger and ordered the 9" dvd headrests from MP3playerstore. I bought them through Ebay and they arrived within a few days.
I installed them the same night I recieved them, I really took my time with the install and I was still done in less than 2 hours. All in all, a very easy job, all you gotta do is get power to them and route some cables under the carpet. I used the add-a-circuit as well, about $15 at Canadian Tire (for our Canadian friends).
Big thanks to applezz for the great pictures of his install, I wired mine just the same.

Did you connect the two? I noticed looking at mine today that it has two audio out but only one audio in. How did you connect the audio up between them?

Did you connect the two? I noticed looking at mine today that it has two audio out but only one audio in. How did you connect the audio up between them?

I know, it's kinda strange... what I did was use a RCA Y adapter to bring the two audio outs down to one. The only down side is that the audio going in to the other headrest is now mono, no big deal I suppose.
Something like this is perfect:
~Adpt2RcmRcm.jpg

Perfect! Thanks for the response. Can't wait for this snow storm to stop so I can try and install them.

I know, it's kinda strange... what I did was use a RCA Y adapter to bring the two audio outs down to one. The only down side is that the audio going in to the other headrest is now mono, no big deal I suppose.

i dont get it. why did you have to use this and make it a mono signal?

normally it should go like this:

headunit -> headrest audio in -> headrest audio out --> 2nd headrest audio in

or

headunit -> 2x RCA Y splitter for 2x stereo out --> each for both headrests audio in

should be all stereo then (sun)

Just curious, you guys are listening through the headrest speakers instead of using the AUX in through the car stereo?

I have a PS2 for a DVD source, and connected the sound from the PS2 to the Aux in, and also to the DVD headrest with Y connectors. This way I can listen through the stereo or through headrest/headphones. I must admit, sound is crystal clear using the AUX in.

i dont get it. why did you have to use this and make it a mono signal?

normally it should go like this:

headunit -> headrest audio in -> headrest audio out --> 2nd headrest audio in

or

headunit -> 2x RCA Y splitter for 2x stereo out --> each for both headrests audio in

should be all stereo then (sun)

These are all-in-one units with the dvd player built in.
Each unit has the following I/O connections:
Output: 1 video (yellow) and 2 audio rca connectors (red and white)
Input: 1 Video (yellow) and 1 audio rca connector (red)

As far as audio connection, I find the built in FM modulator works well on these units, I usually use it or the built in speakers.

These are all-in-one units with the dvd player built in.
Each unit has the following I/O connections:
Output: 1 video (yellow) and 2 audio rca connectors (red and white)
Input: 1 Video (yellow) and 1 audio rca connector (red)

....-..

in this case it should work like this:

headrest 1 a/v out ---> 3x RCA-Y adapter for a/v --> a/v in headrest 2 and a/v in headunit

or

headrest 1 a/v out ---> a/v in headrest 2 ---> a/v out ---> a/v in headunit

this will get you stereo on all devices

in this case it should work like this:

headrest 1 a/v out ---> 3x RCA-Y adapter for a/v --> a/v in headrest 2 and a/v in headunit

or

headrest 1 a/v out ---> a/v in headrest 2 ---> a/v out ---> a/v in headunit

this will get you stereo on all devices
In this situation, there is no connection to the head unit.
I know I can wire it to the stock head unit through the AUX in, but for me it is unnecessary, the FM transmitter and the built in speakers work well enough for my child's cartoons :)
I only connected the two all-in-one units together so they can share the same video source (DVD,SD card or USB stick)
BTW, Here is what the units look like
frontpage2.jpg

well i just dont understand why you have mono on one unit as they both have stereo in- and outputs. (scratch)

How much is it for a double headrest unit, and I'm assuming that the headphone jacks work well?

I'm looking at putting in a ceiling-mounted flip down DVD player, but if I do it would be over the summer.

well i just dont understand why you have mono on one unit as they both have stereo in- and outputs. (scratch)

nehvada, go back and re-read post 48.
These units have only ONE rca audio input.

I bought the 9" ones, they have 7" as well.
The two 9" units were about $330 us.

HR-709M - Standard Features for ALL of them.

7" TFT Active Matrix Mobile LCD Monitor
High Resolution 480X3(RGB)X234
Built-in infrared audio transmitter
Built-in Speaker
2 video input & 1 audio input on V1

that doesnt make sense. why should it have two video inputs and only one audio input? at least that one audio should be stereo. or am i missing something here? (scratch)

or would it be like the left headrest is only getting the left speaker signal and the right headrest the right signal? that would at least make some sense.

that doesnt make sense. why should it have two video inputs and only one audio input? at least that one audio should be stereo. or am i missing something here? (scratch)

or would it be like the left headrest is only getting the left speaker signal and the right headrest the right signal? that would at least make some sense.

There is another external input, but I have not used it yet, it's a female 1/8" headphone style plug.
I dont know if it's Video only, or Audio and Video combined. I assume I'd have to buy some sort of adapter cable to make it work with an external source.
EDIT- actually, I think that plug may be for the external TV antenna... anyone know for sure?
And you are right, it does not make sense.
These are fairly cheap Chinese made products. The instruction manual is in english, but it is unreadable.
I figure if they work for a few years, I've got my money's worth from them.
I could have bought one headrest with the DVD player built in and the other one just strictly a monitor and saved $40 or $60, but I bought both units with the DVD player built in, just in case one DVD player fails in the future.

Last edited:
nehvada, go back and re-read post 48.
These units have only ONE rca audio input.

I bought the 9" ones, they have 7" as well.
The two 9" units were about $330 us.

I thought they were based in quebec, what is with the US price? I am looking to get 2 of these

Tell me about it... makes me wish I bought'em last year when our dollar was at par.

I called the number today at 4pm, no one picked up even though it says they are open till 9pm. I am begining to think they are a scam like others have said.

Any other seller that offers the same out there that people know of, even in canada?

So I finally pulled the trigger and ordered the 9" dvd headrests from MP3playerstore. I bought them through Ebay and they arrived within a few days.
I installed them the same night I recieved them, I really took my time with the install and I was still done in less than 2 hours. All in all, a very easy job, all you gotta do is get power to them and route some cables under the carpet. I used the add-a-circuit as well, about $15 at Canadian Tire (for our Canadian friends).
Big thanks to applezz for the great pictures of his install, I wired mine just the same.

Got pictures to show?

I just pulled the trigger too and ordered them.

Back