Zoom Zoom BOOM!

Mz3Hatch

:
Black Mica MazdaSpeed3
well its sad to say, ive become a member of the Zoom Zoom BOOM club. 50991 Miles on the car, see sig for mods and year. Was following friends at 60-65 in 6th gear, downshifted to 5th and as soon as i let the clutch out and pressed the gas, i believe sent a rod through the bottom of the block. Reason i say this is because i lost every bit of oil on the shiny C Class Red Mercedes that was behind me, and i havent gotten home yet to see the damage. (happened on tuesday night and im away at the police academy). Hoping Mazda covers it under powertrain warranty, or Ken at PG is getting a phone call possibly!

wow wtf you didnt even have that many mods
that's pretty much what i have besides the bpv

makes me worried everyday driving this car....

that's very strange, I wonder what would have caused that. just make sure before you take it in to the dealer that you take off as much if not all the mods you put on the car so they can't say anything that might have attributed to the failure.

got the word from the dealer today. covered under warranty. ive been through this before actually, had one of the first mazda 3's in 04 and blew one up at 8k miles. it was an automatic though. rolld the timing chain. should be interesting to see what shows when they put it on the computer.

umm as for boost, i was downshifting to get into boost. at such a low speed in 6th gear rpms are only around 2200 or so. so it wouldnt boost. thats why i downshifted to 5th and it went boom.

on my way home right now to demod. im leaving the midpipe on. they have no reason to be under the car and even if they are they wont notice that. but bpv, tip, shifter plate, intake, rmm, trans mount are coming off. ill post up pics if i can of the bottom end once i get it on jack stands for everyone to see the carnage lol.

How can the dealer say it's covered if they do not have the car??? You still have it at home.. An if they see the test pipe can't they CLAIM to much flow.. You, I and everyone else knows thats BS but wont they try anything to not warrenty it??

SUX MAN :(

do yourself a favor and replace the midpipe, otherwise you're going to screw yourself.

When swapping motors at a dealership, we put the car on the lift, and drop it from the bottom removing the subframe and part of the exhuast. We do see any and all mods on the car when we go that deep, except for obvious mods like built blocks or fuel pump internals. Put as much stock parts on as possible. ile admit though, if I saw the test pipe, I wouldnt say anything.

And to set the record straight, we(as techs) usually try not to void warranties. AS much as it sucks, its work for us, and if we can cover it under warranty, there's a bigger chance you will be back to get work done. Regional Reps usually make us tell them about mods to the car. Most of the mods are usually not a big deal, but sadly (And stupidly) the aftermarket BPV or BOV is the warranty killer. When we call Mazda to authorize a warranty repair and replacement, they will ask us directly if theres any visible mods on the car that could have led to the failure, and by the book, and our jobs, we are required to tell them.
Just thought Ide throw that out there to those who think the dealership tries to screw its customers. Believe me, we dont.

gonna cost you a pretty penny....you said it wouldn't boost in 6th gear at 2,200 rpms....it's not a good idea to try to load the car up like that in 6th

i bet you tried to load it up then it detonated or knocked and then you downshifted and continued to try to boost while it was detonating or knocked and you drove straight through it hit lil boost and the pressure caused the rod to snap and your piston seized

gonna cost you a pretty penny....you said it wouldn't boost in 6th gear at 2,200 rpms....it's not a good idea to try to load the car up like that in 6th

i bet you tried to load it up then it detonated or knocked and then you downshifted and continued to try to boost while it was detonating or knocked and you drove straight through it hit lil boost and the pressure caused the rod to snap and your piston seized

wrong. completely. i know the car boosts at 3k or above. i know that when running low rpms you should never load it and try to reach boost. i didnt say i tried to boost in 6th, i said i downshifted into 5th to boost because the rpms were so low. ive never tried to load boost in 6th gear unless at 80-85 mph, which the car is in the 3100-3500 rpm range. and even then im leary on it. and didnt you blow up the car you bought about a month after your purchase from tru-boost?

anywho, it doesnt look like i actually sent a rod through anything. i didnt think and just figured because of all the oil this was the case. but upon de-modding everything i took off my inlet and noticed it was full of oil, and did some looking around. seems like turbo is shot. which is possible. if it blew, the oil would flow out like it did. evrything from the downpipe on down is oil covered and nothing else looks wrong. with the exception of the fins being chewed up, like something got sucked into the turbo. ill find out monday when the dealer looks at it.

the reason that the dealer said it was covered is because powertrain is 60k. and initial thought was blown motor. which is powertrain. ive never had an issue with this dealership, my family has been going there for 25 years.

I wish you the best, hopefully the dealer will take care of everything under power train.

Man I wish Mazda would have used the traditional set up for the fuel system, the HPFP is annoying knowing that eventually it might shut down on ya..Im thinking I might get rid of my car soon cause I don't want to go through this, I like to beat on the car alittle to much and im not always watching for the 3k plus rpm range..honestly if the car was set up like it should have been... you would'nt have to tip toe around until you reach the so called safe zone for the proper fuel pressure....its BS IMO!

wrong. completely. i know the car boosts at 3k or above. i know that when running low rpms you should never load it and try to reach boost. i didnt say i tried to boost in 6th, i said i downshifted into 5th to boost because the rpms were so low. ive never tried to load boost in 6th gear unless at 80-85 mph, which the car is in the 3100-3500 rpm range. and even then im leary on it. and didnt you blow up the car you bought about a month after your purchase from tru-boost?

anywho, it doesnt look like i actually sent a rod through anything. i didnt think and just figured because of all the oil this was the case. but upon de-modding everything i took off my inlet and noticed it was full of oil, and did some looking around. seems like turbo is shot. which is possible. if it blew, the oil would flow out like it did. evrything from the downpipe on down is oil covered and nothing else looks wrong. with the exception of the fins being chewed up, like something got sucked into the turbo. ill find out monday when the dealer looks at it.

the reason that the dealer said it was covered is because powertrain is 60k. and initial thought was blown motor. which is powertrain. ive never had an issue with this dealership, my family has been going there for 25 years.

so visually you didn't see a hole in your block? ur pretty lucky that you got your dealership to help you out.. if your dealership for some reason won't help you...i would suggest dropping the oil pan and then you'll find out what really happened....

yep your right i bought the car from tru-boost....and you're wrong it was 2 1/2 months after i bought the car...that car was beat on pretty bad before i bought it...on msf.com he talked all the time about boosting 20-22 psi all the time on the pg reworked k04...and talked about his car being a rocket ship and beating on it...so it wasn't just my driving that helped with the blowup...but unlike you i don't have a warranty...sucks too cuz u were pretty close to stockish besides intake and BPV... (boom03)

Last edited:
If the compressor wheel is all buggered up, it's shot high velocity FOD through the entire motor. At minimum, a boroscope look around each cylinder and a leakdown test needs to be performed to see if the longblock needs a teardown or not.

@ 60-65mph you should have shifted to 4th, if you were planning to accelerate very briskly, if not 5th would be appropriate for passing.

Sounds like your motor was going to blow anyways, so no biggy either way.

good luck with the dealer/mazda, hopefully they will cover your repairs.

in my speed6 i can ffs from 6th to 4th when going 65. im also assuming that the ratios are about the same.
flooring it around 3k with the inlet and sri causes spikes, and you dont have anything for boost monitoring do you?

Back