You Gotta Be Kidding Me!!!!

Golden-boy

:
Honda CRV
Okay,

So recently I get an oil change at Jiffy Lube. They tell me for a 2014 Mazda CX5, it needs synthetic oil, and the only oil they got that meets that specification, happens to be their most expensive brand. So I end up paying about $100 for an oil change.

Did I get ripped off?

Attached is my receipt.

Next Issue

So they tell me my cabin air filter needs changing, and they happen to have a nice new replacement if I want. I tell them to go jump in a lake as changing this is so easy .... or so I thought.

I go to Canadian Tire, and they tell me I have to go to the dealer to get a new one because no other company makes cabin air filters for the CX5.

Seriously???

What do you fellow CX5 owners think about all this?

Attachments

• I Got Jiffy Lubed.PDF
    95.5 KB · Views: 227
I think USDM supply is improving for those super thin oils, like the 0W20 in the CX-5. But, I wouldn't be surprised if they were truthful when they stated it was all they had. Plus, JiffyLube is SOPUS...isn't Pennzoil all they offer?

Either way, it doesn't warrant charging a 50 percent surcharge over other retailers. Looks like a generic filter utilized as well.

$101 canadian dollars is about $82 US Dollars.
My dealership, I pay $86 for oil change and tire rotation, I also get $20 mail in rebate for each oil change.

I wouldn't take anything but a beater to one of those places (they work on fat commissions, meaning you lose in the end). And most likely they will be less experienced with your vehicle than the least experienced at a dealership. They try to upsell you anything and everything. They wouldn't be in business if all they did was $20 oil changes. At least at the dealer they are more familiar with your car, have the correct references if unsure about something, and it's easier to take action (with Mazda) if something shady is going on. If you choose Moly, yea expect $50 or more, because the oil is about $8 per bottle (and it's highly doubtful that a oil change place would have skyactiv specific mazda brand oil). No matter how you has that; $10 a quart and 50 in labor, or however you mix it, that's way too much.

Last edited:
My dealer uses Castrol for $60(so far 1st and 2nd oil change have been FREE), then you get a $20 coupon off your next oil change. But, since the 1st two were FREE, I now have two $20 coupons towards my next oil change, so, even if they charge me, it would be $60-$20=$40 for Full Synthetic by the dealer, not too bad a deal.

So, OP, Yes, at $100 you got ripped off.

If it's too much trouble to perform your own maintenance, you can attempt to find a service center that will service with oil that you provide. Typically, they'll gladly use a filter you provide, if you buy their oil. But supplying both an oil and filter, or just the oil, they generally won't perform maintenance just for labor.

However, there may be some mom n pop shops out there that'll do it.

You can get a 5 qt. jug of that same oil JiffyLube used for, what, 30 bucks? Plus another 8 or 10 bucks for a GOOD filter. Even at 30 bucks labor, you're still saving money.

Heard too much horror stories of Jiffy Lube literally damaging people's cars. Techs taking cars for joyrides, forgetting to put plug back on, stripping drain plug bolt, ect. Sucks for the honest workers that work for Jiffy Lube that many techs goof off too much. Dealerships have much more stricter guidelines for their techs. They see the same skyactive engine day in and day out. Do you live like 50 miles away from your dealership?

The only negative I've ever heard about these jiffy/quick lube kinds of places is the service people aren't really trained well, and there's a risk of them not caring to be careful and stripping / cross-threading the drain plug threads.

Jiffy lube left the 3'x4' plastic air dam off the bottom of my Vw jetta years ago. When i went back to find it they took me to the room of misfit/forgotten parts. I felt that was pretty sad, so I start ed doing my own light maintenance.

I paid $70 for my oil change at the dealer. Never go to MR Lube or Jiffy Lube for service, I don't even trust Canadian Tire. It may cost more but I know I will get the right oil for the car.

Yeah, I purposely avoid Jiffy Lube since I know they try to sell you more things than necessary... I go to a local place that's relatively cheap and know what they're doing. My first oil change with them was about ~$66 USD or so?

Zero, Nothing, FREE !!

At my Mazda dealer, an oil change is $<70.

At the Mazda dealership where I bought my CX-5 T my oil changes, tire rotations, etc. costs me "Zero, Nothing, FREE !!" That's why I purchased my CX-5 T from them (among other reasons).

CX5T Lover

Last edited:
I would pay (if I didn't have oil for life program) $61.95 + taxes, so it wouldn't be more than about $70 -- they probably got you for at least $30 more. Sorry. Those guys are scammers.

I would pay (if I didn't have oil for life program) $61.95 + taxes, so it wouldn't be more than about $70 -- they probably got you for at least $30 more. Sorry. Those guys are scammers.

Thanks for your thoughts guys. Next time I will go to the Mazda dealership for sure.

I NJ and in SC I pay $49.99 for full synthetic at the dealer. With taxes, etc. It comes out to $57. There is always an oil change special at Mazda dealers. Either go to the specific Mazda dealers site or to MazdaUSA.com and get the coupon. Most times they tell me no need to even bring the coupon in. not sure why people are spending so much? its the same price at every Mazda dealer I have been to for the most part. If no coupon its $60 something bucks.

Back