Yakima Roof Rack on Mazdaspeed 3 (pics

APEXistud

:
1990 Mazda Miata
I know that there are couple of post out there, but just though I'd add mine on here. For those of you who aren't sure whether you want to buy the Yakima Landing Pads/Control Tower route or go the Q-Tower/Q-Clips route. I would encourage you to for the cleaner looking Control Towers. Took me about 15 minutes to install because I was using a 4v drill. haha (headbang) After that it was super easly. Yes, there are holes under the roof rails already so you just need to drill the roof rails them selves and not the roof. Here are some pics with some other pics I took on Highway 9 today.

4984565249_150452ffd9_z.jpg

4984575231_6c458c0f27_z.jpg

4984560663_1d4e28e901_z.jpg

4984566995_f431bfa305_z.jpg

4984576255_65029ddc3e_z.jpg

4984556041_74a7038dcd_z.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
An MSP eh? :D

Damn, auto text. Hehe. I was doing a whole bunch of searches a while back and my puter remembered the searches. Definitely not an MSP. I fixed it.

EDIT: Well, I guess I can't edit the actual title. SO it's stuck saying MSP forever.

Last edited:
How much was your fairing? Did you buy right from Yakima? Just put mine on last night actually, have to buy the locks for the control towers though.

Looks good... maybe we should start a roof rack thread??

EDIT: ^ Done! lol

Last edited:
How much was your fairing? Did you buy right from Yakima? Just put mine on last night actually, have to buy the locks for the control towers though.

I bought everything from REI during their Labor Day sale. All Yakima items were 20% off. I ordered the Highroller bike racks online for $139 each which is a steal, but I haven't received them yet. I totally recommend buying the accessory locks too. Don't want anyone stealing your setup. That would really suck.

off topic question.. is that vynil wrap on the front bumper..im doing a bit off touch up to my 3 because the smiley is too much.. is it glossy or matte and do you wash it like a regular car wash? im gonna put it on the rear bumper as well

Not really sure if it's vinyl. I bought the car with everything on it. The only thing I added was the roof rack. I think it could be paint and it stays on pretty well because the car has a clear bra installed too. Sorry that I couldn't give you a better answer.

Here's mine.

With just the towers on. I leave it on for the snowboarding season. Doesn't ruin my MPG, and easy on/off.

DSC02905.jpg

DSC02909copy.jpg

Here it is with stuff on it.

DSC00782.jpg

DSC00774.jpg

Is there a rack that does not require you to drill the rails.

Yes, both Yakima and Thule make racks that will clip to the sides of the car. The benefit of the rack that bolts on is that I can remove most of the rack in under 1 minute if I want to run it through a car wash. There are also rails that have little doors in them where the rack bolts are.

Back