XelderX's BG FSP Build

Justin, I hope you get it all worked out. There's got to be a solution to your issue. I just wonder if this is the beginning to more "scrutinizing" of your build from your local competitors.

Keeping my fingers crossed for you.

Van (looking forward to competing against you and your protege in Lincoln)

My local guys know what I'm up to. I want the "scrutinizing". I want there to be no stone left unturned when I get to the big show. If there is a question about something I did I want it out in the open as quickly as possible. I already fixed one issue that was noticed involving my aluminum shift linkage. I replaced both the linkage and the stabilizing bar with aluminum pieces, but the latter is not in the rules and therefore not allowed to be changed. I went to the junkyard today and pulled a stock one to install. My brain solves one problem and then forgets about it. I simply implied the wrong thing about the linkage allowance and then moved on to another project never to question it again. I'm glad someone else did.

Just a small update. The motor is out of the car again fixing a few little things. the injectors are being sent off for a cleaning and I'm hoping that solves my little stumbling problem at low TPS values. The injectors have never been cleaned and they have been through a lot of crap over the last 6 years. I re-routed two brake lines from the master cylinder to the proportioning valve that were too close to my throttle body. Now I can tilt the motor back toward the firewall like it is supposed to be. I'll be putting the motor back in next week maybe. It looks like the motor mount rule is going to be changed for 2009 and the stuff that is being left out of the new rule helps me out a ton. I'll probably be making a new set of mounts.

That's good news. Fingers crossed until I actually see it in writing in the FasTrack

That's good news. Fingers crossed until I actually see it in writing in the FasTrack

The change to the motor mounts was in the Oct fastrack(BOD section).
"ITEM 23) Change 15.10.J to read:
Engine mounts may be replaced, but must attach in the factory location(s) without additional modification or changes.
Engine position may not be changed. Hydraulic shock type rear engine locators, or bobble struts may be replaced by manufacturers
performance part or aftermarket replacement part. This part must retain factory dimensions and attachment
points, including factory design. (Example: If factory locator/bobble strut is gas or hydraulic piston type, replacement part
must be gas or hydraulic piston type.)"

http://scca.com/documents/Fastrack/08/08-fastrack-oct.pdf

Any other changes would have to wait until 2010 because 09 rules season is way over now (unless somebody sneaks in a clarifi-change of some sort)

Dude #1(on the phone) "There is some POS car out here hauling ass"
Dude #2---"What kind of car is it?"
Dude #1---"I have no idea."

That's something I would say if I saw your car running and had no idea who you were. Hopefully I'll get down to Nats this year so I can meet some of you guys.

You should come man. At the least, find someone you can tirewarm for. It's going to be a blast this year being back on concrete.

Well they at least need some people to fill in the bottom of GS to bring the ratio of the Cooper S down a bit. I'm definitely planning on going, with my goal being to not come in last.

Man, I meant to get a ton done on the Pro this weekend and I ended up being really lazy. I finished the new brake lines from the master cylinder to the stock proportioning valve. I picked up a set of E30 wheels w/ V700s on them to use for the test and tune events. I also finally got my adjustable cam gears installed as well.

IMG_1968.jpg

IMG_1966.jpg

IMG_1967.jpg

I like the E30 wheels. It resembles the Tracer a bit ;). Check your clearances if the tires are 225's. I noticed today that all 4 are rubbing the struts and contact has been made with the trailing arms.

What was wrong with the stock brake lines? That top left bend of the lower line looks a bit tight.

What was wrong with the stock brake lines? That top left bend of the lower line looks a bit tight.

The stock lines used to route below the vacuum nipple on the brake booster. If you follow the two remaining stock lines that are mounted to the firewall you can see the black clip where the other two original lines attached. They were in the way of my throttle body. With the motor tilted back where it is "supposed" to be the throttle cable cam on the side of the throttle body would hit them. That bend in the line shouldn't be an issue. It's not kinked at all. It was the first line I put in and it happened to be the perfect length. The other line ended up being a few inches too long which is why it has a larger radius bend on the left side.

The motor is now mostly bolted back into the car. I bought brand new front and rear motor mount brackets. Using these the motor was raised in the chassis about 1/2" from my previous mounts and it is now sitting upright. It's much closer to the firewall than I really wanted, but the only part that is interfering is the brake booster hose rubbing on the wiring harness a little right at the nipple on the back of the intake manifold. I can possibly modify this later, but I haven't really looked at it closely enough. I'm not really sure how anyone can claim the car is illegal now. The front and rear motor mounts are straight from the factory stock mounts. There is now no suspicion that the motor is out of place. With the new motor mount rule only saying that the motor mounts must bolt to the factory locations without modification I'm pretty much in the clear with the side mounts not being "stock". There is no wording that says the mounts have to even look like stock or be shaped the same way. They bolt to the chassis in the stock location and to the motor/trans in the stock location....check and check.

Hey look at it this way with the motor further back in the engine bay you will get better weight distribution. Slight as it may be

That's great news, Justin. Seeing that Jinx is on the SPAC (correct?) and in your neck of the woods, you should have it all worked out by Nationlas I hope.

You going to be able to make the Dixie Tour? I was thinking about flying out and codriving with a buddy but money is tight right now.

Van

I'll be at the Dixie tour. I've had some good discussions with Jinx and a few other people about my car. At this point I don't think anyone can protest it. The problem with the whole thing is that no one has built one so the SEB not separating the Proteges in the appendix was never an issue. I exploited that and now everyone sees the mistake. Is there another car in the SP appendix that has a larger UD/BD than the Protege's 14 years? It seems like a pretty gross oversight, but if no one brings it to their attention I can see how it got overlooked.

Wow, 14 years is a helluva long time...I guess I did not put 2 and 2 together until you mentioned it.

The car looks insanely cool, BTW...

Yeah, it takes someone to build something like yours to open eyes to the oddball situations like that.

I'm waiting for someone to exploit the FSP listing for the Honda Accord (82+).

My car for instance was in FSP back in the day with the FWD and RWD on the same line!

Now we're back in FSP but on separate lines which is the way it should have been to begin with.

Good luck, man!

Van

I'm waiting for someone to exploit the FSP listing for the Honda Accord (82+).

THAT could be quite the franken-honda...take about an 89 coupe, or when ever they went to the wishbones, and 'shoehorn' in a late model VTEC...

You could run the 3.5 V6 with like 270HP stock...if it fits...and isnt a boat anchor...and if it is the 2.4 I4 makes like 190 stock! Wow...

EDIT: The base 89 DX coupe a is a 2490 pound car, stock...WOW, again...one could easily get that down, I am sure...Van, you might be on to something...

Last edited:
^

I haven't forgotten about your swaybar, just busy. I'll get it to you soon.

Thanks Justin...I'm not buggin you cuz its colder than hell here right now, and there is no way I'll be working on the car any time soon...if I have it by 3/1...that would be soon enough...

Back