X-Drilled/Slotted Rotor Question

hyperboarder

:
2002 MP5
So I just got my Brembo Cross Drilled and slotted rotors installed, and I think I did it right. However, after watching overhaulin tonight, I think I may have put em on backwards. IMO, I'm right, but who can argue with Foose. I've seen em this way on an MSP on the boards, so I'm curious, which way is right? These pics are how I have them set up currently. The first pic is the drivers rear wheel, the second is the passengers front. If you need more perspective, the slots/drills on the top of the rotor are pointing forward and down in both pics. Anyway, hit me with opinions, thoughts, jibba-jabba, etc.

Last edited:
i never even thought about that when i installed mine many months ago.....will have to check them out. look through the small holes on my steel wheels!!!!!

Looks correct to me as well. I don't think it really makes a difference, but that's the way I've seen all x-drilled installed, so I guess it's the correct way. My suggestion- paint those calipers. (thumb)

Thought about it, I have to bleed the brakes soon, maybe I'll do it then. I'll probably wait till I get another vehicle (motorcycle) so I can give it a long time to dry.

I got the brush-on caliper paint stuff from Autozone and did my calipers w/it. It goes on really easy, you don't have to mask anything off 'cause you use the included brush (no overspray), and I was driving on them 3 hours later. It dries pretty quick. I think it's the duplicolor caliper kit, and I had enough paint to do about 4 cars. I don't have any pics, but they look nice. Took me about an hour to do, including jacking up the car, taking the wheels off and on, etc. Then just waited for them to dry, which was really quick. (thumb)

hmmm...how much did that set u back? I'm considering doing mine...dunno what color yet tho....

As long as the out side tip of the slot hits the caliper first you have them on right. That is from Brembos web site. I have them too. I'll post mine, but I only have a 4 lug so no s*** talking lol. (thumb)

Attachments

• wheel.jpg
    wheel.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 693
Those bronze rims look hot w/ the green...sorry, /tangent

Hughes412 said:
As long as the out side tip of the slot hits the caliper first you have them on right. That is from Brembos web site. I have them too. I'll post mine, but I only have a 4 lug so no s*** talking lol. (thumb)

If that's the case, mine are on backwards, is there a specific reason for that? I really don't feel like switching em, will my way hurt it at all? And, for those wondering, the caliper paint kit is 15 bucks I believe.

aMaff said:
hmmm...how much did that set u back? I'm considering doing mine...dunno what color yet tho....
I think I paid 10.00-15.00 at advanced auto(any parts place should carry them). I got a can(with brush) to do my other car last fall, realized I would probably have enough to do my P5(plus I thought that it looked nice) so I did (thumb)

Attachments

• DSC00296.JPG
    DSC00296.JPG
    282.9 KB · Views: 674
  • DSC00297.JPG
    DSC00297.JPG
    267.6 KB · Views: 668
The front rotors are vented and I believe that you should be ok with either orientation of the rotor since the vents are non-directional. Some rotors have vents that are angled and these usually come marked with for whichever side they are appropriate. Do a search for some porsche or Ferrari wheel pics and you can see what type of sweep they usually do. That is what I did.

I used to have these same rotors on my car and it really is up to you if you like the sweep-forward or sweep-back look of the slots and drill holes.

Well Porsche does it my way, so I'm stickin that way. And the vents are straight, so it shouldn't matter. Also, ronin, how much cleaning did you do before painting? And what color would look good with a silver P5 (if I remember right, they have red, black, and blue)?

hyperboarder said:
Well Porsche does it my way, so I'm stickin that way. And the vents are straight, so it shouldn't matter. Also, ronin, how much cleaning did you do before painting? And what color would look good with a silver P5 (if I remember right, they have red, black, and blue)?

the kit came with a can of cleaner(not totally brake clean), I also used some brake cleaner and scrubbed it down with a bristle brush. I also used some sand paper to get a smoother finish. I didn't take as much time as I would've liked, but it doesn't look to bad IMO. When it comes time to do brakes I will get a sanding disk for the drill and really get them clean(I'll have the calipers off then) and will also add cross-drilled rotors (thumb). I did think about trying to pinstripe the mazda logo or maybe a P5 on the caliper in a contrasting color, never got far with it though. I have seen other colors around(other cars), it is hard to say. I wasn't really sure I was going to go with red(cause car is red) I am trying to go with carbon fiber or gun metal as a trim color around the car. You could getting different colors on index cards and place them where the rotors are and stand back(I know it is not the same but will give you a rough idea)

Last edited:
hyperboarder said:

Well I went back to Brembos web site but it's under construction. I'm not going to say you are messing up but there has to be a reason that they would say to mount them this way. I personally would do it the way the manufacture says.

We went through this a while back too. This is my post, but here is the hole thread.

[Yea its not that great of a pic. You should be able to open the pic to full screen and then put the curser on the bottom right corner and it'll let you inlarge it. But incase you still can't, Brembo said that the Out side slot should hit the pad first, this acts as a shaver on the pads. The holes are for heat and letting the break dust out.]

http://www.msprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=112547&highlight=brembo

This is really insteresting. Since my Brembo's were drilled and slotted by someone other than Brembo, I really think there's no negative effect to the way I have em. And, every Porsche wheel I've seen has the same orientation, but I'm gonna look into this a little more.

girth said:
Hyper, your's are on right.
Hughes, your's are on backwards.

After much searching, it seems to go both ways. I'm leaving mine alone, no trouble yet, but I'd say either way is alright. I would think that Hughes way may eat up pads quicker, but mine may cause uneven wear, so who knows. Anyway, if I learn anything else I'll update.

girth said:
Hyper, your's are on right.
Hughes, your's are on backwards.

No, mine are on the way that the guys at Brembo said to install them. I have seen them turned around on several differant cars though.

Back